PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler radiator

T4Rick
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 15:46
Has anyone ever had any problems with the water and oil mixing in the oil cooler and radiator?My engine compression is good yet there is residue in my expansion tank and traces of water on my dip stick and ive cleaned the dipstick several times as well.Im also losing water

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 15:51
It has been known for the oil cooler to leak and exchange with the water. Autos can be a bugger for it, tranny cooler mounted in rad leaks and fills the gearbox with oil. P.A. knows all about that.

WOODY T5
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 15:56
Has anyone ever had any problems with the water and oil mixing in the oil cooler and radiator?My engine compression is good yet there is residue in my expansion tank and traces of water on my dip stick and ive cleaned the dipstick several times as well.Im also losing waterad the same prob with my t5 change the rad and its sorted now mate

p fandango
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 16:28
its a very common problem

T4Rick
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 16:43
Did you have traces of oil in the edder tank and did you lose water

p fandango
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 16:45
Did you have traces of oil in the edder tank and did you lose water
don't think i lost any water but yes defo had oil in the tank

T4Rick
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 16:54
How did you work out it was the oil cooler in the end lol?im losing water as well

p fandango
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 17:03
How did you work out it was the oil cooler in the end lol?im losing water as well
tbh i can't remember, must be atleast 5years since mine went. Couldn't be a combination of oil cooler & split expansion bottle cap could it (another common problem)

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 17:06
Really does sound like the two rads are "exchanging".

p fandango
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 17:14
Really does sound like the two rads are "exchanging".
i thought theirs more pressure on the oil system so it mixes with the water, but no sign of water in the oil. Sure i didn't lose water

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 17:19
Could depend on the condition of the PCV, thermostat etc?

merc85
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 18:04
The water on the dip stick could be condensation, and the water loss could be a Cracked header tank, or leaky stat housing.

Is the oil level rising?

T4Rick
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 21:34
Thanks for your help merc i was told it could be condinsation as its very common on the dipstick,my header tank is brand new,as for the oil i will see in tomorrow if its rising.A friend of mine rekons it could be airlock as well.

T4Rick
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 18:57
Ok a bit of an update im back on the 15g now im not losing water or oil from my dipstick but oil is coming out of the intercooler still,my question is,is it possible that the lemon of the turbo sucked the oil into the intercooler?it only has a small pin hole on the intercooler from what i can see.Does the intercooler have pipe work in side it like a radiator?maybe its storing it lol

Volvostorm
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 19:57
Intercooler shouldn't really have any water in it, there is a small drain hole at the bottom of it, maybe that is blocked?

T4Rick
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:05
Intercooler shouldn't really have any water in it, there is a small drain hole at the bottom of it, maybe that is blocked?

Sorry i should have made my self clearer.There is no water in it lol what i meant was when i fitted the damaged turbo which i didnt no it was im thinking it could have filled the intercooler up or maybe partly.It will really run out when its cold with it being thick but after a run it will with the oil being hot.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:08
I still sounds like the common problem of a leaking oil cooler in the radiator.

T4Rick
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:11
What i dont understand is how the oil is coming out of the bottom of the intercooler and the bottom of the rad and oil is bone dry

Volvostorm
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:18
If the turbo is knackered, its probably blowing oil along the pipes, and, maybe its leaking from a pipe join?

T4Rick
Wednesday 14th December 2011, 20:33
If the turbo is knackered, its probably blowing oil along the pipes, and, maybe its leaking from a pipe join?

Its some thing i can look at over the weekend.Ive put my old turbo back on since then Paul im thinking this oil is what was spat out from my old turbo which was a lemon