PDA

View Full Version : Would it be inconsiderate of me....

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 13:26
I like the ph 1 V70 T5 so much, I've got thoughts going through my head about my D5. OK, the D5 gives me approx. 44mpg on good runs, and I do around 28,000 miles per year, but what about the depreciation on the car. What if I sold my D5, got another lower mileage ph1 V70 T5 in saffron(I really like that colour), and did 28,000 miles between the 2 cars. Environmentally speaking, would that be inconsiderate of me? My journeys are mostly decent ones, and I would get the maximum mpg obtainable from a T5, but it wouldn't be very 'green' of me.

Thoughts/comments would be appreciated please....

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 13:45
Sorry, might be showing my 'newness' to the performance Volvo's in the messaage above. I think the saffron colour is only on the R model ?

dicky b t5
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 14:20
Hi Mark, im the proud owner of a Saffy V70R. Had it for almost 6yrs now.

Just to give you a rough idea, i get about 23-24mpg average and thats not booting it about !! (im too old for all that lol)

So, its gonna cost you about double over your D5.

Id stick to the D5 if your doing that kind of milage...But wheres the fun in that !!;0)

Dicky.

Kingsford G
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 14:56
I am selling my 56-plate passat `cos of the volvo,everyone think I am mad but I like the power also it`s my cab but with my bad back can`t put the hours in and hate the job as well so going to concentrate on my garage more therefore less driving.I have a cheap diesel runaround.The fuel consumption is nearly double,if u commuting to work doing lots of miles stick to D5 save a lot of money.I mean they are quick and with a little remap and diesel engine torque will be fun to drive.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 15:03
with a manual "R" and a light foot you can squeeze 30mpg from them but thats so boring i get around 15mpg out of mine

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 15:37
Thanks for the comments/advice, and I guess I'm sticking with the D5. I thought it was a wild idea to consider 2 petrol T5/R models, but I'm coming to my senses now.

t5_monkey
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 16:14
If you're doing 28k.....

Go for a sorted D5 with a remap. Spend the rest on good dampers, strut brace and new bushes so every corner will be a pleasure !

A D5 with sorted suspension will be quicker than a baggy T5 over most driving roads anyways.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 19:46
Environmentally speaking, would that be inconsiderate of me? My journeys are mostly decent ones, and I would get the maximum mpg obtainable from a T5, but it wouldn't be very 'green' of me.

Thoughts/comments would be appreciated please....
Go for it!

You might as well enjoy your cars while you can as eventually it will cost too much to run our kind of cars, only the super rich will be able to keep driving in performance, etc cars

Life is too short to be worrying about being 'green'. There are far worse polluting things happening currently.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 19:52
I couldnt possibly comment... I do approximately 24k a year and do it in a T5. I get around 29 when Im careful.

Its probably costing me a fortune but whatever I buy I always end up back in a Volvo, for me I can live with the fuel bill to travel in comfort, at good speed and in a safe motor.

That said if I could afford a D5 I probably would run one too.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 20:01
Go for it!

You might as well enjoy your cars while you can as eventually it will cost too much to run our kind of cars, only the super rich will be able to keep driving in performance, etc cars

Life is too short to be worrying about being 'green'. There are far worse polluting things happening currently.

Thanks! I thought I was sorted on this, but you've made me think again. As I see it, my D5 cost just under £7,000, but if I sell it now whilst only on 104k miles, buy a ph1 V70 T5/R for £1.5-3,000, then OK my fuel costs go up, but so does my driving pleasure! Seriously, if you work it out:- diesel £1.39/litre x 4.54= £6.31/44mpg average= 14.3p/mile unleaded £1.34/litre x 4.54= £6.08/25mpg average= 24.3p/mile. So 10p/mile more x 28,000= £2,800!! Therefore, I have to stick with the D5 for 20,000 of the 28,000 miles at least.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 20:40
Thanks! I thought I was sorted on this, but you've made me think again. As I see it, my D5 cost just under £7,000, but if I sell it now whilst only on 104k miles, buy a ph1 V70 T5/R for £1.5-3,000, then OK my fuel costs go up, but so does my driving pleasure! Seriously, if you work it out:- diesel £1.39/litre x 4.54= £6.31/44mpg average= 14.3p/mile unleaded £1.34/litre x 4.54= £6.08/25mpg average= 24.3p/mile. So 10p/mile more x 28,000= £2,800!! Therefore, I have to stick with the D5 for 20,000 of the 28,000 miles at least.
Then there is your answer.

I know what I would be choosing though...

