PDA

View Full Version : So which is best for performance?

I want a T5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 18:27
Panel filter or induction kit (cone filter)?

I understand that a panel filter will be less conspicuous from a noise point of view but that doesn't bother me.

Opinions welcomed before I start going mad on Ebay/traders!!!

p fandango
Saturday 17th December 2011, 18:30
i've tried many different sealed & open cone filter combinations, my best 1/4mile time was with an open Pipercross cone. Any heat build-up will soon disperse once you start moving

t5_monkey
Saturday 17th December 2011, 18:47
If you want power get a CAIS or panel filter for the existing set up.

For Noise - K&N

p fandango
Saturday 17th December 2011, 18:50
For Noise - K&N
i noticed a big improvement going from a K&N 57i to Pipercross. As said the K&N just added noise, the Pipercross freed the revs up

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:21
k&n panel filter or other make panel filter mate. ££££ all the rest off... I tried a few cones on mine inc 57i kit, and all that happens is everytime you hit traffic on a warm day, the heat soak will ruin your MAF. I went through about 10, too the point where I carry a spare or 2 on me. Not needed to change it scince putting my K&N panel filter in though. Mine is the fly by wire with the newer shape maf in it, but my mate has an R-reg with the old shape maf in it and the same happened to his with a cone filter, even though he put a really gay bonnet vent over the top of it...

daza-b
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:23
k&n panel filter or other make panel filter mate. ££££ all the rest off... I tried a few cones on mine inc 57i kit, and all that happens is everytime you hit traffic on a warm day, the heat soak will ruin your MAF. I went through about 10, too the point where I carry a spare or 2 on me. Not needed to change it scince putting my K&N panel filter in though. Mine is the fly by wire with the newer shape maf in it, but my mate has an R-reg with the old shape maf in it and the same happened to his with a cone filter, even though he put a really gay bonnet vent over the top of it...

put a fan under it haha

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:37
Haha, I almost did that! Bought a pc fan. Was easier just to panel filter it up though, and really not much different at all.

t5_monkey
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:40
i noticed a big improvement going from a K&N 57i to Pipercross. As said the K&N just added noise, the Pipercross freed the revs up

I want the GGR CAIS intake from the Focus... but it's £500 :(

Apparently on Nosh's it had 22bhp more with the GGR CAIS on compared to K&N!

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:42
22bhp? Cant see that, no way. Is it a ram air system?

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:46
Just looked it up, looks dead easy to make. Well if it's the same as the one for the fiesta. I have a lathe at work aswell, might make one for my origeonal K&N cone, it's just a K&N with a bellend that goes round it to erect cold air into it :)

I want a T5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:55
I'll probably go with a panel.

I remeber hearing about drilling holes in the air box.......is this good or an urban myth?

I want a T5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:56
Are there any other is mods I can do as well as exhaust and induction before I get the re map/ECU??

p fandango
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:56
I want the GGR CAIS intake from the Focus... but it's £500 :(

Apparently on Nosh's it had 22bhp more with the GGR CAIS on compared to K&N!
i had a £300 Pipercross Viper & made no difference to having there open cone. 22bhp, was that on a Maha dyno lol

I want a T5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:57
And yes guys, I will be making the brakes and suspension is tip top condition!

p fandango
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:58
I remeber hearing about drilling holes in the air box.......is this good or an urban myth?
if your going to drill the air box & get the air from the engine bay you might as well get a cone filter, getting the air from exactly the same place

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 20:04
if your going to drill the air box & get the air from the engine bay you might as well get a cone filter, getting the air from exactly the same place

Don't do anything drastic, drilling holes in the airbox is a silly thing to do... people who want a cone, but don't want to buy one do things like that...

Peanut1
Saturday 17th December 2011, 22:20
Defo K&N panel for me!! Not heard good things about the cones on these and alos the same on the M3 too!!!

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 22:24
Defo K&N panel for me!! Not heard good things about the cones on these and alos the same on the M3 too!!!

Have you got an M3? How does it compare to a T5?

t5_monkey
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:02
i had a £300 Pipercross Viper & made no difference to having there open cone. 22bhp, was that on a Maha dyno lol

haha well they did sell it to him! so you do wonder...

p fandango
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:20
i've had my T-5 over 12years, lost count of how many different cone-filter/airbox combinations i've been thru (even tried using no filter) & still on my original MAF sensor. You were remembering to plug the MAF in? lol

t5_monkey
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:21
I had a K&N and changed my MAF at 5 years old.... not sure if it was the FPS that was faulty really tho

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:38
i've had my T-5 over 12years, lost count of how many different cone-filter/airbox combinations i've been thru (even tried using no filter) & still on my original MAF sensor. You were remembering to plug the MAF in? lol

Haha, the first one that went actually melted when I was in traffic, well I'm exagerating a bit there but the glue round it all went all soft and gooey like it was starting to melt, and I don't mean melting from a electrical short. Was like if you pointed a heat gun at it for too long. The others I had go all went when sat in traffic too, but not as badly, they was still useable but not 100% (probably like a non-Bosch replacement) so I always changed them (with Bosch ones). It was only the 1st one that was obviously gone when it went, but the others just made it run lumpy when cold, or have no poke before the turbo spooled up. Stuff like that, most people couldn't actually tell that there was even a fault with it but I notice everything on my car so couldn't drive it like that without it pissing me off lol. Is yours the older engine type with an accelorator cable, and the squared off plug on the MAF rather than the one with rounded off corners? Might be a more resiliant sensor, even though my mate who had a K&N on his with that type of sensor on, also went, but only once, could have been coincidence I suppose....

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:40
I had a K&N and changed my MAF at 5 years old.... not sure if it was the FPS that was faulty really tho

FPS? What's that? Not clued up on all this short hand, you mean the TPS? lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:40
I have a spare K&N cone in my shed - it doesnt fit my MAF housing. Measure yours & I will see if we can do a deal if you like?

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:44
Was it a 57i that's too small by any chance? I had to cut the hole bigger to fit mine. Mine's sat in the bottom of my toolbox at work collecting dust scince I took it off lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:49
Could well be - I bought it on a whim from someone on here (don't remember who)

Sat in the shed - unadulterated.

tim15888
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:52
Hahaha, it not fitting probably saved you some MAFs...

M-R-P
Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:57
Just to add my bit... put a powerflow cone on mine a while ago and it made such a difference to the engine sound that I had to start a thread titled "is this normal" to make sure i hadn't broken the car! the sound of the recirc dumping into the inlet is waay nicer than a dump valve imo, I have mine sat in the bottom half of the airbox, with the inlet pipe still attached so pulling some cold from the front. This also resonates the induction and recirc sound in a way that makes everybody (except Mrs. MRP) smile and try to mimic the "BWWWAARRRR - SHUUUS" noise :):):)
Done a few tweaks to the way the filter connects to the maf and now it flows much better with a noticeable difference in bottom-end grunt.
Luuurrrvely ;)