PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction in Birmingham

S60-MBS
Thursday 1st December 2011, 18:38
Hi Chaps,

Can you guys recomend or know anyone who can do a paint correction on my S60 in the Birmingham Area.
The car is in very good nick bodywise but the swirl marks are getting irritating.
Want to try and get this out of the way before Xmas.

Regards

Mo

M-R-P
Thursday 1st December 2011, 18:42
It's not too hard a job if done with patience. It can be done by hand but with a volvo, it's probably best to use a machine. I used a 5" angle grinder (no more than 6000rpm) and a foam mop to do mine.

Wobbly Dave is pretty clued-up with this sort of thing ;)

daza-b
Thursday 1st December 2011, 18:46
Hi Chaps,

Can you guys recomend or know anyone who can do a paint correction on my S60 in the Birmingham Area.
The car is in very good nick bodywise but the swirl marks are getting irritating.
Want to try and get this out of the way before Xmas.

Regards

Mo

where abouts are you bud? i own a valeting company :D lol

daza-b
Thursday 1st December 2011, 18:48
should have read it more haha silly me

S60-MBS
Thursday 1st December 2011, 18:51
It's not too hard a job if done with patience. It can be done by hand but with a volvo, it's probably best to use a machine. I used a 5" angle grinder (no more than 6000rpm) and a foam mop to do mine.

Wobbly Dave is pretty clued-up with this sort of thing ;)

Wanted to do it myself but neary crapped myself when I saw my nieghbour burn his paint out on his car. I have normal polishing machine and loads od decnt wax/ polish but but very nervous about over doing it.

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 19:23
try chad on here he is based in brum

daza-b
Thursday 1st December 2011, 19:25
to be honest mate its very hard to over do it, i have only done it once and thats when i 1st started valeting, 15 years later and not done it since lol, only way you can do it is have the rpm way to high and staying in the same place, other than that the lacquer is always nice and tough :)

S60-MBS
Thursday 1st December 2011, 19:34
try chad on here he is based in brum

Cheers Frankie didnt recall Chad did that too until you mentioned it.

Santa
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:01
You should see his V70R, paint work is absolutely mint......though he did respray the whole car.

S60-MBS
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:06
You should see his V70R, paint work is absolutely mint......though he did respray the whole car.

Explains why nearly had a cardiac when I very nearly push the gate outside garage into his car LMFAO

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:07
Ill be at Chad's place sat morning if your popping in.

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:08

ask him how much for a full respray for my 850r

Santa
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:09
Explains why nearly had a cardiac when I very nearly push the gate outside garage into his car LMFAO

I can fix it, I have an orange crayon (Well thats what my wife would say).

Santa
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:10

Is it that pink?

S60-MBS
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:17

What Time you getting there James? I am sure I can be there around 10'ish onwards.

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st December 2011, 20:23
What Time you getting there James? I am sure I can be there around 10'ish onwards.

They are kind enough to let me have the use of their ramp for the morning so i can work on my car so ill be there from about 10 ish onwards

merc85
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:00

Cant be that Pink Surly?? My 850 auto looked worse than that, and i managed to get that back ok.

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:12
Is it that pink?

mainly top like bonnet and roof

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:13
Cant be that Pink Surly?? My 850 auto looked worse than that, and i managed to get that back ok.

how did you do it?

merc85
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:26
how did you do it?

A fine "g3" compound, 3m Finesse is also very good, Didnt use it with a mop though, As was worried about going to mad with it. Mine was very very bad, twice on the bonnet and roof by Hand, the rest very lightly once.

Then Used a Good Quality Polish after, to bring the Red up and add some protection as when you use a Compound it WILL destroy ALL protection there was. Also wouldnt recomend using it over Cracked Top Coat.

Then used The Autoglym Sealer afterwards, Coupled with Simoniz Hard Wax which hasnt any abrasives, I do Polish and wax my Car's regular but at a Push she wood last a Month before she started to loose her Shine on the Bonnet and Roof.

Always washed her with a Good Wax too before any polishing.

I'm sure there are other methods and maybe better ones But i've never had any issue using the above methods on my Red Cars.
If in doubt try a small corner 1st and see how it reacts.

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:46
A fine "g3" compound, 3m Finesse is also very good, Didnt use it with a mop though, As was worried about going to mad with it. Mine was very very bad, twice on the bonnet and roof by Hand, the rest very lightly once.

Then Used a Good Quality Polish after, to bring the Red up and add some protection as when you use a Compound it WILL destroy ALL protection there was. Also wouldnt recomend using it over Cracked Top Coat.

Then used The Autoglym Sealer afterwards, Coupled with Simoniz Hard Wax which hasnt any abrasives, I do Polish and wax my Car's regular but at a Push she wood last a Month before she started to loose her Shine on the Bonnet and Roof.

Always washed her with a Good Wax too before any polishing.

I'm sure there are other methods and maybe better ones But i've never had any issue using the above methods on my Red Cars.
If in doubt try a small corner 1st and see how it reacts.

aint got a clue what your on about lol, i just take mine to the immigrants

merc85
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:51
aint got a clue what your on about lol, i just take mine to the immigrants

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/260754267014?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

or

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/260754267014?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

With

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-EXTRA-GLOSS-PROTECTION-500-ml-FREE-POSTAGE-/370544780037?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleani ng&hash=item564630a305

and

Autoglym super resin polish / These are just examples but they are what i have used.

Merguires are also good Polishes

T5frankie
Thursday 1st December 2011, 21:58

or

With

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-EXTRA-GLOSS-PROTECTION-500-ml-FREE-POSTAGE-/370544780037?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleani ng&hash=item564630a305

and

Autoglym super resin polish / These are just examples but they are what i have used.

Merguires are also good Polishes

aint got this problem with the gay one lol

merc85
Thursday 1st December 2011, 22:07
Pmsl, Reds are High maintenance, My wife was in a Previous Life (RED) that is lmfao

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2011, 23:45
If you bring it to me & you are prepared to put the work in I will help you bring it up. You'll need to put your hand in your pocket to pay for claybar & other materials. This time of year is not ideal for paint correction (temps tend to be a bit low making the top coat a bit hard). It would be better done in the spring.

However if you are really keen then we can do it together on a weekend - possibly 17th. If you have access to a workshop then this would be made easier.