PDA

View Full Version : Projector Headlights

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 07:58
Does anyone have any experience of projector headlights on P2 models? I have an 03 V70 with the standard reflector headlights. I have had all kinds of 'performance' bulbs, but I still don't get what I feel is a decent ammount of light on the road. I have had the beam patterns checked and re-aligned. It still seems that I can see more of the wild life in the trees and hedges, than I can 150yrds down the road!

I was thinking of the HID route in the standard reflector housing, but as a high mileage driver, I don't want to be 'one of them' that you meet on the road and leave people blinded.

Are there any decent aftermarket projector units that would fit? I've seen some on ebay, but theyre from Taiwan and £65 postage is a big risk if I don't like them.

Do any p2 models have projectors that I might be able to get from a breakers that would fit? I'm sure I read somewhere that the XC70 had projectors as an option.

Does anyone have some projectors kicking around and would exchange them for some christmas cash?

Ultimatley with projectors in place, I'd feel easier about fitting HID's (Cue debate on legality) as I wouldn't be putting up a wall of glare.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 08:20
Does anyone have any experience of projector headlights on P2 models? I have an 03 V70 with the standard reflector headlights. I have had all kinds of 'performance' bulbs, but I still don't get what I feel is a decent ammount of light on the road. I have had the beam patterns checked and re-aligned. It still seems that I can see more of the wild life in the trees and hedges, than I can 150yrds down the road!

I was thinking of the HID route in the standard reflector housing, but as a high mileage driver, I don't want to be 'one of them' that you meet on the road and leave people blinded.

Are there any decent aftermarket projector units that would fit? I've seen some on ebay, but theyre from Taiwan and £65 postage is a big risk if I don't like them.

Do any p2 models have projectors that I might be able to get from a breakers that would fit? I'm sure I read somewhere that the XC70 had projectors as an option.

Does anyone have some projectors kicking around and would exchange them for some christmas cash?

Ultimatley with projectors in place, I'd feel easier about fitting HID's (Cue debate on legality) as I wouldn't be putting up a wall of glare.

A dilema I am currently mulling - over...
The post 2004/05 models have projectors as part of the facelift kit. There are also directional xenons on some models (S60R/V70R). HIDs can be bought cheap but like you say, don't wanna smash people in the face with a light hammer!

volvokid
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 08:26
The lights from the R's wouldnt fit martin, there a different shape.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 08:49
Oh yep, still, think that there are xenons for the standard 60/70s tho. Pretty sure a chap at work had a S60 with them in.

volvokid
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 08:57
Oh yep, still, think that there are xenons for the standard 60/70s tho. Pretty sure a chap at work had a S60 with them in.

Yeah there was bound to be on the later ones. The xenons on my C70 were actually quite dangerous, the low beam was pathetic, thats the only car I havnt felt comfortable driving at night, the V50 I drove had the STD lights and yeah they were poor on dipped but nothing like the Xenons. The Xenons on the R are very good so I would think the ones you get on the other ones should be good too.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 09:01
Best lights I ever used were (can't believe I'm saying this) on a Nissan Note! (we had 2 of them:() They were stupidly bright due to the design of the reflector. to finish them off, I put a set of Ring 90/130W Rally spec bulbs in ;) Enforced daylight hahahaha

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 10:54
If the lights from the R wouldn't fit, would a projector lamp from a post facelift model fit? Any good sources of said facelift headlamps?

volvokid
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 11:00
Hmm im not to sure, the R's defo wont fit and even if they did I think there about £600 each!!!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 11:46
If the lights from the R wouldn't fit, would a projector lamp from a post facelift model fit? Any good sources of said facelift headlamps?

I just checked my local scrappy and they don't have any :(

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 13:15
Best lights I ever used were (can't believe I'm saying this) on a Nissan Note! (we had 2 of them:() They were stupidly bright due to the design of the reflector. to finish them off, I put a set of Ring 90/130W Rally spec bulbs in ;) Enforced daylight hahahaha

PERVERT!!!! :rotfl:

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 13:21
PERVERT!!!! :rotfl:

I know, I know. I'm all better now. Gotta car twice the size and 3 times the power hahaha - oh and a third of the mpg...? ahhh sod it, polar bears are still alive aren't they? ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:34
I bought HID bulbs specially designed to work with regular reflectors. I don't get flashed at.

