PDA

View Full Version : Changing all transmission fluids on P2 S60/V70 'R' models.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 11th December 2011, 12:27
I am going through the process of changing all the gear fluids on my 2004 S60R. I have only changed the gearbox fluid so far for which I found this thread particularly useful (excuse the American terminology) I will post part numbers at the bottom:

Transmission (M66-6MT): Easy to change, the tranny has a drain plug on the bottom, and a fill plug (23mm or 24mm) on the side by the left front wheel (the wheel must be removed). Just drain out the old fluid, and refill. To refill you will either need an oil pump, to pump the oil in, or a funnel with a long hose. Capacity is approx 2.0L.

Angle gear: Also easy to change, though it requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The angle gear only has a fill plug. Remove it, insert the small hose on your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, pump a few squirts of fresh oil through the pump and into the waste oil container (to clear out the old fluid in the hoses of your oil pump, and ensure only fresh fluid will be used to fill the angle gear). Then pump the new fluid into the angle gear until it begins to leak out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.8L.

Active on Demand Coupling AOC/Haldex: Requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The AOC only has a fill plug, it is located on the left rear side of the AOC after the shiny module that says Haldex on it. Remove it, insert the small hose of your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, take a tube of the AOC oil (looks like a tube of caulking) and start squirting it into the fill hole until it begins to seap out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.8L.

Rear Differential: Requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The rear differential only has a fill plug, it is located on the rear side of the differential and can be viewed from the area around the muffler. Remove it, insert the small hose of your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, pump a few squirts of fresh oil through the pump and into the waste oil container (to clear out the old fluid in the hoses of your oil pump, and ensure only fresh fluid will be used to fill the rear diff). Then pump the new fluid into the rear diff until it begins to seap out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.7L.

Here are the part numbers. I can confirm the gearbox and angle gear part numbers are correct as I have purchased these myself, but have not yet purchased the others. If anyone has or does, please post in here to confirm:

M66 gearbox fluid part number: 31280771 (will need two of these bottles)

Angle gear fluid part number: 31259380 (will need one of these bottles)

Haldex fluid part number: 30759648 (I think these are 300ml each, so will need three of these)

Rear differential fluid part number: 1161620 (will need one of these bottles)

If anyone has any other experiences or information on these fluids and processes then please post up. I have a feeling Volvo lists all these fluids as lifetime fluids, but it's worth changing them really, gear oil gets dirty just like engine oil, it just takes a bit longer that's all :)

Ed

Santa
Sunday 11th December 2011, 13:40
I am going through the process of changing all the gear fluids on my 2004 S60R. I have only changed the gearbox fluid so far for which I found this thread particularly useful (excuse the American terminology) I will post part numbers at the bottom:

Transmission (M66-6MT): Easy to change, the tranny has a drain plug on the bottom, and a fill plug (23mm or 24mm) on the side by the left front wheel (the wheel must be removed). Just drain out the old fluid, and refill. To refill you will either need an oil pump, to pump the oil in, or a funnel with a long hose. Capacity is approx 2.0L.

Angle gear: Also easy to change, though it requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The angle gear only has a fill plug. Remove it, insert the small hose on your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, pump a few squirts of fresh oil through the pump and into the waste oil container (to clear out the old fluid in the hoses of your oil pump, and ensure only fresh fluid will be used to fill the angle gear). Then pump the new fluid into the angle gear until it begins to leak out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.8L.

Active on Demand Coupling AOC/Haldex: Requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The AOC only has a fill plug, it is located on the left rear side of the AOC after the shiny module that says Haldex on it. Remove it, insert the small hose of your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, take a tube of the AOC oil (looks like a tube of caulking) and start squirting it into the fill hole until it begins to seap out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.8L.

Rear Differential: Requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The rear differential only has a fill plug, it is located on the rear side of the differential and can be viewed from the area around the muffler. Remove it, insert the small hose of your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, pump a few squirts of fresh oil through the pump and into the waste oil container (to clear out the old fluid in the hoses of your oil pump, and ensure only fresh fluid will be used to fill the rear diff). Then pump the new fluid into the rear diff until it begins to seap out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is 0.7L.

Here are the part numbers. I can confirm the gearbox and angle gear part numbers are correct as I have purchased these myself, but have not yet purchased the others. If anyone has or does, please post in here to confirm:

M66 gearbox fluid part number: 31280771 (will need two of these bottles)

Angle gear fluid part number: 31259380 (will need one of these bottles)

Haldex fluid part number: 30759648 (I think these are 300ml each, so will need three of these)

Rear differential fluid part number: 1161620 (will need one of these bottles)

If anyone has any other experiences or information on these fluids and processes then please post up. I have a feeling Volvo lists all these fluids as lifetime fluids, but it's worth changing them really, gear oil gets dirty just like engine oil, it just takes a bit longer that's all :)

Ed

They are really worth changing...other than that I can't give any advice as I got the garage to do it.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:27
Did you find it drive better Santa? Or just for longevity you mean?

The gearbox oil made my changes smoother, but haven't done the rest yet.

Santa
Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:33
Did you find it drive better Santa? Or just for longevity you mean?

The gearbox oil made my changes smoother, but haven't done the rest yet.

Longevity mainly, its fairly difficult to gauge if oil changes make the car smoother, plus the last time mine was done the car had only done 60k ish.

LeeT5
Wednesday 6th April 2016, 20:41
Can we make this a sticky?

Very good useful info.

Harvey
Wednesday 6th April 2016, 20:48
old thread but Handy information :B_thumb:

Ettienne
Thursday 7th April 2016, 11:10
Very helpful I used one from voc when I did the v70r and the xc90s just been done, haldex filter is a pita.