PDA

View Full Version : De Cat or not!!??

Peanut1
Thursday 8th December 2011, 22:32
Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me here. Cars going in Monday and i have the option of de-catting it which i think id like to do to improve response and performance along with the remap. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever done this before and had any issues especially on the auto box?

t5_monkey
Thursday 8th December 2011, 22:43
You're probably better off going 3" downpipe with sports cat (with appropriate map)

De-cat can cause serious insurance issues and there's a chance you'll fail the emissions tests come MOT time. Sports Cat is an option that will probably be a lot easier to live with.

p fandango
Thursday 8th December 2011, 22:59
being a P2 i bet it won't like it, got to have to 2 lamba sensors surely?

I want a T5
Friday 9th December 2011, 06:12
Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me here. Cars going in Monday and i have the option of de-catting it which i think id like to do to improve response and performance along with the remap. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever done this before and had any issues especially on the auto box?

Oi Nut!

Beware of the plod pulling you over and checking whether you have a cat or not....it is illegal not to have a cat when the car was made to have one.

The way you drive, you are bound to get pulled for trying to do doughnuts in Tesco's car park.......its not an M3 you know!

How about bashing the innerds out of the existing cat to create a de-cat that looks like you still have one. Has anyone tried this and would it stll cause issues with the Lambda sensors??

Leeds_finest
Friday 9th December 2011, 09:29
Aside from the Police problem ^^^ mentioned above, the P2 is fine with a decat. All you need to do is use a Lambda probe spacer to space the probe away from the main gas flow. You shouldn't even get a warning light then, let alone limp mode etc.

On the V70 R, it's hard to do because of the prop shaft being near the exhaust etc, but, on the T5 it should be fairly easy.

Decat will see faster spool up, sometimes as much as 500-1000rpm lower down the revs, increase power, increase response with the added potential of popping flames with a remap :)

I personally will be decatting my S60 R... when money allows, which isn't at the moment.

I wouldn't bother with race cats. Whilst they will pass the MOT etc and are fractionally better than a normal cat, the full benefit comes from removing the cat completely.

Hope this helps.

Peanut1
Friday 9th December 2011, 10:58
Oi Nut!

Beware of the plod pulling you over and checking whether you have a cat or not....it is illegal not to have a cat when the car was made to have one.

The way you drive, you are bound to get pulled for trying to do doughnuts in Tesco's car park.......its not an M3 you know!

How about bashing the innerds out of the existing cat to create a de-cat that looks like you still have one. Has anyone tried this and would it stll cause issues with the Lambda sensors??

I apologise for my mate!!! And your the one whos eaten all the doughnuts!! HAHA!!

t5_monkey
Friday 9th December 2011, 11:26
If quicker spool is the main benefit I think I'm alright as you can cough on the wee turbo on the S40 and it spools :D

viggen
Friday 9th December 2011, 11:26
Hi i am running a decat (cut out and welded back up) on a c70 t5 1998 fly by wire throttle twin lamba, i bought a lamba spacer but never fitted it as it has never put up a warning light ??? The car is running 1.4 bar flat out so no boost issues HLM mapped Ecu and the torque is fantastic, it flew round cadwell park this year and it has been 6 months since i cut out the cat and this is the big plus fuel consumption has risen from 22.4 on the display to 28.8 most of the time :)

Regards
Rob Gray

Peanut1
Friday 9th December 2011, 12:00
Hi i am running a decat (cut out and welded back up) on a c70 t5 1998 fly by wire throttle twin lamba, i bought a lamba spacer but never fitted it as it has never put up a warning light ??? The car is running 1.4 bar flat out so no boost issues HLM mapped Ecu and the torque is fantastic, it flew round cadwell park this year and it has been 6 months since i cut out the cat and this is the big plus fuel consumption has risen from 22.4 on the display to 28.8 most of the time :)

Regards
Rob Gray

I had 99% decided i was doing it and thats just made it 100%! cheers!

LeeT5
Friday 9th December 2011, 12:17
I had 99% decided i was doing it and thats just made it 100%! cheers!

Good luck. Let us all know the outcome as i would be interested in this. Thou i anm with Monkey on the Lambda issues and EML coming on all the time.

