PDA

View Full Version : OIL leak sorted, Turbo Return to Block

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:33
As above after a new seal and washer's she is now all sorted,

And i can say she goes like Stink with her 18t.

5th gear acceleration at 70 ish mph is outstanding.

And the lower gear's By Christ certainly feel Rapid.

Hardly no lag And at 3k she really gets up and go's

Thanks for everyones help in sorting the leak

volvo
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:39
hey merc, well done mate. The persistance and hard work has finally paid off.......

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:46
This car is wearing me out Finacially and mentally lol

But she's really coming together now, although i think a Brake upgrade is Now required, the 302's just dont inspire any confidence.

mitchyboy01
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:47
Good lad. Glad you got it sorted!!

volvo
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:51
i know mate....you can keep spending on them...i was hoping the 302's would be OK i guess but not for 18/19T tuned power.....let the new year roll on and see how you go...in the mean time, SLOW down and dont let Gav line up with you teasing ya to race lol

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:51
Good lad. Glad you got it sorted!!

Thanks mitchy,

volvolised
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:52
Glad its sorted merc, thanks for the sleepless nights..lol have you had your ecu mapped for it. if not and to protect your rods never give it full throttle at low revs in a high gear as that will be bend rods territory...i'm sure you'll enjoy .

T5frankie
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:56
well done mate still no 19t though is it lol

T5frankie
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:57
Glad its sorted merc, thanks for the sleepless nights..lol have you had your ecu mapped for it. if not and to protect your rods never give it full throttle at low revs in a high gear as that will be bend rods territory...i'm sure you'll enjoy .

yeah wait till after 4000rpms before flooring it

volvolised
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:59

its better than a 19t that doent have the 3" angled ex flange

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:00
i know mate....you can keep spending on them...i was hoping the 302's would be OK i guess but not for 18/19T tuned power.....let the new year roll on and see how you go...in the mean time, SLOW down and dont let Gav line up with you teasing ya to race lol

The only time i will be racing is on the 1/4 buddy, i'm completly content with the power of her now.

Wanna get her all set up properly with another remap just to tidy any loose end's. and a rollin road session would be interesting.

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:01

No thank god lol

volvolised
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:02
yeah wait till after 4000rpms before flooring it

1st second and third are ok if from standstill( you'll hold back cos of wheelspin anyway) just dont give it full chat if already in 4th or 5th at anything under 3k p.s did you fit a 3" downpipe too..a decat for a 1/4 will be excellent

Jim S70R
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:09
Glad you've got it sorted Merc, a passanger ride is needed at some point ;)

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:12
Glad you've got it sorted Merc, a passanger ride is needed at some point ;)

No problem Jim, just been txtn your Bro. Just understand she aint the Mintest/tightest example an done 150k lol

But for a 7 Seater she go's very well now lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:31
The only time i will be racing is on the 1/4 buddy, i'm completly content with the power of her now.

Wanna get her all set up properly with another remap just to tidy any loose end's. and a rollin road session would be interesting.

Glad you got it sorted, i think you have the best turbo in the 18t :)

Would be good to see you at a few 1/4miles next year.

If you looking for a cheap map ask Hamish for a copy of the map i had done im sure he will do it for the standard rate as ive paid for the hard work lol, it was dyno'ed at 268 WHP and 456 n/m on my 16t, i then swopped to an 18t and it went even better :)

Volvostorm
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:36
Its good when its an easy fix :)

Kingsford G
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:40
As above after a new seal and washer's she is now all sorted,

And i can say she goes like Stink with her 18t.

5th gear acceleration at 70 ish mph is outstanding.

And the lower gear's By Christ certainly feel Rapid.

Hardly no lag And at 3k she really gets up and go's

Thanks for everyones help in sorting the leak

You have to take me for a ride mate,can`t wait feel the power lol.I have to come down probably sunday to get a couple bits from Rotch so so can pop in if about.I think I`ve cought your car insenity disease lol.

AndysR
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:42
Good news, now time to enjoy your hard work :)

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:44
You have to take me for a ride mate,can`t wait feel the power lol.I have to come down probably sunday to get a couple bits from Rotch so so can pop in if about.I think I`ve cought your car insenity disease lol.