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 21:29
I did look at the H7R kits. Do they really work and avoid blinding people, or is it just the latest gimmick? Anyone else with any experience of them?

MattM
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 21:43
Easy enough to fit HID kit to a 2005 S60?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 23:26
Yes I believe so

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 23:41
Wobbly's hids are very nice (they are all working now I hope Dave ;))

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 23:44
Wobbly's hids are very nice (they are all working now I hope Dave ;))
Yes one of the balasts went south but I bought a new one & a spare - everything is good now.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 23:49
Yes one of the balasts went south but I bought a new one & a spare - everything is good now.

Daft ain't it, you spend out on something.that.supposedly lasts 5 times longer and the bit uat makes it work packs up instead lol. The 3 I saw working, reflected off the back of an unsuspecting transit, looked pukka;)

Leeds_finest
Thursday 15th December 2011, 14:26

I'd like to know which OEM projectors fit the P2 models as my S60R has bi-xenon reflectors and they're ok but they have a levelling motor issue. Apparently you have to change the whole headlight unit and if I do, I won't be replacing with a reflector.

Hmm im not to sure, the R's defo wont fit and even if they did I think there about £600 each!!!!

I concur ^^^ threads on 'swedespeed' report HUGE bills when replacing OEM 'R' headlights, they cost a fortune.

I did look at the H7R kits. Do they really work and avoid blinding people, or is it just the latest gimmick? Anyone else with any experience of them?

Speaking from experience, I would advise against aftermarket HID kits. Some are ok, and I even had a kit myself that worked flawlessly. However, my friend also had one and faulty ballasts caused them to flicker and sometimes go off altogether. Very dangerous. Can be rather unreliable.

If you could, I would pull an OEM xenon system off a scrap V70/S60, they're designed to work with reflector headlights and they're probably more reliable too.

p fandango
Thursday 15th December 2011, 15:07
i've had retro fit HID's in Bonny for quite a while now & don't think i've ever had anyone flash me because there getting blinded. My 52plate is fine with them but my old mans 03plate throws a bulb failure warning. I've just ordered another set of 35watts for my front foglights & 55watt HID's for the main beam

I want a T5
Thursday 15th December 2011, 15:15
Are there not new laws coming in re the fitment of after market HIDs to cars?

I was under the impression that HIDs should have self levelling and lens washing as standard and after market HID bulbs just fitted in to the back of the stand light unit will fail and MoT......

I may be wrong though!

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 15th December 2011, 16:04

And there we go. The HID legality debate begins!

I didn't realise the Ovlov OEM bi-xenon's were in reflector housings too. I've been looking while driving around the past couple of days, and about a quarter of what I would imagine are OEM HID headlights on various cars, are infact reflector type.

I might actually get my wallet out at this rate....

Leeds_finest
Thursday 15th December 2011, 16:43

I was under the impression that HIDs should have self levelling and lens washing as standard and after market HID bulbs just fitted in to the back of the stand light unit will fail and MoT......

I may be wrong though!

I heard similar too. I also know 100% they must have self levellers and not sure about wash/wipe.

However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this.

And there we go. The HID legality debate begins!

I didn't realise the Ovlov OEM bi-xenon's were in reflector housings too. I've been looking while driving around the past couple of days, and about a quarter of what I would imagine are OEM HID headlights on various cars, are infact reflector type.

I might actually get my wallet out at this rate....

Yes, my OEM bi-xenons are in reflector headlights and they look a bit 'chav' if i'm honest. In addition to this, unless I switch to sidelights only, I can't turn them off either. So i'm forced to drive round in the middle of the day with them on.

I always thought that xenon's were only manufactured in projector headlights, Volvo must be one of the few that uses xenon bulbs/ballasts with no projectors.

...but as Pedro Fandango said, he retro-fitted some OEM xenons I think? That's what I would do in your position too. Anyway, whilst it's illegal, it's better that by retro-fitting the xenon system you still retain your manual headlight levellers, because the ones on the R models break, and they cost a fortune to replace.

p fandango
Thursday 15th December 2011, 17:19
However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this
you don't even have to go as far as purchasing a dodgy MOT. It won't take 5minutes to remove the HID bulb & put a normal halogen bulb back into place, you don't even have to bother removing the ballast units just remove the element

I want a T5
Thursday 15th December 2011, 17:25
you don't even have to go as far as purchasing a dodgy MOT. It won't take 5minutes to remove the HID bulb & put a normal halogen bulb back into place, you don't even have to bother removing the ballast units just remove the element

Now there's a plan........

