PDA

View Full Version : ABS ring change

Niles
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:14
Mates got a bent ABS reluctor ring. Causing all sorts of ABS problems. Can the abs rings be removed and replaced or is it a case of a new driveshaft?

Niles
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:16
(front passenger side abs ring '98 V70 T5)

bigrotch
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:17
They sell the separate niles so I'd say yes mate only about £8 on fleabay id say just have to be pressed on I would have thought

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:22
2 ways - either replace the outer CV joint which is what I did (expensive)
or there are reluctor rings that you can get...

http://www.reluctorrings.com/

bigrotch
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:30
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-S60-S70-S80-C70-V70-ABS-RING-RELUCTOR-RING-DRIVESHAFT-ABS-RING-NEW-/170730707139?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c057d8c3#ht_3883wt_1139

Kingsford G
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:36
Not an easy fix but u will get there.

endo-t5
Monday 12th December 2011, 15:27
They dont press on you knock old one of and then heat the ring up to red hot and then fit to the driveshaft cv as that's what I did on wife's rover was a simple fix but much cheaper than doing the cv joint. There's guides on net on how to do it and think you can heat I the oven or just use a blow lamp which I used my plumbing torch as gets hotter.
The ring is heated so expands and cv is left cold and once they are together the ring cools and stays on forever.

endo-t5
Monday 12th December 2011, 15:35
Meant to say you can do this on the car just remove cv from hub as I did it that way and passed mot and abs now works was under £20 for both and a hour or so to do. It's a really simple job to do.

smithson007
Monday 12th December 2011, 17:08
Think i need to do myne. Think thats why my cruise aint working. There's teeth missing and they dont look in good condition.

andyb1375
Monday 12th December 2011, 18:59
It is the same process as fitting a flywheel ring gear. Just heat to red knock off and then pop new one on.

t5 pete
Monday 12th December 2011, 19:03
Ive done them on all of our cars ide say if any car has over 100k its deffinatly worth doing as they get full of crap and then wear down or break.
The main symptoms of them failing is feeling the abs working when your brakeing slightly or brakeing while going over a bump or when turning.
It doesnt take too long to change them over and they dont need to be heated just clean where the old one was then centre the new one up and then put the old one against it/on top of it and tap it even to sit in place.

smithson007
Monday 12th December 2011, 19:31
What reads the knotches on the ring? Is it a wire touching it?

bigrotch
Monday 12th December 2011, 19:53
What reads the knotches on the ring? Is it a wire touching it?

abs sensor bolted into hub normally the problem on 850s gggrrrr

local-looney
Monday 12th December 2011, 20:17
just reading thread,and after looking on ebay,cv joints for an 850 are ranging from 18 to 60quid!! are these inferior quality perhaps?
or are these prices right??
if so,surely less agro to fit new joints together complete...
im asking because ones looking decidedly iffy on mine!!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 21:55
the sensors do this by induction - there are no touching parts. The passing of the high & low parts of the castelated reluctor ring creates a voltage change in the sensor.

smithson007
Monday 12th December 2011, 21:58
the sensors do this by induction - there are no touching parts. The passing of the high & low parts of the castelated reluctor ring creates a voltage change in the sensor.

So when there's parts missing it creates strange voltage readings which are sent to the ABS module?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:03
Indeed. I have never taken a sensor apart but I imagine there is an electromagnet in it & just like if you hold a magnet close or further away from a piece of metal - the attraction will vary. This attraction will convert into a voltage - so if the ring is cracked or there are teeth missing then the voltage will not be true to the position of the wheel.

smithson007
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:08
Indeed. I have never taken a sensor apart but I imagine there is an electromagnet in it & just like if you hold a magnet close or further away from a piece of metal - the attraction will vary. This attraction will convert into a voltage - so if the ring is cracked or there are teeth missing then the voltage will not be true to the position of the wheel.

So is this how the cruise measures the speed to? I take it thats controled through the ABS to?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2011, 22:15
Yes - no ABS will disable your cruise. In fact if you remove the ABS ECU your speedo will not work either.

smithson007
Monday 12th December 2011, 23:14
Yes - no ABS will disable your cruise. In fact if you remove the ABS ECU your speedo will not work either.

See thats what i was thinking. My speedo works fine so if the sensor is managing to pick a reading up for that it should be doing the same for my cruise. So it could be something else wrong with my cruise or its maybe not as simple as i think it is.

GreenMachine
Saturday 17th December 2011, 13:34

So is the speedo only only connected to the ABS unit?