PDA

View Full Version : fwd V70, ££££ in the snow.

tim15888
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:56
Noticed this year before last too be honest, and last year, and again today, but wasn't on this forum to winge about it back in those days. Know there isn't really much I can do about it apart from descent tyres, just like to state that my t5 is w@nk in the snow. Anyone else have this problem? You'd think that considering both snow and Volvo's were invented in the same country, so you would expect them to like each other, but no. Mine is better when I turn the traction controll off, which I always turn off anyway, first thing I do when I start the car up. Mine could be rubbish cos' of the big heavy stereo in the back, but I think they all must be like this. Just curious, how's everyone else's in the white stuff?

Tim

volvo
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:03
have you tried snow socks on it? i hear they help.

In Sweden, they have studded tyres (by Law) during winter so they are OK in the snow over there!

merc85
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:08
Noticed this year before last too be honest, and last year, and again today, but wasn't on this forum to winge about it back in those days. Know there isn't really much I can do about it apart from descent tyres, just like to state that my t5 is w@nk in the snow. Anyone else have this problem? You'd think that considering both snow and Volvo's were invented in the same country, so you would expect them to like each other, but no. Mine is better when I turn the traction controll off, which I always turn off anyway, first thing I do when I start the car up. Mine could be rubbish cos' of the big heavy stereo in the back, but I think they all must be like this. Just curious, how's everyone else's in the white stuff?

Tim

My auto's was crap in the Snow, until i drove it backwards! lol

But you cant do that everywhere lol, but i managed to reverse up the hills where my house is easy doing just that.

I'm hoping this year my manual will be better.

volvo
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:09
not with all that power merc lad, i reckon this year is 'sideways' year!!!

Kingsford G
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:10

Tim

Can`t grip can`t go-simple,get 4xwinter tyres.I did better than 4x4s last year with them on in my b6 passat,volvo heavier engine therefore will have a very good grip with snow tyres.

T5R+
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:11
You would have thought that the S60 with the weight of the diesel lump would be better - NO! :scared:

Yosser
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:14
V70 was outstanding last year on Michelin Alpins in the snow, crap the year before on Eagle F1's.

Back on the Alpins now for winter, but also got an xc70 just in case.....

tim15888
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:32
I'm on crappy firestones haha. Passats are always good in the snow KingsfordG, noticed them plodding past all the other stuck cars every year it's snowed recently! haha

M-R-P
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:39
I'm dreading the coming winter. I live at the bottom of a valley. There are 2 roads out, one is really steep, the other is not as steep but has speedramps. The last 2years have seen the roads turn to sheet ice. Coupled with the extra oomph of a now healthy engine and the traction issues i now have In the wet, from the polybuhes, I think I may be walking to work in January :)

p fandango
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:44
my 850 loves the snow, S60 is naff but is alot more under-steery anyway

volvokid
Sunday 18th December 2011, 22:00
Any car is crap in the snow if you dont have the correct tyres. A landy wont go up a muddy hill with road tyres on it.

t5_monkey
Sunday 18th December 2011, 22:14
I'm dreading the coming winter. I live at the bottom of a valley. There are 2 roads out, one is really steep, the other is not as steep but has speedramps. The last 2years have seen the roads turn to sheet ice. Coupled with the extra oomph of a now healthy engine and the traction issues i now have In the wet, from the polybuhes, I think I may be walking to work in January :)

Are the polys causing you wet traction issues?

I don't have any with mine... aside from the torque steer kinda feeling like you're getting tazered :D

M-R-P
Sunday 18th December 2011, 22:41
Are the polys causing you wet traction issues?

I don't have any with mine... aside from the torque steer kinda feeling like you're getting tazered :D

Just seems to spin more in the wet since the polys went in. Yeah torque steer is interesting, not so much during acceleration - when you let off to change gear, its easy to forget that you're hanging off one side of the wheel. Lol.