And as said before, mr plod is more likely to be looking for the Halfords Chav with his blue tinged lights than a Mr Sensible in his shiny Volvo!

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 15th December 2011, 17:50
Mr Sensible.....:biggrin:

SHINY Volvo...:hilarious

I'm doomed!

Leeds_finest
Thursday 15th December 2011, 18:15

True stories ^^^ you can leave the ballast in place and simply switch the bulbs.

In honesty, the dodgy MOT was more in aid of things you can't easily change though, self levellers and headlight washers for example.

Now there's a plan........

And as said before, mr plod is more likely to be looking for the Halfords Chav with his blue tinged lights than a Mr Sensible in his shiny Volvo!

Agreed, 9 times out of 10 they're going to target the usual trouble causing generation really.

Mr Sensible.....:biggrin:

SHINY Volvo...:hilarious

I'm doomed!

You'll get by ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th December 2011, 18:30

Having spoken to Billy - MOT tester at HLM - there is no way to audit HIDs & MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle to inspect. So these are just rumours.

However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this.

no need for this - or bulb swapping - its complete waste of time. They cannot fail you on A/M HIDs

T5frankie
Thursday 15th December 2011, 18:34
Having spoken to Billy - MOT tester at HLM - there is no way to audit HIDs & MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle to inspect. So these are just rumours.

they aint rumours it is true as from jan, they must be self levelling and have washers but there is no way to check for self levelling and as long as your washers are there they should be ok

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:41
To clarify, HIDs, to be legal must have a wash OR wash/wipe system. They do not have to be self leveling or have both.

Whether projectors or reflectors with HIDs (V70R/S60R use reflectors) and (XC90 use projectors) as long as the beam pattern is correct and the levels are correct on the beam tester then that is legal and will pass an MOT.

JimmyBurnWorld
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 20:24
Just a quick update.

Purchased some 35w H7R HID's, 6000k colour. Fitted and now tested over 300 motorway miles in the dark and thay've made a big difference.

Beam pattern appears to be just right, with the kit avoiding the usual wall of light effect. Turns out the V70 reflectors control the beam quite well. If I'm completley honest, the 6000k is a little blue at the edges of the beam pattern.

Only thing to sort now is the Dipped Beam Bulb Failure alert. I shall be drilling my shunt at some point... with pictures!

p fandango
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 21:46
Only thing to sort now is the Dipped Beam Bulb Failure alert. I shall be drilling my shunt at some point... with pictures!
my 52plate S60 hasn't thrown the bulb failure fault, yet my old mans 03plate S60 does. Just saying tonight we'll have to drill his shunt so very keen to seen the "how-to" pics once you've done it sir

AndysR
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 21:53
they aint rumours it is true as from jan, they must be self levelling and have washers but there is no way to check for self levelling and as long as your washers are there they should be ok

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

It's worth mentioning that, as far as I have been informed and I am open to arguements contrary to this, the new changes to the test will start off as advisory items for the first 3-4 months in 2012 as VOSA trial the changes.. So that means initially a car can't fail on the revised parts of the test i.e. having no headlight adjust for HID's.

JimmyBurnWorld
Sunday 1st January 2012, 13:36
In the meantime untill it fails it's MOt on having HID's fitted, if it does...

I have sorted the bulb failure alarm by following the advice on this page

http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

I promised pictures of me doing this, but I cannot cover it any better than it already is on this page.

Drilled the shunt, re-fitted and now have no more alarms or warnings. 10mins work in total.

The H7R kit is working our really well. The 35W kit gave a good improvement over standard filament bulbs, and the beam pattern is just right. Looking at the car from a hundred yards away there's non of the 'Wall Of Light' effect you see on some of these chavved up cars. Covered another 1000 miles mixed motorway and A/B roading since fitting and haven't been flashed once. Going to sort my main beams next week, they look a bit yellow.... :D

T5frankie
Sunday 1st January 2012, 14:38
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

It's worth mentioning that, as far as I have been informed and I am open to arguements contrary to this, the new changes to the test will start off as advisory items for the first 3-4 months in 2012 as VOSA trial the changes.. So that means initially a car can't fail on the revised parts of the test i.e. having no headlight adjust for HID's.

i got told by an mot tester a few weeks back that they cant test for self levelling on xenons or hid's they have to have a washer though