Your always welcome my friend, you will probably find me under or over a Volvo who's one is anyones guess pmsl Hopefully NOT mine lol

Kingsford G
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:54
Your always welcome my friend, you will probably find me under or over a Volvo who's one is anyones guess pmsl Hopefully NOT mine lol

Great,also so glad u got that leak sorted.I know by myself it wouldn`t` get out of me head unless it`s sorted.Got a busy day on sunday 6am taking wife and kid to London on euro train at least 4hours journey and pick up of her unc at 11pm from heathrow so coming down and seeng u guys and your cars will be my chilling lol

bigrotch
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:58
Glad you got it sorted, i think you have the best turbo in the 18t :)

Would be good to see you at a few 1/4miles next year.

If you looking for a cheap map ask Hamish for a copy of the map i had done im sure he will do it for the standard rate as ive paid for the hard work lol, it was dyno'ed at 268 WHP and 456 n/m on my 16t, i then swopped to an 18t and it went even better :)
Mmmm I've got q mint 16t to go on blacky off my burgundy one, I was goin to sell it and get 18t after being in mercs but if u say I couldget 268whp which must be close to 300bhp I'd settle for that as its my daily driver

M-R-P
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:03
Been out all evening so I missed this thread. Well done merc, glad its all sorted. Now be smug and enjoy the fruits of your labours. :beer:

Jamest5r
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:06
Mmmm I've got q mint 16t to go on blacky off my burgundy one, I was goin to sell it and get 18t after being in mercs but if u say I couldget 268whp which must be close to 300bhp I'd settle for that as its my daily driver

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8257&d=1267369274

:)

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:12
Been out all evening so I missed this thread. Well done merc, glad its all sorted. Now be smug and enjoy the fruits of your labours. :beer:

Cheers Mart your a true Gent, thanks for your imput about changing the washer's and seal's.

AndysR
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:17

You can get 300hp from a 15g with the right mod's so not an issue getting the same from a 16t..
I bet you want more when you go up against Merc though.. ;) lol

volvo
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:18
Gav, you can get 300BHP from a 16T with the correct supporting mods!

bigrotch
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:44
Andy im goin to be disapointed in Myne once it all the running issues get sorted out again etc just got to remember it's a daily driver tho which hurts as I want a 18 t but I know I can't be trusted ie heavy foot = big fuel bills etc lol

AndysR
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:56
Andy im goin to be disapointed in Myne once it all the running issues get sorted out again etc just got to remember it's a daily driver tho which hurts as I want a 18 t but I know I can't be trusted ie heavy foot = big fuel bills etc lol

I doubt your going to be "disappointed" with it. Afterall a chipped T5 is always a good hoot regardless of the turbocharger, I doubt a bigger turbo will make a huge difference to the fuel consumption and with more power you don't have to use it all at all times ;)

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 23:57

I dont think you will be dissapointed, your Engine in blacky is a Fit one, the 16t is also fit, get it set up right and i think you will be dissapointed.

The thing about the 18t is at the top end of legal speeds if/when you put your foot down it is where you will notice the difference most.

mid range torque it seems very quick/powerfull.

If you relate it to engine size i'd say a 18t is like having another cylinder under the bonnet.

merc85
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:09
I doubt your going to be "disappointed" with it. Afterall a chipped T5 is always a good hoot regardless of the turbocharger, I doubt a bigger turbo will make a huge difference to the fuel consumption and with more power you don't have to use it all at all times ;)

I've noticed, with the 18 the fuel consumption has been effected quite heavly, although it has been short trips and not on a run.

Time will tell but so far 23mpg has been a average. theres been alot of testing short trips stop starts checking leaks etc. i reckon a 28mpg should be the norm on 20 mile run.

AndysR
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:13
I've noticed, with the 18 the fuel consumption has been effected quite heavly, although it has been short trips and not on a run.

Time will tell but so far 23mpg has been a average. theres been alot of testing short trips stop starts checking leaks etc. i reckon a 28mpg should be the norm on 20 mile run.

