PDA

View Full Version : 2.4t5 s60r hybrid or bigger turbo

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:17
just sitting bord here and wondered if any has has fitted a hybrid or bigger turbo to any of the above cars. im toying with the idea of more power. 400bhp would be nice. but at same time i dont want a laggy car. dosnt matter if not a direct bolt on

M-R-P
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:22
400bhp would mean rods, pistons, manifolds, and a big blower. Nos would be worth a thought too, throttle progressive ;)

p fandango
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:24
the 2.4 T-5 is a very strong engine, thats what i'm thinking of using on my engine build. Theirs a chap over on VS running over 400bhp (think it was 430bhp) on the stock internals

Santa
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:25
Not yet though its something I'm still actively looking to do. Viva Performance recently RR'd a stage 3 S60R which among other things involves a KKK hybrid turbo (35% ish more airflow apparently). The RR recorded 359WHP. (Est slightly over 420BHP).

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:44
i found that one, i was under the impression that the ehaust housing was the restrictive parts. theres a few t5s using gt turbos but not much unfo one them

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:45
the 2.4 T-5 is a very strong engine, thats what i'm thinking of using on my engine build. Theirs a chap over on VS running over 400bhp (think it was 430bhp) on the stock internals

whats vs. any links or clues

claymore
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:47
VS = Volvospeed

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php??

p fandango
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:53
whats vs. any links or clues

VS = Volvospeed

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php??
sorry yeh its Volvospeed, i've had a look for the thread but the forums not as easy to use as this so couldn't find it

Alan M
Sunday 11th December 2011, 19:04
The 2.4 T5 engines are the best engines to use for power builds but why when the show gains so well for minimal outlay in stock form. First look at a new uprated intercooler larger injectors and not running the K24 above 1.5 bar and with WI you can achieve high 380ish figures on stock components. A good downpipe and exhaust is a must though.

smithy
Sunday 11th December 2011, 19:16
The 2.4 T5 engines are the best engines to use for power builds but why when the show gains so well for minimal outlay in stock form. First look at a new uprated intercooler larger injectors and not running the K24 above 1.5 bar and with WI you can achieve high 380ish figures on stock components. A good downpipe and exhaust is a must though.

i agree with this

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 19:28

Already have fmic, 3" 100cell cat. 2.5" straight through exhaust. stg two rica. i just fancy going one step further. its just a thought at the minute but my thoughts are dangerous

t5_monkey
Sunday 11th December 2011, 19:50
Jardon runs a hybrid 19T on his and is doing about 400bhp with WI.

if you have FMIC, injectors, 3" downpipe etc... that should give you 350 on the 2.4T

with that much power you may want to spend the rest on a Coilover suspension set up and quality wheels, tyres etc..!

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 20:05
Previous owner had 348 befor fmic. It had koni shocks and eibach spring but ditched the shocks as ride was terrible. it dose have uprated anti roll bar. Rubber and brakes arnt a issue. allways use quality rubbrr and brakes are police spec and are faultless

t5_monkey
Sunday 11th December 2011, 22:28
Previous owner had 348 befor fmic. It had koni shocks and eibach spring but ditched the shocks as ride was terrible. it dose have uprated anti roll bar. Rubber and brakes arnt a issue. allways use quality rubbrr and brakes are police spec and are faultless

you have most of the stuff... get it polybushed on 17" wheels and it will really handle !

Bilstein Shocks are really good if the Koni were too hard - my ride was better after going from stock to Bilstein.

graemewelch
Sunday 11th December 2011, 22:47
already kitted out with 17's. previous owner done some very good mods that gave me a good start. not sure id go with poly bushes. but possily consider some better shocks in the future. if the next meet gose ahead in dec you could take me out in yours so i can compare the ride

t5_monkey
Sunday 11th December 2011, 23:36
already kitted out with 17's. previous owner done some very good mods that gave me a good start. not sure id go with poly bushes. but possily consider some better shocks in the future. if the next meet gose ahead in dec you could take me out in yours so i can compare the ride

Cool sounds like he knew what he was doing! There's a significant difference between stock 17's and something lightweight like OZ - I noticed even changing from standard 17's.

Yeppers happy to take you for a spin in mine!

Quaife diff might be a good addition for yours too.

graemewelch
Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:52
been thinking more about turbos and im starting to think a hybrid kkk isnt the way to go. possibly a gt28 with a custom manifold would be the way to go. id want to run to different maps. one with 350 bhp ish same as i run now and one for more power on track days or 1/4 miles. the manifold and down pipe isnt a issue as i build my own anyway. havnt spoke to any turbo builders yet to see what they say. most importnat thing is i can make good power to make it worth while but at same time its nce to drive on low boost

t5_monkey
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:07
Whatever you go for - Get an Owens developments one.. they are turbo magicians.

Then of course you need it custom mapped... Like i said before get the suspension done too :) You'll still get dropped by a CTR down a windy road without some suspension love!

graemewelch
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:38
whats a ctr.

AndysR
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:42
whats a ctr.

Judging by the content of the post I am guessing Civic Type R ;)

AndysR
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:43
Whatever you go for - Get an Owens developments one.. they are turbo magicians.

