PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Head Gasket?

woody
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 08:57
Hi all.

I've just had 0.002" taken off my replacement block and my refurbished head was skimmed too (yet to find out by how much). Would you recommend that I need a thicker Head Gasket?

Cheers in advance.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 19:25
I don't know if anybody makes thicker head gasket for the 850

Jamest5r
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 19:49
Hi all.

I've just had 0.002" taken off my replacement block and my refurbished head was skimmed too (yet to find out by how much). Would you recommend that I need a thicker Head Gasket?

Cheers in advance.

Hi mate, you need someone smarter than me to tell you if that amount of skim would effect the compression on the engine but i would think not, and as Paul say's never heard of them for the 850 but i do know Smithy managed to get a metal one for his 940.

RTS70R
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 20:12
are you sure it was only a "2 thou" skim and not a 0.020" or 20 thou skim
just it seems a very small cut

If you want one these seem to be a good start point

www.ferriday.co.uk

Volvostorm
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 20:20
I have a feeling now the Focus tuning market is opening up, we might benefit from a few goodies, but as they use the 2.5 block the head gasket isn't going to help use.

I'm not surprised about the metal gasket for the 940, there is a lot more tuning bits about for the red block.

pookie
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 22:23
I don't know if anybody makes thicker head gasket for the 850

http://www.ferriday.co.uk/

These guys have made thicker gaskets for me. Not for T5s but I'm sure they could help.

Salut!

Pookie

Volvostorm
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 22:25
http://www.ferriday.co.uk/

These guys have made thicker gaskets for me. Not for T5s but I'm sure they could help.

Salut!

Pookie

I hope they can help :D

Alan M
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 13:49
I used a triple layer metal gasket on the 850 block designed for the s60r so they do work even though they are not the correct bore size. I then switched to an 83mm bore block and again used the same gasket with a late head. You shouldn't really have a problem as you can fit cams with a lift up to 10mm so a few thou cut to both sections shouldn't be to bad as long as the cuts aren't to excessive and you use a mild lift cam setup. so using a standard gasket should be fine without getting a ferriday item made.

woody
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 21:35
I used a triple layer metal gasket on the 850 block designed for the s60r so they do work even though they are not the correct bore size. I then switched to an 83mm bore block and again used the same gasket with a late head. You shouldn't really have a problem as you can fit cams with a lift up to 10mm so a few thou cut to both sections shouldn't be to bad as long as the cuts aren't to excessive and you use a mild lift cam setup. so using a standard gasket should be fine without getting a ferriday item made.

Cheers all, for your replies. I'm picking my block up tomorrow and I can't wait to see it.

Alan. Thanks for your reply. For now, I'll be using standard Cams, so do you think the compression ratio or general clearance will be a problem? I personally don't think so, I'm just cautious after spending so much money so far!:eek:

Thanks again.