PDA

View Full Version : Turning off driving lights

Andy
Thursday 18th August 2005, 17:34
Just for information and to hopefully save people a few pennies my car went in for some warranty work the other day and i requested that the automatic driving lights be turned off.

Now on my S70 i could just turn a grub screw and bingo, sorted, however on the S60 this is not the case.

Apparently Volvo use Vida to update the software in the car to turn off the automatic lights. I was informed that i may be charged for this but to my amazement upon signing my receipt i didn't have to pay a penny.

Probably only saved £15 or so but it all helps and its nice to see Volvo not stinging people for little things like that.

If anyone is wondering why i wanted the lights off is because i think they look stupid on a bright sunny day and i get flashed off other drivers as if to make me aware my lights are on, also the fact that i will save on bulbs.

I know i've just disabled one of my cars safety features but when its dull or when im driving fast on the motorway i use them anyway.

Hope that helps someone

dave
Thursday 18th August 2005, 19:34
i like them on all the time, shows off my bi-xenons nicely!, lol

dave

Andy
Thursday 18th August 2005, 21:09
i like them on all the time, shows off my bi-xenons nicely!, lol

dave

Lol, Snob!

glenns70
Saturday 20th August 2005, 11:42
Hi Andy,
I noticed that you could turn your lights off on your S70, how do you do that as I am fed up of replacing bulbs on mine?

Cheers

Glenn

Andy
Saturday 20th August 2005, 15:49
Hi Andy,
I noticed that you could turn your lights off on your S70, how do you do that as I am fed up of replacing bulbs on mine?

Cheers

Glenn

There is a small grub screw on the bottom right hand corner of the lights on switch. If you look in your owners manual it will tell you what position it needs to be in for the lights to be off, i can't remember off the top of my head and i don't have a manual now as the car is sold.

Andy

Al115
Saturday 20th August 2005, 16:20
This thing about replacing bulbs is odd. I've had my car three years, lights "on" all the time, and only had one bulb fail. Anyway I guess the lights on/off debate comes down to personal preference...

fraz13
Saturday 20th August 2005, 16:39
A had mine on all the time, a do around 28k a year

Just after a got the car a changed the bulbs coz they were Kack

They lasted nearly a year and 1 popped, a changed that 1 and the other popped a few days later

Maybe coincedence but its freaked me so al change both at the same time and leave the lights off untill a need them

p fandango
Saturday 20th August 2005, 17:09
i've had bt over 6 years now & think i've changed 3 bulbs at the very most

glenns70
Monday 22nd August 2005, 23:44
Thanks for the advise Andy, I know which screw you mean so shall give it a go tomorrow.

Glenn :)

Andy
Tuesday 23rd August 2005, 16:31
Thanks for the advise Andy, I know which screw you mean so shall give it a go tomorrow.

Glenn :)

No problem, your welcome.

Andy

glenns70
Saturday 27th August 2005, 14:01
Hey no more lights during the day anymore!
Thanks Andy, always wondered what that little screw was for?

Glenn

P.S. Just need to remember to turn them on when it's dark now.

Andy
Saturday 27th August 2005, 15:18
Excellent, Glad your pleased.

Im sure you'll remember to turn them on, people will remind you no doubt *flash flash flash flash you haven't got ur lights on * lol