Then of course you need it custom mapped... Like i said before get the suspension done too :) You'll still get dropped by a CTR down a windy road without some suspension love!

Speak to Jardon, he has an Owen's Developments 19T turbo fitted to his phase II 2.3 T5 V70 and that goes very well indeed... ;)

t5_monkey
Thursday 15th December 2011, 22:48
Andy R speaks wise words..... Jardon's does 60-100 in 5.4 or something equally ridiculous, it's FAST there's vids of it lurking on here.

dave stew
Friday 16th December 2011, 16:55
I am still toying with the idea of 'making my own P3 T5' by changing the turbo remap etc on the 2.5 LPT engined version. They aren't too expensive now and you can still get one with three pedals, so I thought "why not"? But then the old P2 R thing keeps niggling...

t5_monkey
Friday 16th December 2011, 16:58
Easy to start with one that wont need internals etc... changing.

If you're gonna go daft you may as well go fully daft! A 600bhp celica driver told me that once.

hamish
Friday 16th December 2011, 18:15
just sitting bord here and wondered if any has has fitted a hybrid or bigger turbo to any of the above cars. im toying with the idea of more power. 400bhp would be nice. but at same time i dont want a laggy car. dosnt matter if not a direct bolt on

I have done a few hybrid turbos on S60R & 2.4 T5. This tends to be when we are replacing worn out or broken KKK turbos as they seem to be made of soft cheese! The gains in power and performance have always been good and you can achieve plenty of power. The limitation on the 2WD cars is grip even in the dry (rolling burnouts in 4th are fun !!) Somebody mentions Owen Developments in this thread. My experience of their turbos is of dissappointment but in fairness it has always been their hybrid of the Focus ST C30/S40/V50T5 turbo and they haven't been able to produce much over stock.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

hamish
Friday 16th December 2011, 18:19
I am still toying with the idea of 'making my own P3 T5' by changing the turbo remap etc on the 2.5 LPT engined version. They aren't too expensive now and you can still get one with three pedals, so I thought "why not"? But then the old P2 R thing keeps niggling...

It's not an LPT engine!!!! It runs 1 bar of standard boost in the Focus ST. They just turn the boost down for the V70 therefore detuning it to 200hp.

The old S60R are nice but they do like going wrong in a spectacular fashion.

graemewelch
Friday 16th December 2011, 18:20
I have done a few hybrid turbos on S60R & 2.4 T5. This tends to be when we are replacing worn out or broken KKK turbos as they seem to be made of soft cheese! The gains in power and performance have always been good and you can achieve plenty of power. The limitation on the 2WD cars is grip even in the dry (rolling burnouts in 4th are fun !!) Somebody mentions Owen Developments in this thread. My experience of their turbos is of dissappointment but in fairness it has always been their hybrid of the Focus ST C30/S40/V50T5 turbo and they haven't been able to produce much over stock.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

i remember you telling me you had a hybrid on yours when i spoke to you last year when i first bought the car. the selection of off the shelf turbos is very poor. thats what made me think a gt would be better.

t5_monkey
Friday 16th December 2011, 18:27
Hybrid will never get you THAT much more power.

I've seen reviews of 330/350 for a hybrid on the S40/Focus ST but Don reckons he's never seen over 305 with one... personally I think that if you're gonna go to all the effort you may as well put something considerably better on - like the RS turbo for the C30/V50/S40

Seen some very quick S60R's online in the USA that run 30-70 in 4.2s claming to output 400bhp on a Hybrid KKK024.

Could be mapping dependent but probably much easier to just go for a turbo with plenty of flow if you want plenty of power.

I'm still gonna rant on about getting your suspension (and a quaife diff) first though :)

graemewelch
Friday 16th December 2011, 18:46
Hybrid will never get you THAT much more power.

I've seen reviews of 330/350 for a hybrid on the S40/Focus ST but Don reckons he's never seen over 305 with one... personally I think that if you're gonna go to all the effort you may as well put something considerably better on - like the RS turbo for the C30/V50/S40

Seen some very quick S60R's online in the USA that run 30-70 in 4.2s claming to output 400bhp on a Hybrid KKK024.

Could be mapping dependent but probably much easier to just go for a turbo with plenty of flow if you want plenty of power.

I'm still gonna rant on about getting your suspension (and a quaife diff) first though :)

not going to go nuts with the car, just the odd daft mod. its my everyday car and i like me comfort and refinement so dont want to do mods that take that away. ive almost got the turbo to head flange drawn up on cad and ive got some 13.5mm stainless so can get some flanges cut.

claymore
Friday 16th December 2011, 19:24
So, will you be offering these manifolds to vpcuk members?

graemewelch
Friday 16th December 2011, 22:19
So, will you be offering these manifolds to vpcuk members?

tobe honest it hasnt even crossed mind. if there was some intrest then id prob consider building a few extra.

claymore
Friday 16th December 2011, 22:32
tobe honest it hasnt even crossed mind. if there was some intrest then id prob consider building a few extra.
I'd be interested, especially if it had an external wastegate take off ;)