PDA

View Full Version : T5 rubbish in 1st gear

tim15888
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:01
Had my car mapped the other day, scince having it done it is obv much faster, boosting higher, easier to drive at low speed in higher gears and also slightly better on fuel. Unfortunately though, I havn't managed to test it propperly off the line scince having it done a week ago as it hasn't been dry. Found a dry patch today, and gave it some off the line. Dissapointingly it was really flat, like it's not boosting in 1st gear, or starving of fuel. I don't actually think that it's related to the re-map to be honest, just wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem and knows what it is? I've had the problem before from various issues, like when I had a knackered MAF in the past, or turning my bleed valve up too high etc, but I've tried another MAF, and I'm not using the bleed valve any more, and those times it was happening in all gears and this time it's only in 1st, and is perfect in other gears. I have a suspician that it might be the fuel pump causing a fuel pressure issue, and my friend who breaks/repairs Volvo's suspects the same. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem in the past, or has had a fuel pump pressure issue and whether the symptoms are this?

I don't usually ask for help on fixing stuff, but this is a weird fault which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The car doesn't know it's in first gear so why is it being a shagger in 1st only? Unless....the clutch pedal switch isn't making contact propperly.... Maybe not, just thought of that one as I was typing and was actually talking to myself when I typed it.

I'm all ears if anyone has had the same problem :)

t5_monkey
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:13
Mine doesn't run any boost in 1st gear... it's supposed to be that way AFAIK.

If you got full boost in 1st... i suspect it would just be a nightmare anyways :)

tim15888
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:15
Yea, doesn't get time to build up to full boost in first, but it was faster in 1st before the re-map.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:17
1st gear is usually over so quick there isnt time to build the boost. Even so you need to ensure your actuator is adjusted properly.

tim15888
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:19
Actuator hasn't been messed with, that's the problem though, 1st gear isn't over very fast. It accerlorates from 60-90 in third faster then 0-30 in 1st...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:23
Has it been checked though?

M-R-P
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:54
Yeah, check your actuator - grab the rod, if it moves easy with one hand, it needs tightening.
Since I fitted my cone filter, I can always hear my turbo spin up and since the last time the ecu was reset, ive been training it to be more aggressive but i never hear the turbo hit top speed in 1st. Something springs to mind about torque limiting in 1st gear with ME7 but that may be auto.

t5_monkey
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:59
Everything keeps up with me in first.... 2nd... less so :)

M-R-P
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:02
Everything keeps up with me in first.... 2nd... less so :)

You fuggin knows it monkeyman :)

t5_monkey
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:04
You fuggin knows it monkeyman :)

When you hit boost in 2nd in a T5.... check your mirror, you'll see the other driver looking down to check if they've left their handbrake on.

M-R-P
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:09
2nd is awesome nd probably my fave bit about the big sweed, although in this current weather, i can't stamp 3rd lol.

t5_monkey
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:25
Ha you gotta tease it! Mine's pretty good in the wet usually get a good hookup in 2nd as long as you feed it in a bit.

strut-brace, good dampers and poly-bushing all help with the front traction.

Al115
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:31
2nd is awesome nd probably my fave bit about the big sweed, although in this current weather, i can't stamp 3rd lol.

MAN this is getting on my TITS :)

SWEDE. Someone from Sweden. Not SWEED.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! :D :D :D :D

t5_monkey
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:34

http://assets.caffesociety.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/a/paper-bag.jpg

Here's your brown bag to breathe into :)

SteveRuss
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:38
Perfectly normal to me. 1st felt really flat after I had mine mapped but it was just that all the other gears pulled better than before so I put it down to a sort of an illusion of relativity <man>...

My old Rover 620Ti pulled hard in first gear but the gearbox wasn't built for it on the long term. Hence the reason most of them didn't go on far past 100k, if you abused that hard first gear. I sort of understand why the T5 doesn't do a good drag in 1st. It would probably eventually tear itself apart if 2nd is anything to go by..! (I always thought 1st in the T5 was more like gunning an old 3ltr Ford Granada off the line!)..

A spot of damp and the thing would just sit their spinning.. I never thought of the T5 as a drag car. I hated having to race people off the line. They need 2nd onwards to really impress. Live with it.. !

M-R-P
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:43

Mate, I know how to spell, :) she's called "The Big Sweed" - white on top, getting darker going down (dodgy plod respray). Wtf, pmsl, lol Pmsl etc ;)

Al115
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:52
Mate, I know how to spell, :) she's called "The Big Sweed" - white on top, getting darker going down (dodgy plod respray). Wtf, pmsl, lol Pmsl etc ;)

That makes it even funnier :D

Maybe add a kind of turnip-top to it to set it off? :)

M-R-P
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:55
That makes it even funnier :D

Maybe add a kind of turnip-top to it to set it off? :)

Thats what the leicestershire plod lightbar was for lol

wegal
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 13:39
might sound odd, but is the clutch ok ?

Mines not fast in first mainly cos its an auto, but it does build to full boost if you let it, only downside to that is that the wheels will start to spin and not stop till you hit 5th in the wet lol.

Also is your car an auto ? and did you delete the torque limiter ?

I doubt fuel pressure as I would have thought that you would have the same problem throughout all the gears, it would be determined by engine speed and load and not the gear selection.

T5frankie
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 16:01
mine is a bit loony in 1st gear same as all the gears lol

t5_monkey
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 16:35
Mines totally fine in 1st... in fact it could handle more power in the dry. 2nd is usually OK in the wet... I think u lot need to check your tyres and dampers :D

Kingsford G
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 17:58
Mines totally fine in 1st... in fact it could handle more power in the dry. 2nd is usually OK in the wet... I think u lot need to check your tyres and dampers :D

So is mine,kicks in after about 3k rpm but doesn`t` go just spin.

tim15888
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 18:51
It's ok actually, think it was just that I'd got used to it pulling harder in the other gears and first doesn't feel as good as the others. Mines is a manwel, in the wet it will spin up in turd gear when the turdo spools up and puts some blowjob pressure into the inlet manifold, speedo says about 90mph when in fact your sat at about 70-80 lol.

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 18:55
Yep, if I drop it down to 3rd at 50 and slip the clutch, she screams like a banshee :) don't usually watch the speedo, too busy watching where im goin lol. ;)

tim15888
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 18:58
Hahaha, is your quick? Only drove 2 p2 t5's, and both felt really big and heavy compared to mine. Alot nicer inside though.

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:10
Been training the ecu, tightened the w/g (not too much cos it throws a fit) cone filter, 99ron petrol and a healthy engine ;) she does feel heavy and a bit detatched but she outruns golf R32s.

Haizum74
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:20
Mine is a bitch in 1st, feels like milliseconds before I am having to change to 2nd. I do like 2nd though, its my favourite gear, then 3rd. But not as much.

wegal
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 11:17

Nah... 4 C chassis and vredstein tyres on mine..... I think the monkey needs MORE power :-)