PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare lol Dam ticking!

merc85
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:46
After a very stressfull run down to the essex meet, My fault, flu in the wrong direction lol, i managed to get my 855 ticking DOH!!

After prognoses and other than a tick and screach from her on the way back, she ran good, Me and rotch decided the turbo was shot so getting back at six after a beer we decided to change the 15g to a 18t.

Cut a long story short the Exhaust manifold was loose! after a tip off from
"Motortech of Harwich", member of the Good garage scheme and a friend.

Manifold now Tight ticking has gone, BUT! still left with a screaching turbo BUT only on high boost.

This i think could be down to a partial cracked exhaust housing and Play in the turbo's shaft, also the unit hadn't been fitted to A Car for over a month.

I filled before fitting the oil chamber on the turbo with fresh oil, also carried out a FULL oil change with castrol, noise is a lot better but still there time will tell.

Thanks for reading a long thread just thought it may help other's

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:05
i wish my ticking was a loose manifold :( hows the 18t anyway,was there much difference?

t5_monkey
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:06
Hope it's nothing serious! probs will just settle down once you get it all running for a bit :)

smithson007
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:10
My turbo screaches sometimes at full boost. Dont know what it is though. Not had any trouble with it. Mynes a 19T.

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:39
i wish my ticking was a loose manifold :( hows the 18t anyway,was there much difference?

Much difference lol :)

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:41
Hope it's nothing serious! probs will just settle down once you get it all running for a bit :)

Hopfully so, Really could do with a re build i reckon, will run it for a week or so and hopfully it will sort it self out.

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:52
Hopefully the screaching isn't a result of too much play in the shaft, after all the new-un appears to be king so well. Like you say, time will tell.
Fingers crossed ;)

Jim S70R
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 01:24
That's good you got to the bottom of the noise, manifold loose, I would of got a refund from the bloke who does all the work on it.......oh lol ;)

A rebuilds not the end of the world and it would restore abit of extra performance at the same time :) :)

So the question is does the turbo feel much better and does it have as much lag as people say they do??

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 01:36
My S60 R ticks on cold start up and I was told to change the exhaust manifold gasket etc to see if that was blowing and causing the noise.

...still sounds like lack of oil in the head on cold start to me though.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 02:26
After a very stressfull run down to the essex meet, My fault, flu in the wrong direction lol, i managed to get my 855 ticking DOH!!

After prognoses and other than a tick and screach from her on the way back, she ran good, Me and rotch decided the turbo was shot so getting back at six after a beer we decided to change the 15g to a 18t.

Cut a long story short the Exhaust manifold was loose! after a tip off from
"Motortech of Harwich", member of the Good garage scheme and a friend.

Manifold now Tight ticking has gone, BUT! still left with a screaching turbo BUT only on high boost.

This i think could be down to a partial cracked exhaust housing and Play in the turbo's shaft, also the unit hadn't been fitted to A Car for over a month.

I filled before fitting the oil chamber on the turbo with fresh oil, also carried out a FULL oil change with castrol, noise is a lot better but still there time will tell.

Thanks for reading a long thread just thought it may help other's
I was gonna email u to see how did u get on with the noise.I hope nothing more serious,if u need any help let me know.

p fandango
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 02:35
when i seen the title "damn ticking" i was expecting another i've bent a conrod thread, glad its not

volvo
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 05:16
sorry to her that Merc lad, sometimes the manifold can get warped abit and cause a ticking too. If you have tightened it up and its gone away then great....for a sec there i was thinking 'bent rod' glad its not.
Good luck with it mate.....

merc85
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 10:50
That's good you got to the bottom of the noise, manifold loose, I would of got a refund from the bloke who does all the work on it.......oh lol ;)

A rebuilds not the end of the world and it would restore abit of extra performance at the same time :) :)

So the question is does the turbo feel much better and does it have as much lag as people say they do??

No reel lag and very rapid 3k up wards

bigrotch
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 10:54
No reel lag and very rapid 3k up wards

thats it 16t is goin i need a 18t simples lol