PDA

View Full Version : 850 Buying and tuning guide?

MarkGolf
Monday 20th December 2004, 01:04
Hi there...

Im looking to buy myself an 850 T5 early next year to use as my daily runner... Only looking to spend about £2.5k, may stretch to more if the cars right.. Defo not more than £3k!
I've found a couple with arund 100k, leather, "mint" condition for that money.

Well, Im totally new to volvo's, If I get one with a bit over 100k on the clock, are they generally reliable or do they require work??

I dont really want to spend much on it in terms of parts, just want it to work and work well..

Its going to be used daily, and I drive my cars quite hard, but maintain them to a high standard, will a 100k T5 be up to this provided its been looked after before me?

As its my daily car and i've got a toy car, its got to be low key, but i can't help myself from wanting to play with it.. Im going to give it a good tidy up, new badges and other stuck on bits, paintED calipers, tint rear light fully red, cheapo sub/amp and so on.. just to make it respectable.. WELL, What I do want, are engine mods! But CHEAPO ones, as said, I've already got a toy for that... But fancy an air filter, decat, is it poss to wind the boost up on a stock car? Recomendations to cheap upgrades would be very much appreciated... Wil prob lower it a touch too..

The purpose o the car is to carry computer bits about, carry mates around, and been used hard on my late night spirited drives along the A3.. So want minor minor minor cheap perforamce upgrades, the car has to last me as a daily run about..

If people can keep an eye out..

I want a T5 Estate, saloon will be considered..
Black, Silver preferably but anything considered
Must have leather
lol, basically anything with leather less than £3k..

Thanks for any advice

sorry for essay

Mark:D

Mrsmopp
Monday 20th December 2004, 10:04
Hi Mark!

100k is just a teenager for these cars. I would be looking at anything under 200k as long as its been looked after and is well maintained. I'm on 131k and its been so well looked after I am sure I'd get another 100k out of her.

As for a cheap mod for more power your best bet would be an MBC about £30 - £40 can get your boost up manually to deliver 240 - 260BHP. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to fit it tho.

Justin's car is for sale at the moment - its had everything done and even has the ECU upgrade to 300bhp!!! :wink: Full cream leather and all the toys! Might be worth getting in contact with him....Pics here.....http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/thumbnails.php?album=104

x

Bracer
Monday 20th December 2004, 10:12
I second J's car.

Put it this way, if I had the money I would have it off him :eek:

MarkGolf
Monday 20th December 2004, 12:25
I thought it might be quite easy to have the boost wound up..

Any details on an MBC??
Also, I just loooked on Volvo Tuning UK's site and they do a chip for £250 to achieve 280bhp. Is this any good? Surely with the chip and MBC I'd have an easy 300bhp..

I love Justins car, its very nice, but Im sure he's going to want more than I want to pay for a car...

Mrsmopp
Monday 20th December 2004, 12:33
Justins is up for £3,500 but I am sure he could do you a deal :wink:

An MBC isn't advisiable alongside an ECU upgrade - the MBC over rides the ECU's capicity to run on limp home mode so if there was a problem you run the risk of damaging the car.

The 280bhp version of the RICA id VERY good value for money - you also may get a discount for being a member of this site. :wink: The RICA upgrade has been done on quite a few of our cars and I fully recommend it!! Miles of smiles!!

x

MarkGolf
Monday 20th December 2004, 12:52
oh nice!!

So whats best in your oppinion? ECU upgrade or the MBC?

The cars going to be used nearly everyday, so must remain reliable..

:D

Bracer
Monday 20th December 2004, 12:58
oh nice!!

So whats best in your oppinion? ECU upgrade or the MBC?

The cars going to be used nearly everyday, so must remain reliable..

:D

It really depends on your buget mate. The ECU will be better than the MBC simple, but if you aint got the money there is the MBC.

You get what you pay for simply :wink:

Mrsmopp
Monday 20th December 2004, 13:04
ECU upgrade everytime! the MBC is brilliant - i had one fitted to mine before the ECU upgrade and its really does give a big difference but the ECU is the safer bet plus it wont affect your fuel economy. :wink:

x

MarkGolf
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 11:28
ECU it is!

Well, in terms of the car itself. Are there certain things to look for?
Rust, blue smoke, gearbox probs e.t.c?? The car MUST last, so don want to buy something showing signs of breaking..

Murphy
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 12:03
Volvo's are fairly solid and age well. The only things to look for are the obvious things, FSH lots of recipts as the newest 850 is now 8 years old. Make sure on test drive the car pulls well in all gears with a 1/4 boost into the gauge of a standard car. Ensure clutches are in good order, but they are quite light anyway so check there is no slipping. the latter cars are the best ones to have as Volvo added a few extra bits to them like adjustable day running lights, different radio, different heater controls etc - 850 R or T5-R are the flagship sport models, and the CD is the flagship comfort or prestige varient and most have leather and a/c.

With volvo's you need to buy for the overall condition though and not the year or millage etc. Justin's car is absolutly perfect in that there is nothing to do to it regarding service, maintainence or mods, it is all there.

good look with your purchase

Andy

MarkGolf
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 12:52
Sounds great! :D

Im looking to buy in Jan, say mid/late...

Leather is a MUST, A/C not bothered either way, must have full s/h and thats my criteria really, oh, and be UNDER £3k..

I do like Justins car, but he wants more than I can offer for it sadly..

Bracer
Tuesday 21st December 2004, 13:34
Sounds great! :D

Im looking to buy in Jan, say mid/late...

Leather is a MUST, A/C not bothered either way, must have full s/h and thats my criteria really, oh, and be UNDER £3k..

I do like Justins car, but he wants more than I can offer for it sadly..

Have you spoken to him ?

If you dont ask, you dont get !