PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Back of engine

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 21:51
Hi there, well after fitting and running me new to me Turbo, i've a bad oil leak from the back of the engine.

NO higher than the Turbo return pipe, i have cleaned and looked at the seal, it looks fine but after a short 2 mile run the leak is back.

Other than the oil seal is there anywhere else these engine leak low down from the back.

Gonna Order and fit a new O ring hopfully it will cure this DAMM leak.

T5frankie
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:03
sure it aint coming from the oil feeds? did you put a copper washer each side of the banjos? when i did mine it had a leak on the return pipe where a tiny little piece of old gasket was stuck on under the new one

AndysR
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:15
As Frankie said check the feeds as well as the return. The other thing it could be is the oil seals within the turbo and the oil is weaping out between the exhaust/compressor housing and the core... fingers crossed it's not the later as that's a rebuild :(

volvolised
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:27
I would pursue the o rings as that turbo/car Definately never used or showed signs of oil, i would always renew the o rings to oil feeds anyway hope that it is an easy remedy ...

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:55
As Frankie said check the feeds as well as the return. The other thing it could be is the oil seals within the turbo and the oil is weaping out between the exhaust/compressor housing and the core... fingers crossed it's not the later as that's a rebuild :(

Nothing leaking higher than the second sump gasket, where the Oil return feed is. Exhaust and Compressor Joint is dry, it's deffinatly lower.

Only the Lower Bottom half of the Block is getting wet. But it is Bad.

Car on tick over doesnt leak oil left ticking over for 10mins still dry it's only when you drive it and then return 5mins you see the leak and the sump is all wet.

AndysR
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:59
Nothing leaking higher than the second sump gasket, where the Oil return feed is. Exhaust and Compressor Joint is dry, it's deffinatly lower.

Only the Lower Bottom half of the Block is getting wet. But it is Bad.

Car on tick over doesnt leak oil left ticking over for 10mins still dry it's only when you drive it and then return 5mins you see the leak and the sump is all wet.

So is it leaking as a result of the oil sloshing in the sump as your driving the car or is it leaking due to the increased oil flow as the engine rev's increase? Might be worth checking for leaks on a cold engine as the oil pressure will be suitably high enough to mimic that of fast road driving..

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:18
So is it leaking as a result of the oil sloshing in the sump as your driving the car or is it leaking due to the increased oil flow as the engine rev's increase? Might be worth checking for leaks on a cold engine as the oil pressure will be suitably high enough to mimic that of fast road driving..

I will be doing That 1st thing before work tomorrow MORNING! lol cant wait doh

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:23
I will be doing That 1st thing before work tomorrow MORNING! lol cant wait doh

Although i think because the oil is Cold and THICKER i dont recon i will see a Drop come out.

I really thinks it's increase in pressure that does it, But sure a return flow isint under that much pressure is it?

AndysR
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:25
Although i think because the oil is Cold and THICKER i dont recon i will see a Drop come out.

I really thinks it's increase in pressure that does it, But sure a return flow isint under that much pressure is it?

True, but you should still be seeing somewhere in the region of 6 bar pressure cold so it'll still find a way to come out ;)

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:32
True, but you should still be seeing somewhere in the region of 6 bar pressure cold so it'll still find a way to come out ;)

I will keep you posted andy, hopefully return seal will sort it, then we can have that Meeting,

LOL just dont expect her to be as Tight and Buttoned as your's. lol

AndysR
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:34
I will keep you posted andy, hopefully return seal will sort it, then we can have that Meeting,

LOL just dont expect her to be as Tight and Buttoned as your's. lol

Good stuff, will await news :)

I doubt there'd be as much in it as you think :)

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:44
I had the same problem on my old car 854. It was from the banjo as I stupidly reused an old copper washer. Hope you get it sorted mate

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 23:56
I had the same problem on my old car 854. It was from the banjo as I stupidly reused an old copper washer. Hope you get it sorted mate

Surly i would get more oil on the Block if it was that wouldn't i ?

I Have reused the copper washer but this is dry around the union, as i ve done the same before with my other turbo. and been ok.

Certainly one to watch for. thanks bud

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 00:32
Working with high pressure hydraulic machinery, I can safely say ALWAYS replace O rings, and.sealing washers. Once removed, they almost never reseat. You must have got lucky last time you did it. Hope you get it sorted mate.

merc85
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 23:18
Top Banjo fitting looks a little wet not dripping just damp, have ordered new seal for the return to sump, and to new washer's for the banjo's.

Car doesnt leak oil when driven easy, but as sorn as you drive her with 5psi + boost then come back the sump is all wet,

Noticed patch of oil on the return pipe half way up.

Sump pressure? i think not, the only next area is this Damp Banjo at the top.

Must be spraying a Mist of oil out under load. We will see tomorrow hopfully.

Thanks for all the reply's

Jim S70R
Thursday 15th December 2011, 14:04
One thing to remember is that a little leak of oil goes along way and can make it look alot worse than it is.

merc85
Thursday 15th December 2011, 15:35
One thing to remember is that a little leak of oil goes along way and can make it look alot worse than it is.

Seals have turn up from Volvo so will be doing this as soon as i get in.

Kingsford G
Thursday 15th December 2011, 18:38
Seals have turn up from Volvo so will be doing this as soon as i get in.

I am sure u will atherwise u won`t be able to sleep at night with that oil leak in mind lol.