Lol, in fairness I very much doubt any of the driving since the 18t was fitted has been what you would call "economical" driving ;)

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:17
glad to hear youve sorted it mate and with 23 mpg makes me think im doing something wrong i get,and im not exaggerating,14.6 avg i know its running a bit rich but with all your mods 23 aint bad at all ;)

AndysR
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:19
glad to hear youve sorted it mate and with 23 mpg makes me think im doing something wrong i get,and im not exaggerating,14.6 avg i know its running a bit rich but with all your mods 23 aint bad at all ;)

Ouch, something clearly amiss there.. Although in fairness currently that's the least of your worries I guess...

merc85
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:19
Lol, in fairness I very much doubt any of the driving since the 18t was fitted has been what you would call "economical" driving ;)

hand on heart, ive had a oil leak and bearing whine, not to mention a manifold leak lol but she is settling in nicely.

I do spare mechanical sympathy, hence 3k oil changes. i have had the odd blast of course lol

AndysR
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:22
hand on heart, ive had a oil leak and bearing whine, not to mention a manifold leak lol but she is settling in nicely.

I do spare mechanical sympathy, hence 3k oil changes. i have had the odd blast of course lol

Frequent engine oil changes is by far and away the single best thing you could ever do to an engine...

merc85
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:23

Dont go by the computer, mine reads 3mpg out avarage over a tank.

I always fill to the brim set the trip run for as many miles as i like then refil to the brim and work it out.

Last week a Trip to dorset at 70mph ave, Averaged out at 30.1 Mpg. 407 miles from 1 tank.

It's all about keeping a constant speed.

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:28
Ouch, something clearly amiss there.. Although in fairness currently that's the least of your worries I guess...

lol tell me about it but my bro did tell me just before it happened there was plumes of black smoke coming out back so engine first and fuelling after like i told bigrotch im sick of these harwich boys dominating the mod threads at the mo so i need to pull my finger out :rolleyes: lmao

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:30

I always fill to the brim set the trip run for as many miles as i like then refil to the brim and work it out.

Last week a Trip to dorset at 70mph ave, Averaged out at 30.1 Mpg. 407 miles from 1 tank.

ahhh thats were im going wrong its constant speed......i thought it constantly speeding :eye-poppi lmfao

AndysR
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:30

Very true and tbh my onboard mpg calculations have become more inaccurate since the greens were fitted so I'm guessing it is preprogrammed for the flow rate of oranges...

I must confess I am very pleased with my mid 30's mpg considering the return I get for that in performance :)

AndysR
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:33
lol tell me about it but my bro did tell me just before it happened there was plumes of black smoke coming out back so engine first and fuelling after like i told bigrotch im sick of these harwich boys dominating the mod threads at the mo so i need to pull my finger out :rolleyes: lmao

They only dominate the mod threads because they keep breaking their cars..... Oh.... I forgot you've.... :0

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:38
They only dominate the mod threads because they keep breaking their cars..... Oh.... I forgot you've.... :0

that actually made me chuckle and in fairness it was a cheap looking mr2 that made me break my car and a brother egging me on...thats my excuse and im sticking to it lmao

merc85
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:41

Breaking there Car's!!! thats because only owner's of GAY gold Volvo's can drive to perfection, or so i've read, theres always a acception to the rule (jim) lol

Not my Fault she's RED fast, unrelible, thirsty, Handles like a sack p** Practically rebuilt her from another of her kind, and has her time of the month, mind you she is still on her "original engine" for how long is anyones guess.

But i love her all for it lol

bigrotch
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:46

U might aswell put ya feet up with ya pipe and slippers mate cos soon as all the bits and issues are sorted on blacky u ain't gunna get a look in fella... Just read and envy it pmsflmao and admit them HARWICH boys just whooped the London boys asses pmsl

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:49
you pretty much just described my missus lmao shhhh dont tell her i said that ;)

theflyingbrick
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:52
U might aswell put ya feet up with ya pipe and slippers mate cos soon as all the bits and issues are sorted on blacky u ain't gunna get a look in fella... Just read and envy it pmsflmao and admit them HARWICH boys just whooped the London boys asses pmsl

you just keep fuelling the fire my good man,atleast when its all over youll have enough boot space to curl up and cry in lmfao

merc85
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:58
you just keep fuelling the fire my good man,atleast when its all over youll have enough boot space to curl up and cry in lmfao

Mines full off seats lol

bigrotch
Friday 16th December 2011, 00:58
Or enough boot space for the towpole to pull yrs to keep up mate ;) hehehe

t5steve
Friday 16th December 2011, 08:43
well done merc......glad you got your leak sorted