PDA

View Full Version : Temperature problems?

yoda
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 21:41
Hi anyone i have a problem with the car in a morning the car fails to get to full working temp on my 17 mile trip to work, but seems to be ok in the evening when i travel home (more traffic warmer ambient temp) done the usual thermostat ,flushed out, new coolant ect. Any help suggestions would be much appreciated.

daza-b
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 21:44
Hi anyone i have a problem with the car in a morning the car fails to get to full working temp on my 17 mile trip to work, but seems to be ok in the evening when i travel home (more traffic warmer ambient temp) done the usual thermostat ,flushed out, new coolant ect. Any help suggestions would be much appreciated.

during winter many cars run cooler, mornings are a lot colder than the evening (in most cases) dont think it is something to worry about to much, either than or use a winter coolant??

AndysR
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 21:45
How do you know the car isn't getting to temperature, and what I mean by that is are you going by the gauge on the dash or are you judging it by the heat the interior heater provides during your drive?

Is the thermostat the correct one for the car, I mean temperature wise, and was it new when fitted? Even if both of these are correct the new thermostat could still be faulty. Either that or th gauge is not reading correctly. Usually the sender for the gauge, the one next to the thermostat, starts to go green on the outside and can be an indication that the sender is going faulty.

yoda
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 21:50
The temperature gauge reads low and internal temperature stays cold its a brand new thermostat of the correct rating may be faulty I guess.

AndysR
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 21:55
The temperature gauge reads low and internal temperature stays cold its a brand new thermostat of the correct rating may be faulty I guess.

There's not really alot that can affect both the gauge and the heater output other than overcooling as a result of the thermostat not correctly regulating the flow of coolant. If it's not then I'd fit a genuine one, but at this stage I'd be sourcing another thermostat and trying that.