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 20:41

yeah my 850r

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 20:50

I presume not the D5 option? It's difficult one, cos if I run the D5 to 170-200k miles, then I will lose a fortune on it. If I buy a ph 1 V70 T5/R that's done say 120k, and I run that with my higher mileage T5, and keep them both for 2-3 years, I may lose less money!? But the fuel costs keep going through my head. I think Parkers car guide said 29 average MPG for the T5, which if correct, I will get 30-31, but that' driving with my flat cap and slippers on(which I don't actually have!). The fact is I love the look of those saffy V70R's and I must get one.. soon!

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:08
with a manual "R" and a light foot you can squeeze 30mpg from them but thats so boring i get around 15mpg out of mine

Same here.LOL

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:13
Same here.LOL

The 30mpg I could handle and I would sell my D5. The mention of 15mpg makes me shudder..but what do you get seriously if you push the R/T5? In a typical day, I probably spend 10% of my time doing 90+ and the other 90% at 60-70. The roads just don't allow fast safe driving anymore, like say 15-20 years ago.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:40
I presume not the D5 option? It's difficult one, cos if I run the D5 to 170-200k miles, then I will lose a fortune on it. If I buy a ph 1 V70 T5/R that's done say 120k, and I run that with my higher mileage T5, and keep them both for 2-3 years, I may lose less money!? But the fuel costs keep going through my head. I think Parkers car guide said 29 average MPG for the T5, which if correct, I will get 30-31, but that' driving with my flat cap and slippers on(which I don't actually have!). The fact is I love the look of those saffy V70R's and I must get one.. soon!
You're thinking along the principles that you buy a car to sell on later.

It boils down to whether you go with your heart (the driver in you) or your head (the money)

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:40
Ive seen myne down to 10 mpg with out to much trying. I have quite a heavy right foot so my fuel doesnt last long at all but i dont mind the thirst really as its only a weekend toy for me as i have a work van for the week.
Lowest ive had myne down to was 7 mpg. That was booting it round town and between traffic lights. Good fun but could get expensive.
On a good run sitting around 90mph im usually getting around 20 - 25mpg. Sitting at 70 ive had 34 mpg out of it before. I think a remap does help to.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:48
Ive seen myne down to 10 mpg with out to much trying. I have quite a heavy right foot so my fuel doesnt last long at all but i dont mind the thirst really as its only a weekend toy for me as i have a work van for the week.
Lowest ive had myne down to was 7 mpg. That was booting it round town and between traffic lights. Good fun but could get expensive.
On a good run sitting around 90mph im usually getting around 20 - 25mpg. Sitting at 70 ive had 34 mpg out of it before. I think a remap does help to.

My idea was to have the D5 for the bulk of the 28,000 miles per year, say 20,000 minimum, and then the T5 that I've just bought for the other 8,000. But if I sell my D5 now, I should get decent money as it is a superb car with absolutely nothing wrong with it. I then buy a cheaper V70R, do less to the gallon, but I won't have as much depreciation- will I? I've even got my calculator out to try and work this out! The T5 has cost me £1,250 with the service/cambelt and PCV, so I can't lose much on that anyway.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:51
My idea was to have the D5 for the bulk of the 28,000 miles per year, say 20,000 minimum, and then the T5 that I've just bought for the other 8,000. But if I sell my D5 now, I should get decent money as it is a superb car with absolutely nothing wrong with it. I then buy a cheaper V70R, do less to the gallon, but I won't have as much depreciation- will I? I've even got my calculator out to try and work this out! The T5 has cost me £1,250 with the service/cambelt and PCV, so I can't lose much on that anyway.

then why would you need a t5?

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:54
The only problem i can see is if you do get a V70R it's what milage would be on one when you got it and then if your doing that many miles per year they'll soon start to stack up.
These car's are good for alot of miles youd just have to make sure you got a good one. Not like myne.LOL

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:55

Good point. Maybe have the T5 in reserve just in case.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:56
sell the d5 and the t5 and buy a laser blue 1999 v70r 2.4 265bhp as standard if you can find one, if you want a saffy james has got one he will be selling pretty soon i'd imagine quite cheap too

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:58
sell the d5 and the t5 and buy a laser blue 1999 v70r 2.4 265bhp as standard if you can find one, if you want a saffy james has got one he will be selling pretty soon i'd imagine quite cheap too

Dont want to many saffy's knocking about round here. They'll start to become common. Lol.

T5frankie
its the hard acceleration that kills your mpg not the cruising

foammanmark

For weekends, towing the caravan for the two weeks that we have a away each year, and for doing the local business trips to reduce the mileage on the orher car.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:59
Dont want to many saffy's knocking about round here. They'll start to become common. Lol.

i thought your's was supposed to be a good one?

