PDA

View Full Version : First week with RICA

Martinr
Friday 19th August 2005, 10:48
High all

Seen lots of posts where people comment on the journey back from VT but not many about the overall driving experience. This is mine after the first week.

I had my car in for a 280 upgrade last week (10th August), availing myself of the ITG and dyno offer, (thanks guys). For those that like statistics Max power before was 155.04 and torque 177.37, after 207.98/228.85. Boost is up from 0.69 to 0.98.

Like many others my drive home was interesting, the car accelerates so much quicker now that I nearly rammed a Fiesta before I had got 100 yards from VT. Once I got used to it though it was not a problem.

The car is totally transformed. It will happily potter around town at 1000 rpm doing 30 mph or it will hustle along fast dual carriageways and give some more exotic machinery a fright. Being an automatic the increased torque is really appreciated and overtaking is superb as the car will rapidly get up to speed often without changing down. Once the boost comes in it is a case of hang on and enjoy :)

The last week has been the normal mix of traffic and fast roads. Fuel consumption has averaged 21.6 mpg and average speed was only 23 mph. This is a normal pattern for me as I have a lot of stop start on the way to work and I use a faster road on the return journey. There has been no detrimental effect in economy despite my not always being able to resist the urge to see the boost needle up against the stop. I can't wait to take it to Ireland in September to see how it goes then.

So anyone who is thinking about upgrading, do it, and anyone who has well done on a wise decision.

Thanks again Adam and Hamish.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 19th August 2005, 10:55
Cool - so which "Exotic Machinery" have we been toying with?

Goof
Friday 19th August 2005, 11:32
He did mention a Fiesta.. ;)

Trying to find time to get mine booked in - probably will try for the morning of the Daventy meet, do you think I'll make it from Bromsgrove to Daventry in time? :)

Lyndon
Sunday 21st August 2005, 12:06
Hey Goof what's the online game?

Paul ABZ
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:12
It's Battlefield 2 with a forum and info found at http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_gameinfo.php?action=aboutbf

Vikingxl
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:22
Martin why the 280 and not the 310
P.S. here's a piccy of your old house and my car

Paul ABZ
Sunday 21st August 2005, 19:29
Do forum members get any deals on the £499 + VAT for the 280 BHP and the £699 + VAT for the 310 BHP?

And did you have the wide exhaust fitted as well Martin?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 21st August 2005, 22:13
Do forum members get any deals on the £499 + VAT for the 280 BHP and the £699 + VAT for the 310 BHP?

And did you have the wide exhaust fitted as well Martin?310bhp is £590 inc free ITG filter in August.

Martinr
Monday 22nd August 2005, 09:23
Various reasons. I don't think I need the 300+ and I have just spent more than I paid for the car on a new drive and some other building work :(

I also went for the 280 because I believe it is more forgiving if other aspects of the car are not perfect, (I have the original stock exhaust which I am loathe to change for a while yet).

Also, I spend all my holidays in rural Ireland where you cannot guarantee a supply of 98 RON fuel, (if only I could use Tractor Diesel).

Car looks great Rich. I notice he hasn't painted the front door which I did to sell the house 5 years ago!!

Vikingxl
Saturday 27th August 2005, 07:07
Are you still happy with the car Martin?

Martinr
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 09:50
Yes i am :)

Been installing a water feature in the garden over the weekend. transporting rocks, chippings, loads on the roof rack and still can have fun.

Tip: Don't corner fast or brake hard with 10 large pieces of rustic slate in the boot. Sounds like a stampede of buffalo!!