PDA

View Full Version : Vredestein Winter Xtreme winter tyres

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 03:04
Just thought i would let you all know that i am now sitting on the above in 235/40 ZR 18 extra load.

Spoke to Vredestein and as with their other tyre (which i use in the summer) The Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, they must be inflated to 4 psi over normal use, ie, on a V70R P2 normal use is 36psi. therefore mine ran at 39psi. This is due to the make up of the construction of the tyre and its shape in relation to the road surface. Very difficult to explain in a thread but with previous Vredesteins they had problems with the outside edges wearing prematurely (nothing to do with alighnment). Mine did the same on my Ultracs on my laser. This was 4 years ago now and since then they sussed the problem. Hense the tyres now must run at 39psi.

I will let you know how good these tyres are in the white stuff but so far they are awesome. Done 60 miles and all the tyres still have the hair on them!! At least i know my alignment is bang tidy.

Cost was £696 delivered. Think i got the last set in the UK as they were nigh on impossible to get. Read reviews from Germany and Sweden...probably the best winter tyre you can get and cheaper than Conti's.

Kingsford G
Saturday 17th December 2011, 03:30
They are the best winter tyres all day long.

Al115
Saturday 17th December 2011, 08:11
I have fitted winters too, but I went for 185/55 15s. That's on the Yaris :)

I don't do much mileage tbh so can't justify winter tyres on the whole fleet... the Volvo will have to stay on summer tyres with good tread!

Santa
Saturday 17th December 2011, 09:08
I have fitted winters too, but I went for 185/55 15s. That's on the Yaris :)

I don't do much mileage tbh so can't justify winter tyres on the whole fleet... the Volvo will have to stay on summer tyres with good tread!

TBH though that should be good enough unless the weather gets really really bad

The Flying Moose
Saturday 17th December 2011, 09:55
TBH though that should be good enough unless the weather gets really really bad

Are you keeping the R888's on for winter :saythat:

Lee, slightly off-topic but how do you find the Vredestein Sessanta's? I am stuck between Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and the Sessanta's for the 850.

I have heard excellent reviews of both and been in a S70 fitted with the Yoko's and it handled brilliant but at the same time everyone raves about the Vredesteins... help!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 10:21
I used Vreddy Ultrac sessantas during the summer for years but then they disappeared up their own bottoms & hoicked up the price to something silly. I'd love a set of the winters but they are jolly expensive - 175 quid a corner is too rich for my liking - the Falken winter tyres I have on Betsy now did superbly during last winter on the white stuff & ice.

Just trying to find a decent set of winters now for Trudy.

Santa
Saturday 17th December 2011, 10:44

Lee, slightly off-topic but how do you find the Vredestein Sessanta's? I am stuck between Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and the Sessanta's for the 850.

I have heard excellent reviews of both and been in a S70 fitted with the Yoko's and it handled brilliant but at the same time everyone raves about the Vredesteins... help!

So far the R888's have been better than the conti's from last year

The Flying Moose
Saturday 17th December 2011, 10:45

Jesus that is something...

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 12:31
Cost was £696 delivered. Think i got the last set in the UK as they were nigh on impossible to get. Read reviews from Germany and Sweden...probably the best winter tyre you can get and cheaper than Conti's.
I've heard the new Nokian WR A3 is a good tyre, but like you say these more obscure tyres are harder to find in the uk.

Leeds_finest
Saturday 17th December 2011, 14:15
My dad runs Ultrac Sessanta on his Jag XJR - good tyres apparently?

I run Vredestein Ultrac 'something else' on my S60R, 235/40/18 95Y XL same as yours, not sure which exact tyre it is though? It has a straight tread, like the Pzero Rosso, unlike the Sessanta.

graemewelch
Saturday 17th December 2011, 14:43
Got ns2 winter tyres on mine. cost me £70 and all have 7mm of tread. bought them in june off ebay. they prob arnt the best tyre available but they perform well and are better than summer tyres in the snow. i woulldnt hesitate to buy them again

Leeds_finest
Saturday 17th December 2011, 16:49

Lol my colleagues Pulsar has R888's and it was a death trap in the snow. He reckons it was because his 4WD was up the creak, but I maintain it was because he was running semi's in the snow LOL :)

Got ns2 winter tyres on mine. cost me £70 and all have 7mm of tread. bought them in june off ebay. they prob arnt the best tyre available but they perform well and are better than summer tyres in the snow. i woulldnt hesitate to buy them again

Yes I had NS2 Nankang's on my V6 Vectra and everyone slates Nankangs but they were fine on my car.

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:33
I used Vreddy Ultrac sessantas during the summer for years but then they disappeared up their own bottoms & hoicked up the price to something silly. I'd love a set of the winters but they are jolly expensive - 175 quid a corner is too rich for my liking - the Falken winter tyres I have on Betsy now did superbly during last winter on the white stuff & ice.

Just trying to find a decent set of winters now for Trudy.

You might save yourself £50 - 100 on budgets but you'll be sliding all over the place. Got a mate wiv the same car as me and his budget winters are hopeless, trust me...its worth spending the extra doe. Plus i will get years out of them as they will only be on the car until March. The Falkens are ok, but i researched these tyres for hours and they won so many awards its unreal. £ for £ they are leagues ahead of the competition.

