PDA

View Full Version : Can't afford fixing it anymore - what next

gfurm
Thursday 1st December 2011, 14:39
Like many others the DIM on my s60 died recently. I send it out to ClusterRepairs.co.uk and after a week they told me it can't be repaired.
Now comes the hard part. If I could keep the car for few more years I'd probably spenb 750 quid and get it fixed, but for some reason my insurance (due in february) doubled so I can't afford it next year (1500 quid for a car that is worth about that much, £££££££s).

So the question is what next? Try selling it for spares? I can't break it myself, would rather sell it as a whole. And how much would I get for that?

Greg

MattM
Thursday 1st December 2011, 15:11
Shop around for a better insurer? If the car is only worth £1500 it makes no sense to insure it for it's value, you'd be better of looking at TPFT which should work out cheaper.

daza-b
Thursday 1st December 2011, 15:26
Like many others the DIM on my s60 died recently. I send it out to ClusterRepairs.co.uk and after a week they told me it can't be repaired.
Now comes the hard part. If I could keep the car for few more years I'd probably spenb 750 quid and get it fixed, but for some reason my insurance (due in february) doubled so I can't afford it next year (1500 quid for a car that is worth about that much, £££££££s).

So the question is what next? Try selling it for spares? I can't break it myself, would rather sell it as a whole. And how much would I get for that?

Greg

i would offer a certain amount for it as spares/repairs, but all depends on how much ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2011, 15:32
Give the old DIM to martin peachey for him to destroy in a blaze of glory

gfurm
Thursday 1st December 2011, 15:48
Shop around for a better insurer? If the car is only worth £1500 it makes no sense to insure it for it's value, you'd be better of looking at TPFT which should work out cheaper.

It's not the renewal quote, it's what came out of moneysupermarket, gocompare and confused. And it is TPFT, fully comp was 1900. Bad postcode I guess.

I still amy be able to fix it and insure it for few months next year. Waiting for answer after my job interview, if I got it it would mean pay increase and I could afford it for a bit longer. Should know sometimes next week.

LeeT5
Thursday 1st December 2011, 23:39
It's not the renewal quote, it's what came out of moneysupermarket, gocompare and confused. And it is TPFT, fully comp was 1900. Bad postcode I guess.

I still amy be able to fix it and insure it for few months next year. Waiting for answer after my job interview, if I got it it would mean pay increase and I could afford it for a bit longer. Should know sometimes next week.

Anything is fixable dude! Try giving the unit to a radio shop. old school type place, been in the soldering trade donkeys years...that sort of place. I bet they could fix it!!

M-R-P
Friday 2nd December 2011, 00:10
I could get it going for a bit, or get a tv/mobile phone/computer repair shop to resolder the Motorola chip on the top left of the board. that's the one that fails.
Read a few of my threads, (especially the one that's called "how to destroy an old DIM ;))
The £735 is worth it. Lie to your insurer, tell them your dad is main driver and you're named or you're a driving instructor or get traders insurance. You know she's worth it ;)
My hell...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37519
Or like Wobbly says, send it to me and I'll destroy it in an entertaining way and post a video! Mine will be destroyed this week and the vid will be posted on Saturday night.

I say sell a kidney or whatever it takes. You'll kick yourself if you break her.

t5_monkey
Friday 2nd December 2011, 00:13

Greg

Keep the faith dude :) You'll get it back on the road.

gfurm
Friday 2nd December 2011, 14:10
I did that last year and it was fine until now, this weekI tried TV repair shop but he didn't want to try resoldering that chip, will try couple more.

Wich chip is it exactly, top left looking at the board from behind? Is resoldering enough or maybe it needs replacing?

LeeT5
Sunday 4th December 2011, 20:30
Look closely for dry joints...its the most common failure of ANY pcb. The amount of pcb's on remote control keyfobs i have done successfully is now about 50+. Make sure you wear gloves when handling the pcb as grease from your skin can damage delicate components on the board. Also, spray with electrical cleaner will help to find the dry joints. You have nothing to loose by trying to fix it yourself.

M-R-P
Sunday 4th December 2011, 20:57
It's the only mororola chip on the board, about an inch across. On the left - top with the board upright and the screens facing you.
Clear any resin off the legs with nail varnish remover.
Run a soldering iron across the vertical parts of the legs (use a magnifying gpass on a stand) you should see the solder melt, wait 5 seconds before moving to the next leg.
*** do not allow solder from one leg to flow to another*** pig of a job to do hut will buy you some time.
Shame youre not closer, id sort it for ya.

dalhousie2008
Sunday 4th December 2011, 21:31
yeah i agree you need to play around with insurance, i put my wife on as shes a teacher and it brings mine down £150 a year.

glock19
Wednesday 7th December 2011, 01:06
It's the only mororola chip on the board, about an inch across. On the left - top with the board upright and the screens facing you.
Clear any resin off the legs with nail varnish remover.
Run a soldering iron across the vertical parts of the legs (use a magnifying gpass on a stand) you should see the solder melt, wait 5 seconds before moving to the next leg.
*** do not allow solder from one leg to flow to another*** pig of a job to do hut will buy you some time.
Shame youre not closer, id sort it for ya.

Other things you need which does not cost a bomb (i.e Hot Air Station) but by just using a sharp soldering iron (not too hot 25W will do) :
- Solder Wick, you'll need some training on other PCBA to see how it works and this is useful when the leads are shorted during the repair process
- Very thin solder wire, I feel those with flux/rosin works better but becareful of the flux residue.
- Flux cleaner, aerosol can type. The high pressure spray can splash off the flux better
- Headband magnifier 3x-4x should be good enough, you don't want to be too near the board to inhale the flux vapour
- Liquid flux, to make the solder flow more fluid but if you are not comfortable, forget this.