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:00
For weekends, towing the caravan for the two weeks that we have a away each year, and for doing the local business trips to reduce the mileage on the orher car.

a v70r will do everything though and when the miles get too high flog it and get another one with lower mileage

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:00
I wish it was mate. Having nothing but trouble with it at the min.

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:06

Sell the caravan. LOL

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:09

I don't know of any around here, and you're 100 miles away. I may see you when I go up Scotland which is 2-3 times per year and we could meet?!

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:10
I wish it was mate. Having nothing but trouble with it at the min.

what issues it got?

daza-b
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:11
think of it this way, diesel nicknamed "dirty" diesel i think is slightly more polluting than petrol, and the other thing, diesel is 10p per gallon more so you wont really be saving much anyway ;) thats how i see it anyway lol

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:14
I don't know of any around here, and you're 100 miles away. I may see you when I go up Scotland which is 2-3 times per year and we could meet?!

There aint any others round here either. Yes give me a shout when your heading upto to scotland. I only few mins off junction 42 M6.
If we get a meet organised down your way ill be down in it and you can see what you think.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:15
think of it this way, diesel nicknamed "dirty" diesel i think is slightly more polluting than petrol, and the other thing, diesel is 10p per gallon more so you wont really be saving much anyway ;) thats how i see it anyway lol

At some garages now, it's almost 10p a litre more, which is totally unjustified. But the extra MPG still ore than cancels that out. It's the depreciation on the D5 that I think I can really save on, by considering the other option.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:16
At some garages now, it's almost 10p a litre more, which is totally unjustified. But the extra MPG still ore than cancels that out. It's the depreciation on the D5 that I think I can really save on, by considering the other option.

Beer's starting to affect my typing now, so I will probably call it a day soon....

daza-b
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:16

2 T5s sounds greedy to me ;) haha what am i saying more the merrier, hardest part is ........"hmm which shall i use today" :D haha

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:19
what issues it got?

Few problems at the min.

Clutch is goosed, Steering rack is leaking fluid badly, got an oil leak somewhere, still has a bit of a missfire, not boosting properly sometimes, air con's packed in, passenger side heater is stuck on full, engine is making some unhealthy noise's and strut top mount have gone.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:20
Few problems at the min.

Clutch is goosed, Steering rack is leaking fluid badly, got an oil leak somewhere, still has a bit of a missfire, not boosting properly sometimes, air con's packed in, passenger side heater is stuck on full, engine is making some unhealthy noise's and strut top mount have gone.

shame mate you paid good money for that too didnt you

daza-b
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:20
Few problems at the min.

sounds like a quality motor haha

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:25
shame mate you paid good money for that too didnt you

yes a paid 2800 for it. Annoying thing with the clutch is i have receipt's showing that it had full clutch kit, bearing and DMF 20,000 miles ago so shouldbt been on its way out already.

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:27
sounds like a quality motor haha

Lol. When it decides to run right and the clutch dont slip it can go like bat outa hell. Im running an MBC on it and she boosts to around 1.4 Bar.

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:28

I noticed that with fuel just before. Local shell garage diesel is 11p more than petrol.

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:34
Lol. When it decides to run right and the clutch dont slip it can go like bat outa hell. Im running an MBC on it and she boosts to around 1.4 Bar.

thats too much mate turn it down to 1.1 bar-1.2 for everyday use

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:34
yes a paid 2800 for it. Annoying thing with the clutch is i have receipt's showing that it had full clutch kit, bearing and DMF 20,000 miles ago so shouldbt been on its way out already.

cos you are running boost too high mate

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:37
thats too much mate turn it down to 1.1 bar-1.2 for everyday use

Will it end in tears if i run it where i am now?

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:40
Will it end in tears if i run it where i am now?

yes mate apart from your clutch you will bend a rod i did, i was running 22psi for a while, your clutch won't slip if you turn it down

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:45
yes mate apart from your clutch you will bend a rod i did, i was running 22psi for a while, your clutch won't slip if you turn it down

Ill give it a try mate cheers. Going to try and fix a few bits on it over xmas while ive got 2 weeks off and access to 4 poster.
Want to get to a few meets next year and i want to see your R in person. Itll show myne up some what. Ha

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:48
Ill give it a try mate cheers. Going to try and fix a few bits on it over xmas while ive got 2 weeks off and access to 4 poster.
Want to get to a few meets next year and i want to see your R in person. Itll show myne up some what. Ha

i am quite proud of what it looks like now compared to when i got it

smithson007
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 22:52
i am quite proud of what it looks like now compared to when i got it

So you should be mate. Must have been some serious hard work and cash put in to it to look as good as it does. How long you owned it for?

T5frankie
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 23:52
So you should be mate. Must have been some serious hard work and cash put in to it to look as good as it does. How long you owned it for?

only 18 months