PDA

View Full Version : Smokey 850R Very Smokey

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 19:55
Just moved 850r to the garage to make room and get to the bottom of this smoking problem. It smokes constantly, but a hell of alot, only thing ive seen like it is when i had a turbo lunch itself on a tdi passat.

Engine runs and sound great no noises, pcv a little smokey not too terrible.

It was like a battle ship, when they make smoke in the old war films.

It didn't smoke so bad when off throttle.

Ill do a comp test tomorrow.

What are you all thinking? turbo seals as the smoke never seems to go

Or rings? its like no rings ive ever seen smoke before.

Nealevo
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:05
Mine used to smoke constantly, turned out I needed a new turbo!!! Hope you sort it out

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:06
yeah this is more than smoke, ill comp test it but can't see it being rings as mileage is quite low around 130k.

mitchyboy01
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:18
Have you got loads of oil in your boost hoses?

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:23
I haven't checked yet but ill have a quick look tomorrow, looked like smoke was coming from around the turbo area as well.

mitchyboy01
Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:29
I haven't checked yet but ill have a quick look tomorrow, looked like smoke was coming from around the turbo area as well.

So you have smoke from the engine bay and the exhaust?

When you remove the dipstick does smoke come out?

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:08
Ive cleaned out a couple of pcv s as I have 3 t5's, never had the smoke like this before, pcv not too bad. I'll know more when I check the rings tomorrow. If it comes to it I'll have to cha he the engine

claymore
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:11
Could it be over fueling? does it make any difference if you disconnect the maf?

volvo
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:12
what colour is the smoke? and does it stay that colour all the time?

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:23
Yep always blue, def not steam, put it this way I couldn't see the neighbours house anymore lol.

Left it running for 40 mins, still smoking blue.

merc85
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:24
If it was rings id be expecting the smoke to have come on very gradually, not all at once.

My Guess is on the Turbo

If your getting smoke under the engine bay i reckon you have a Cracked PCV hoses under there.

volvo
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:24
i would say its the turbo. i guess you will have to strip it down and only then you will know for sure, but i reckon its a high chance the turbo has had its days

mitchyboy01
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:27
If it was rings it would be breathing very heavily too wouldn't it?

Also, take off the air intake pipe from the turbo and feel for excessive play in the shaft.

bigrotch
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:29
Mate looking like turbo if it is remember it's probably pumped loads of oil into ya exshaust / suitcase mate so best empty that when ya sorting it mate

dalhousie2008
Sunday 18th December 2011, 21:38
I'll have a check about tomorrow but disconnect the exhaust and see if it's as smokey and feel the turbo shaft, and do a comp test but it really bad so i am guessing it's the turbo.

dalhousie2008
Monday 19th December 2011, 16:37
Right had a look today did a quick compression test. all cylinder approx 180 psi, which is fine.

Changed some wheels over as they keep going down, with some of the spare titans.

Solved a couple of problems the smoke i referred to coming for around the turbo area is exhaust smoke. The last owner has tried to remove the turbo and left it hanging by one nut on the exhaust manifold.

There is a small oil leak under the back somewhere, but also one from the front, looks like the rad.

I also borrowed the mbc from it for the standard t5 854, which is a big improvement. The boost needle now goes to the end of the white on the gauge.

Does anybody know if thats detrimental? or how much boost that is?

Also the 854 has a pipe straight across the top of the engine like a rip kit, but looks like its original fitment?

Is the ecu the same for the 855R and 854 T5? (both manual)

So now its whether to put all the bits on the saloon hmmm one to think about.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 16:49
Needle goes to the end of the white bit? may be a bit high, dont floor it before 3000rpm.
As for the pipe across the top of the engine - may be a modified ME7 pipe? does it look like the one in my sig pic (only not silver)?

bigrotch
Monday 19th December 2011, 16:51
Hi mate it sounds like a original ripkit u lucky sod lol.... Oil leak from back could be return turbo feed.... The one at the front either Pcv or dipstick seal... The R Ecu will boost higher than t5... The end Of the White is about 15/16psi mate so dos it still smoke etc personally I'd stick with the R better gearbox etc more sort after etc

dalhousie2008
Monday 19th December 2011, 17:09
rip kit thing look like martins, but in black but no bend to the end of it near the rad. ill post a pic.

yes it certainly gets close to the end of the white, doesn't do the clutch any favors, which is a bit high on the pedal.

But once the turbo cuts in, it feels very savage.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 17:20
Mk1 rip, nice ! :)

dalhousie2008
Monday 19th December 2011, 17:26
just put pic on other post.