Mines only part polied tho.

t5_monkey
Sunday 18th December 2011, 23:20
Just seems to spin more in the wet since the polys went in. Yeah torque steer is interesting, not so much during acceleration - when you let off to change gear, its easy to forget that you're hanging off one side of the wheel. Lol.

Mines only part polied tho.

Mines fully done i noticed that the torque steer is a lot 'sharper' when it does kick in.

Get the whole front done it will feel loads better anyway :) maybe your other ones are tired and giving play.

M-R-P
Sunday 18th December 2011, 23:28
Powerflex don't do the 2nd bushes for my wishbones. I'll look into it should the others crap out. I only started the polybush mission cos its cheaper than oe ones.

p fandango
Monday 19th December 2011, 07:33
i only use budget tyres so not the best traction, but i do think the factory P2 traction is a very good system & mine keeps it in check most of the time (got to accidently turn it off & have a play sometimes tho lol)

kwk
Monday 19th December 2011, 14:44
I seem to hear this all the time but, when I was driving them with the Police, I can't ever remember getting stuck.
This is my first year with my own two so it will be interesting to find out when the snow eventually arrives with us. I had two BMW's last year and couldn't get them off the drive.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 14:49
Last year I saw a 58 plate v50 slide down my road sideways. it was a 1.6 drive-e. not much hope for the T5 :eek:

Although, I could stick her in 5th and burn through the ice :)

p fandango
Monday 19th December 2011, 15:07
I could stick her in 5th and burn through the ice :)
we've got quite a steep drive & had to do that before

t5_monkey
Monday 19th December 2011, 15:12
I seem to hear this all the time but, when I was driving them with the Police, I can't ever remember getting stuck.
This is my first year with my own two so it will be interesting to find out when the snow eventually arrives with us. I had two BMW's last year and couldn't get them off the drive.

Welcome KWK

you ex filth ? :) cool job driving T5's for a living mind you - What other machinery did you drive on the job ??

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 15:33
Welcome KWK

you ex filth ? :) cool job driving T5's for a living mind you - What other machinery did you drive on the job ??

I hear it's best to pull over if you're gonna do that sort of thing ;)

kwk
Monday 19th December 2011, 21:14
Welcome KWK

I retired 3 years ago. I started with Triumph 2500's and went on to Granadas, Senators, Omegas, Sierra Cosworths etc. and eventually to the Volvos and BMW's
I was also lucky enough to be part of the purchase group so I was given all sorts of cars to use on trial before we decided to buy them.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 21:23
Almost T Ford to T 5! ;)

kwk
Monday 19th December 2011, 21:25
Not quite that old.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 21:54
Of course not ;)

lance
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 14:12
Triumph 2500 so you waited in the layby and stayed in the layby lol! Nice old cars though the P6 V8 was my favorite from that time.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 14:30
1. Summer tyres do not perform well below 7 degrees irrespective of snow
2. Crappy summer tyres just don't even go there
3. If you are on a budget you can get away with a pair of all season or winter tyres (preferably). Betsy has winters on the front and summers on the rear. Given that when it is cold and wet or snowing your speed should reflect the road conditions - I don't have an issue with it & before any one flames me for saying so - this has to be a better option than summer tyres.
The Volvo is not at fault - FWD is the better option than RWD in the snow - but not as good as AWD/4WD.

Poor conditions & cold snaps seem to be more common - so just like doing A/F service & all the other winter checks is it not prudent to ensure you have the right boots on & embrace your inner boy scout & be prepared.

lance
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 15:05
Another thing I will add to Daves words of wisdom when it snows find an empty car park one its fun and two you can turn the DSTC off (partially on a V50) and learn how your car behaves on ice the handbrake has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions sometimes only a handbrake turn/ power slide can save you when are in a skid!

M-R-P
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 15:08
A car is only ever as good as the squishy thing controlling it ;)

SteveRuss
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 14:20
My old C70 (RIP) T5 wasn't as bad as I would have thought in the snow. There was no real traction when accelerating but it was better than expected considering it's less than average handling in the wet..