PDA

View Full Version : tyre size???

local-looney
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 20:55
anyone tell me wot size tyres my car should be wearing? its an 850 estate,pikey version!!! reason being,read a thread about abs/tracs lite on and off and could be down to wrong tyre size......only had it 8 months and after being pointed out that one em needed a bit of air....i see i got 55's on the rear with 50's on the front????
do these need to be same size all round???
if so,martinrpreachey has just cost me more money!!!! :slap:

merc85
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:01
205 50 16's buddy if standard, As long as the Tyres are a (axle set) match across the axle they are legal and shouldnt put ur abs light on.

local-looney
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:05
205 50 16's buddy if standard, As long as the Tyres are a (axle set) match across the axle they are legal and shouldnt put ur abs light on.

ta for that!!..yep got 205 55 on rear,205 50 front...so are axle matched...tried plugging/unplugging abs ecu plug..pins cleaned so assuming abs ecu ???

daza-b
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:05
what he said haha :funkybana

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:12
I ran mine with 50/55 on it, never put the light on! But I like being different! :P

GreenMachine
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:28
possibly dry solder joints on the abs unit

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:40
possibly dry solder joints on the abs unit

On mine?

It has the earlier type ABS, which doesn't suffer with dry joints :)

GreenMachine
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:56
On mine?

It has the earlier type ABS, which doesn't suffer with dry joints :)

Didn't realise the earlier one's were different, both mine had suffered with the problem.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 22:02
They changed in '95, the OBD equipped cars are the later ones

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 12:33
Watch your speedo because it may over-read by about 10% or more if you put 50s on the front - both my T5 (205/50/16) and R (205/45/17 changed to 215/40/17) have always overread which is good for the ego and annoying always having to drive at 35 to get a true 30, and 80 for 70 etc.
Wish there was a practical solution for this - maybe bend the needle a bit ;)

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 14:24
anyone tell me wot size tyres my car should be wearing? its an 850 estate,pikey version!!! reason being,read a thread about abs/tracs lite on and off and could be down to wrong tyre size......only had it 8 months and after being pointed out that one em needed a bit of air....i see i got 55's on the rear with 50's on the front????
do these need to be same size all round???
if so,martinrpreachey has just cost me more money!!!! :slap:

Oh, blaming me? ;) It's a volvo, if it hasn't got a light on, it's probably got knackered bulbs!
Dry joints on the ABS module is a distinct possibility, also the connections to the abs ring - on the hub and even the abs ring itself.
When you stomp the brakes, does the abs kick in? if it does, does it pull to one side? could help pinpoint where the fault might be (make sure you got air in the tyres when you do it :))

local-looney
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 17:27
Oh, blaming me? ;) It's a volvo, if it hasn't got a light on, it's probably got knackered bulbs!
Dry joints on the ABS module is a distinct possibility, also the connections to the abs ring - on the hub and even the abs ring itself.
When you stomp the brakes, does the abs kick in? if it does, does it pull to one side? could help pinpoint where the fault might be (make sure you got air in the tyres when you do it :))

lol..your a bundle of joy arnt ya....:uglyhamme

seriously,thanks for that,tried your advice and didnt work..so may try your secondary!!! advice,or plug my diagnostic scanner in...mine sez its obd2 compliant..why didnt i think of that...doh!!! :doh:

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 17:29
Watch your speedo because it may over-read by about 10% or more if you put 50s on the front - both my T5 (205/50/16) and R (205/45/17 changed to 215/40/17) have always overread which is good for the ego and annoying always having to drive at 35 to get a true 30, and 80 for 70 etc.
Wish there was a practical solution for this - maybe bend the needle a bit ;)

it wont overread because they underread as standard so the speedo will actually be more accurate, my 19's are now bang on