PDA

View Full Version : Slow clutch pedal - thoughts?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st December 2011, 12:40
Took the R into work this morning (yeah, winter blues really bad at mo and needed to feel a bit alive - which I don't in the Honda - it worked whilst I was driving it ;)).
Not having driven it for about ten days, I noticed the clutch pedal wasn't coming back quite as fast as my foot - not slow, just not entirely spring-like.
No slip or anything like that, and the car has been sitting around for a few weeks without much driving.
It may clear with use, but wondering if the cable is crudding up (pathetic I know, but I'm assuming it's a cable!) or if the the splines are cacked, or anything else. No untoward noises which is good.

Cheers in advance!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2011, 12:47
Clutch fluid/Leak or Airlock? - sticky slave cylinder?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st December 2011, 12:50
Clutch fluid/Leak or Airlock? - sticky slave cylinder?

Sticky slave cylinder would make sense...that's what it feels like the beginnings of. The car is so damned reliable that I'm not as familiar with the underbonnet as I should be!

M-R-P
Thursday 1st December 2011, 13:03
Might be worth bleeding the clutch...?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2011, 13:12
You could try jacking it up - I believe the slave cylinder is external & see if an assistant can work the pedal & see if it looks like it is sticking - spray WD40 to free it off in the first instance.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st December 2011, 13:20
You could try jacking it up - I believe the slave cylinder is external & see if an assistant can work the pedal & see if it looks like it is sticking - spray WD40 to free it off in the first instance.

Never seen the bugger but getting an assistant sounds good cos I've done me back in and it don't half hurt rolling around on the cold winter ground :(

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st December 2011, 13:29
The words "Volvo garage" spring to mind

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st December 2011, 14:39
The words "Volvo garage" spring to mind

But Dave, in the time honoured words of Noddy Holder - IT'S KRIIIIIIIISTMAAAAAAZZZZ...and I can't bloody afford to :P

merc85
Thursday 1st December 2011, 16:11
Clutch Slave is Down in front of the Box just under the starter motor,

It is external But still Hydrolic.

I reckon it's the clutch release bearing on the Imput shaft getting a little dry and unable to slide as freely as it should, i greased my up wen i done the clutch but it was still fairly tight afterwords.

yoda
Thursday 1st December 2011, 16:36
sounds like the hydraulics what often happens is the seals start to fail and a small amount of fluid gets the wrong side this then has to be displaced as the peddle returns making it slow to come up, just a thought as I've had this on a few cars with hydraulics a Volvo and an E30 BM