PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to change-is it worth it?

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 17:40
have been offered an uprated ecu for my 850 T5 but the numbers don't match on the ones on my ecu and it won't start car.......what do i have to change to make it work? ie what parts are coded to the ecu etc.........its an hlm ecu by the way...i know that i can get my own ecu remapped for about £150 so is it worth changing the relevant parts........ecu won't cost me anything just my old ecu and relevant parts........any ideas?

bigrotch
Monday 5th December 2011, 17:55
is it off another auto!!!!!!!!!!as i know autos can run a manual but manual cant run a auto

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 17:58
is it off another auto!!!!!!!!!!as i know autos can run a manual but manual cant run a auto

yes it is an auto...............ref light switch yes the one in dash that turns lights on/off

T5frankie
Monday 5th December 2011, 18:04
if its come off a car the same it should work mate

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 18:07
have tried several ecus in my car (thanks niles and shreck ) but none will run my car....
been told i have to match bosch numbers to make it work

p fandango
Monday 5th December 2011, 18:09
you need to check the numbers here LINK (http://turbo-tuner.co.uk/ttusb-compatible.htm)

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 18:27
many thanks pedro.............kinda more confused now my car is registered 95 but has obd port inside car as per 96 onwards.........have tried several ecus but none have worked my car so kinda suggests i have system from pre 96 ( can you follow this or am i dribbling ) as many will know i have a tickover problem with my car one of the last things that hasn't been checked/changed is the ecu (gearbox ecu has been changed) so i am keen to eliminate this as it now beginning to annoy me.........hence the question what do i need to change ( i will soon have access to a car that is being stripped but runs fine,so if it is worth the effort i will change all the relevant parts)

p fandango
Monday 5th December 2011, 19:27
many thanks pedro.............kinda more confused now my car is registered 95 but has obd port inside car as per 96 onwards.........have tried several ecus but none have worked my car so kinda suggests i have system from pre 96 ( can you follow this or am i dribbling ) as many will know i have a tickover problem with my car one of the last things that hasn't been checked/changed is the ecu (gearbox ecu has been changed) so i am keen to eliminate this as it now beginning to annoy me.........hence the question what do i need to change ( i will soon have access to a car that is being stripped but runs fine,so if it is worth the effort i will change all the relevant parts)
even tho the car is registered 1995 it could be a manufacture year 1996 (sorry even more confusing) which will explain the OBDII socket. This might help LINK (http://www.autohausaz.com/volvo-auto-parts/volvo-vehicle-identification-numbers.html)

theflyingbrick
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:01
mate mines the same registered 95 but have a obd 2 port so far i havent found a code reader to read the ecu which is a pain,but i just sent my ecu off to hlm and had remapped so i didnt really have a problem.......no help at all i know but i thought i would share that info anyway :)

merc85
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:04
mate mines the same registered 95 but have a obd 2 port so far i havent found a code reader to read the ecu which is a pain,but i just sent my ecu off to hlm and had remapped so i didnt really have a problem.......no help at all i know but i thought i would share that info anyway :)

Snap on Launch reads and resets codes via the obd11 plug in car. N reg 1995 -

theflyingbrick
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:05
Snap on Launch reads and resets codes via the obd11 plug in car. N reg 1995 -

cheers mate....now all i need to do is find one!!

merc85
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:13

Mototech
East Street
Harwich
Essex

Long Drive i know but hey it reads and clears lol

theflyingbrick
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:18
Mototech
East Street
Harwich
Essex

Long Drive i know but hey it reads and clears lol

well you never know, looking to book a little weekend away at dovercourt in january seing as i didnt go anywhere this year so i could always pop in and get it checked out,theres nothing wrong with the car but i would like it read and reset anyway!! well it it is over fuelling quite a bit but other than that...

Kingsford G
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:25

I see if mine (snap on)can read my car just need to get an adapter socket from old boy and bring it to the meeting so we can sort your out.

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:36
even tho the car is registered 1995 it could be a manufacture year 1996 (sorry even more confusing) which will explain the OBDII socket. This might help LINK (http://www.autohausaz.com/volvo-auto-parts/volvo-vehicle-identification-numbers.html)
many thanks for that pedro
mine is a 1996 after all...........all i need now is an ecu or the parts to convert

bigrotch
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:40
There's several on fleabay mateNow u know what numbers to go for etc

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:40
i got mine read by a guy at toomeys laindon who had just purchased it from snap on....don't know which one it was though
trouble is every time someone reads it it comes up with something different
and when you try to clear it it clears codes but won't clear light on dash
which is where the change of ecu comes in (recomended by niles)

Kingsford G
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:42
Mine is 95 and I`ve chnged my ecu no probs even though Volvo told me needs reprogramming £55 all in.

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:44
the reason i am trying to find out about ecu related items is that where my son works they have a T5 that must be scrapped (sorry can't remove any parts either)
as i know one of the managers well he has said i can exchange my parts as long as i leave it running................hence i need to know what parts to exchange

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:47
Mine is 95 and I`ve chnged my ecu no probs even though Volvo told me needs reprogramming £55 all in.
have you still got the one you took out? if so could you bring it to essex meet for me to try?

Kingsford G
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:48
have you still got the one you took out? if so could you bring it to essex meet for me to try?

Yep,its sitting in my glove box.

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:51
There's several on fleabay mateNow u know what numbers to go for etc
have already tried 3 different ecu's that "will work your car" not 1 of them would even start it let alone run the dam thing.........so you can see i am a bit wary of keep spending money on ecu's that "will work my car but DON'T
sorry for the rant but this car is fast approaching costing me more in repairs than it's worth

t5steve
Monday 5th December 2011, 23:52
Yep,its sitting in my glove box.
many thanks.........if i can find one that works i will gladly buy it........i just want one that works................

merc85
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 00:07
have already tried 3 different ecu's that "will work your car" not 1 of them would even start it let alone run the dam thing.........so you can see i am a bit wary of keep spending money on ecu's that "will work my car but DON'T
sorry for the rant but this car is fast approaching costing me more in repairs than it's worth

I wont say that ive spent £2,000 on improvements and up keep on mine this year then pmsl shhhhh, Dont tell the wife PMSL

t5steve
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 00:15
i wish i had spent all the money on improvements..............i just want the dam thing to tickover