Peanut1
Friday 9th December 2011, 12:44
Will do no worries. Im having at done at a place called fast Road Conversions in Ashford which my mate owns so if it all works out and theres no issues I could introduce you if you wanted

LeeT5
Friday 9th December 2011, 12:45
Will do no worries. Im having at done at a place called fast Road Conversions in Ashford which my mate owns so if it all works out and theres no issues I could introduce you if you wanted

Sounds good. I'm only up the road in Maidstone!!

T5frankie
Friday 9th December 2011, 16:17
get some nice flames out the back too

claymore
Friday 9th December 2011, 17:33
de-cat is an mot falure from january 2012

I want a T5
Friday 9th December 2011, 18:19
/\ /\ what he said! /\ /\

I want a T5
Friday 9th December 2011, 18:26
Has anyone punched out the innerds of the standard CAT?

Al115
Friday 9th December 2011, 18:42
Yes in the past.

claymore
Friday 9th December 2011, 18:55
Has anyone punched out the innerds of the standard CAT?

I don't know what you mean ;) :)

daza-b
Friday 9th December 2011, 18:58
de-cat is an mot falure from january 2012

well that sucks!! good job im friends with my MOT tester ;) lmao

Peanut1
Friday 9th December 2011, 23:00
well that sucks!! good job im friends with my MOT tester ;) lmao

I couldnt possibly comment!!!!!;)

theflyingbrick
Friday 9th December 2011, 23:45
i had a little race with my brother in his 95 hot aero saab and obviously from where he was he said i had some nice flames popping out the back between gear changes worth the dec at alone :) that was on an 850 t5 dont know if yours will be the same?

Peanut1
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 21:38
Well, gone and had it done!! Ended up with a sports 200 cat and single back box and by god its gorgeous!!! Nice deep burble at low revs, good throat at full throttle and absolutely no hum at crusing speed!!! Its just puuuuurrrrrrrfect!! HAHA!!

graemewelch
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 21:47
did you go straight through or baffeled. a youtube link would be great

Peanut1
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:01
Id have to check that but would imagine its baffled otherwise it would be deafening!! Ill try and get one done!

graemewelch
Tuesday 13th December 2011, 22:05
Id have to check that but would imagine its baffled otherwise it would be deafening!! Ill try and get one done!

i have a 100 cell cat and straight through exhaust with 2 small silencers and it wasnt to loud. a tadge boomy inside but quietish outside. nothing a bigger middle silencer wont cure

I want a T5
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 05:53
Oi Nut!

Post up who did the work, maybe a few guys on here (me included) will think about using Andy's services.

Get some pics up too.

Peanut1
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 08:27
Oi Nut!

Post up who did the work, maybe a few guys on here (me included) will think about using Andy's services.

Get some pics up too.

Will do and will try and get it done today!!! Want to do the video but its getting the time! Im not sure if im allowed to advertise the company directly on here??

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 02:38
Dude. I and we need to know what cat you got. Was it the 200 cell (EOBDII) version from Jetex??

A video is a must aswell. I am seriously interested as i cannot justify £700 for 10 hp just to replace the Downpipe.

Peanut1
Saturday 17th December 2011, 10:14
Hi

Ive just text him to find out but your more than welcome to scoot down to Ashford anytime and have a look and listen if your interested mate?

graemewelch
Saturday 17th December 2011, 13:32
Dude. I and we need to know what cat you got. Was it the 200 cell (EOBDII) version from Jetex??

A video is a must aswell. I am seriously interested as i cannot justify £700 for 10 hp just to replace the Downpipe.

watch this space. high quality 200cell down pipes are going to hit the market soon at very competive prices

Peanut1
Saturday 17th December 2011, 14:17
It is a 200 cell and they can do them for £550 fitted!

I want a T5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:37
Saw this today and wow! Impressed!

Workmanship is excellent, tail pipe looks OE and not like the jap cans I have on the back of my Nissan 200!

Tickover burble is sweet and through the rev range is fruity and purposeful.

I cant vouch for any performance increase as didnt have the chance to drive or be driven,

I will ber definately getting this done to my new baby from the turbo back after Christmas!

LeeT5
Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:39
Hi

Ive just text him to find out but your more than welcome to scoot down to Ashford anytime and have a look and listen if your interested mate?

Was that for me??

if so, PM me your contact number and i will text ya a date or a venue to meet. Maybe Maidstone services (I'll get the Kwoffees in). Its 12 miles from my house to Junc 8. Not quite halfway i know.