PDA

View Full Version : i think my engine has had enough!!!

theflyingbrick
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:35
well had a very cold afternoon at the essex meet today :) but its nice to see the guys and the improvements on the cars is always a welcome sight,anyways left a bit early as my brother had other commitments and we wanted to,lets say "cruise" home together,well after the "cruise" i could hear a noise but assumed it was the car overtaking me!! the car went and i could still hear the noise :( it sounds like cams its to strong a noise to be tappets and not knocky enough to be big ends but im not sure if it could be rods as ive never heard a bent rod noise before so i wouldnt recognise it if it was!! theres no loss in power or performance but theres definatly a tappy/knocky noise thats consitant with engine revs both high and low!! any advice or opinions are welcome.

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:37
sounds like a rod mate

daza-b
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:46
what engine is it?

Al115
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:46
sounds like a rod mate

I'll second that. Common as, if the boost comes in too early.

Any chance it could be something else, eg a sticky lifter?

theflyingbrick
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:55
its an 850 t5 engine,and im kind of hoping its a sticky lifter how would i check it?? and is it a big job to change the rods?? or should i put it into the garage im not an expert by any means but im quite handy with a socket set!!

daza-b
Sunday 11th December 2011, 16:58
changing rods is a hell of a lot easier with the engine out thats for sure! you would have to do new head gasket set too, so may as well do the timing belt etc while its out... will it be worth it? thats the main question!

theflyingbrick
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:02
thats what i was thinking coz if the engines out i might aswell give it freshen up with forged rods then you start to think about pistons cams porting polishing etc etc i was just looking for a mild set up turbo exhaust map injectors etc etc will it be cost effective?? or should i just look for another car :(

daza-b
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:06
thats what i was thinking coz if the engines out i might aswell give it freshen up with forged rods then you start to think about pistons cams porting polishing etc etc i was just looking for a mild set up turbo exhaust map injectors etc etc will it be cost effective?? or should i just look for another car :(

really depends on how much money you want to put into it really, for the price of the engine upgrades you could buy another car lol, i know that one but im stupid enough to put lots of money into engine upgrades than buy a new car...mainly for self satisfaction really...forged rods are at least the £300-£400 mark for start, unless you can pick up a bargain from somewhere :)

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:06

cheaper to buy another car mate

daza-b
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:19
shame you aint any nearer to me id buy it off you to give you a start towards another car :D

Jim S70R
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:30
Oh that's not gone well, does sound like a bent rod from what your saying....
On a lighter note the carbon door mouldings looked good ;)

mitchyboy01
Sunday 11th December 2011, 17:44
Sounds like a rod I'm afraid. Cheaper option would be to get another 850 and get a custom map for boost to come in hard after 3500rpm. You don't want to risk it it happening again. With the correct mapping these engines can run big power on standard internals. One of the t4 guys was running silly power on his T4 (same rods as T5). Never gave him any trouble on his stock bottom end.

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:04
Oh crap! Certainly sounds like it could be a bent rod/s :(

As said the carbon wrap looked good but I guess that's immaterial in the great scheme of things :(

theflyingbrick
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:53
Oh crap! Certainly sounds like it could be a bent rod/s :(

As said the carbon wrap looked good but I guess that's immaterial in the great scheme of things :(

yep ive gone from buying a bit of moody carbon,to potentially getting rid of my car!! talk about one extreme to the other :( well atleast if i have to get a new car ill now a bit more about it now ;)

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:00
yep ive gone from buying a bit of moody carbon,to potentially getting rid of my car!! talk about one extreme to the other :( well atleast if i have to get a new car ill now a bit more about it now ;)

Would it not be easier to source a replacement engine than a replacement car?

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:02
too many rod problems lately shouldnt run above 16psi for a daily driver

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:07
too many rod problems lately shouldnt run above 16psi for a daily driver

and also stick to the cars own boost control for safety rather than fitting MBC's ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:08
and also stick to the cars own boost control for safety rather than fitting MBC's ;)

mine is laggy enough without waiting for the bcs to bring in boost, your only jealous auto boy lol

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:09
mine is laggy enough without waiting for the bcs to bring in boost, your only jealous auto boy lol

lol, Jealous in your dreams ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:14
lol, Jealous in your dreams ;)

my rattly old 850 should be going tomorow oh no!! lol

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:16
my rattly old 850 should be going tomorow oh no!! lol

Question is what will you buy next?

theflyingbrick

im afraid im breaking it green has never been a lucky colour for me!! so im gonna go for another one in white hopefully and im definatly gonna stick with the origanal bcs and keep the mbc for events and special occasions ;)

T5frankie
Question is what will you buy next?

2009 vectra sri? don't laugh or a 2008 c4 grand picasso for the impending arrival?

AndysR
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:17
im afraid im breaking it green has never been a lucky colour for me!! so im gonna go for another one in white hopefully and im definatly gonna stick with the origanal bcs and keep the mbc for events and special occasions ;)

Well it's a shame your breaking it, but at least it's getting replaced with another Volvo :)

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:18
i'd like a white 850r replica

theflyingbrick
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:24
theres a white one on ebay looks the dogs danglys but its advertised as rica tuned to 300 bhp and he wants 1800 quid for it!! but it does look the mutz nutz ill try and post a link hold onhttp://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-T5-CD-300bhp-Rica-Tuned-Missile-Low-miles-year-and-immaculate-/150700765950?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item23167732fe

T5frankie
Sunday 11th December 2011, 21:30
theres a white one on ebay looks the dogs danglys but its advertised as rica tuned to 300 bhp and he wants 1800 quid for it!! but it does look the mutz nutz ill try and post a link hold onhttp://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-T5-CD-300bhp-Rica-Tuned-Missile-Low-miles-year-and-immaculate-/150700765950?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item23167732fe

he wont sell it for that he is on this forum somewhere,

Al115
Monday 12th December 2011, 10:33
Get another 850, fix it up with all the bits off your one, then sell the remainder :)

Fun project for Christmas time!

Kingsford G
Monday 12th December 2011, 12:25

I`ve seen that,my caz after it and I told him if he delays the Volvo boy gonna take it.From what I can see worth every penny.I wouldn`t make any notice of ppl saying it`s too much,just think about how much u have to spent to get it to that level and low miles.Go for it I`d` say.