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:36

Best tyre i have had so far. Hard wearing, quiet and grip amazing!!
I think the Yoko's are a softer compound. Had Yoko's before on my T5 and i demolished them in 12k. Switched to Vreds and they lasted about 18k. You do the maths...:smile:

cherry1809
Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:41
Am I being thick (Probably, Lol) What's the difference between summer and winter tyre's? Never been bothered to change them TBH. If it gets too snowy I just stay at home and get paid. Lol.
We're not living in Sweden.

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 19:21
Am I being thick (Probably, Lol) What's the difference between summer and winter tyre's? Never been bothered to change them TBH. If it gets too snowy I just stay at home and get paid. Lol.
We're not living in Sweden.

No were not living in Sweden and if we were we would all have winter tyres on by now, by law, all fitted inc metal studs!

Everyone seems to think that winter tyres are just for when it snows. There not. When the road surface temps gets to around 7 degress C or less than a summer tyre stops doing what its meant to do and your braking distance can be increased by as much as 50% depending on weather you have a budget summer tyre or an expensive summer tyre with a harder compound. The summer tyre becomes rigid and cannot flex and mould itself to the varying road surface as you drive. Therefore, you lose traction. You might not notice on a V70R/S60R as they are awd but none the less, the TRACS and Haldex will still be working harder due to the increased lack of traction. factor in the large inline grooves for channeling water and large areas of uninterrupted rubber with no slots, grooves or channels and you got a recipe for disaster when it comes to snow and ice. Its against the law in places like Norway and Sweden to even drive on any tyre unless fitted with winters with studs. Switzerland won't even let you in the country if you don't have snow chains!!

A snow tyre is much softer hense the speed rating is much less than a summer. Also the tread pattern is more suited for gripping ice and slush, which when driven on compacts into ice anyway. The tyre remains very pliable and can flexes easily, therefore increasing traction in cold weather and extra grip in snow and ice conditions.

Redbrick
Saturday 17th December 2011, 20:44
Just wondering what winter tyres you've actually used before to hail VReds as the best?

I've used Wintercontacts and Goodyear Ultragrip 7's but find my Michelin Alpin A4's to be as good if not better but with the benefit of being harder wearing.

Was toying with the Wintrac Extremes as I love the Ultrac Sessantas as a summer tyre.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 20:56
Trust me - I am not running budget tyres. The Falkens served me well for both Cadwell park & Oulton and 8Ks worth of road use. Best value for money IMHO.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 17th December 2011, 21:23
Phoned my local tyre place today for a price on some tyres, the guy told me they had some Sunew and Primewell tyres in for £63 and £69 each, said they were good in the wet, blah blah. So I popped on a tyre review website and both these tyres are summer tyres and have very very bad reviews to the point that they are dangerous! (not just a few reviews, but over 700!).

I knew these tyres would be bad, but the thing that gets me is that this tyre place is selling summer tyres at a time when the weather is not going to get better, and the place is not a dodgy backstreet company, they are a professional place with knowledgable guys and great customer service. If this is the norm, no wonder there are so many accidents, obviously driver experience is a big factor, but its better if the rubber you have on is fit for purpose.

Now I'm searching for a place to get some winter tyres from for a low price as I just can't afford £150 a corner, thats just silly.

Santa
Saturday 17th December 2011, 21:42
Lol my colleagues Pulsar has R888's and it was a death trap in the snow. He reckons it was because his 4WD was up the creak, but I maintain it was because he was running semi's in the snow LOL :)

They have been quite lethal recently, having to do AWD burnouts just to get heat into them

Leeds_finest
Monday 19th December 2011, 21:45
Lol who knows, his was really bad, just a tap of the throttle and it would do an 'on-the-spot' donut :(

...20 yr old jap crap :)

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 22:53
My dad runs Ultrac Sessanta on his Jag XJR - good tyres apparently?

I run Vredestein Ultrac 'something else' on my S60R, 235/40/18 95Y XL same as yours, not sure which exact tyre it is though? It has a straight tread, like the Pzero Rosso, unlike the Sessanta.

That will be the Ultrac 'Cento'. Good tyre but not as good as Sessanta.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 19th December 2011, 22:57
That will be the Ultrac 'Cento'. Good tyre but not as good as Sessanta.
again no longer worth the money.

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:06
Trust me - I am not running budget tyres. The Falkens served me well for both Cadwell park & Oulton and 8Ks worth of road use. Best value for money IMHO.

I never said you were on budgets Dave. Just making the comment about budgets in comparison to Premium. falkens are great tyres but i can't comment personally as i have never fitted them. I just know from reading countless reviews in the past about different makes and model tyres which ones i would avoid and which ones i would consider. The point i'm making with regards the Vreds is that their winter tyres (particularly the Winter Extreme) seem to come out top in nearly all the comparisons, tests and benchmarks when tested by several countries in Europe. Countries like Sweden, Norway and Germany take this stuff so seriously. I opted for the best on paper, hense why i am saying i will personnaly test them myself this winter and let you all know how they perform.
You only have to Google them for 10 minutes to find loads of test results about the Vreds being the best. Something about the very distinctive 'W' shape pattern!

Anyway,, read and judge for yourselves. I'm doing a physical test. Let you know what i think when the Bluebells pop up.

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:07
again no longer worth the money.

meaning? Whats no longer worth the money?