PDA

View Full Version : 440 Turbo, something a bit different

Phil B
Sunday 27th November 2011, 20:19
It started out in life as a bog standard 440 1.8GS, bought for 200 quid with 80k on the clock, not a bad purchase i'd say.

Same colour and wheels as this but didnt take any pics of mine before i started:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/Images/Cache/Archive/325x0/Volvo/440%20(89-97)/440.jpg

Here it is as it stands today, modifications up to now include;

Before engine swap:

- Interior completely stripped of anything non performance orientated, still more to take out yet too
- Bonnet painted matt black and fitted with risers and pins
- TRS Tow strap
- 3.5in universal back box and home made decat
- Stickers :biggrin:

Good bit of fun for 6 months, then 89bhp got a little boring so upon finding a 440 Turbo for sale for £300 with 30,000 miles on it my mind was made up.

All image links removed because they dont work for some reason, Link to full album here:

http://imageshack.us/g/337/img0096wo.jpg/

So there you have it, up to now been a great project, albeit with a few little problems along the way but its my first project car and my first engine swap.

Mods after the engine swap:
- Standard turbo exhaust with homemade decat
- Denso iridium plugs
- Non descript aftermarket air filter
- Manual boost controller currently set to 0.6 bar as the clutch seems to be slipping at full boost after gear changes

Plenty more to come in the near future :)

Half arsed 0-60 video in the videos section

Tomcat
Sunday 27th November 2011, 20:36
Most of your photos dont show.

Phil B
Sunday 27th November 2011, 21:16
Edited images out as it doesnt seem to like imageshack links

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 20:41
i had a turbo one of these a while ago was my fist nice car theres a pic in my garage i loved that car lol still got a soft spot for these there getting very rare now

t5_monkey
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:26
ooh interesting :) look forward to more photos etc !

Phil B
Thursday 1st December 2011, 00:56
Thanks, im always tweaking or fiddling with something on it so there will be plenty of updates.

Also ive set myself a target of hitting 200bhp in 6 months so plenty of updates to come there too :)

dalhousie2008
Thursday 1st December 2011, 01:00
Didn't people used to use these in r5 turbos? Maybe a few tuning options on That forum, just a thought

nottsgreent5
Thursday 1st December 2011, 23:58
think mine was rolling roaded at around 170bhp ish was afew years ago tho lol from memory it had straight thru exhaust no cat 740 turbo injectors adjustable fuel preasure reg rich mod ecu hard to get hold of now mbc dumpvalve induction kit sounded like a imprezza use to pop n fart with flames out the exhaust was good fun till the rust set in lol

Phil B
Friday 2nd December 2011, 01:26
Currently running a decat, MBC and air filter on mine, no chance of getting a richmod ecu nowadays i dont think but i believe you can run them on a standard map to 200bhp if you have the boost limiter removed from the ignition module and have the supporting mods to make the power (T25 or bigger turbo, bigger injectors, intercooler, uprated clutch)

nottsgreent5
Friday 2nd December 2011, 20:53
when i went on 480 club europe other day im sure i read there another guy doing ecu upgrades in england mite be worth a look

Phil B
Friday 2nd December 2011, 22:12
Ah right thanks, did you catch his username? would be good to keep in mind for hitting my target as ill need the boost limit taking off at least.

nottsgreent5
Friday 2nd December 2011, 22:41
erm not to sure but sure they called it richmod but i know its not but some thing along those lines lol its a good site for 400 turbo. guy on there put a t4 lump in a 480 with out much hassle big power gains 200bhp standard wish i knew they would fit when i had mine lol

Phil B
Friday 2nd December 2011, 23:27
yeah ive had a good look around on there, some good stuff.

I consdered a t4 when i was deciding what to do with mine, but in the end i decided to keep it simple as far as the swap was concerned as its my first one.

nottsgreent5
Saturday 3rd December 2011, 23:34
think there was a guy on there years ago by the name of dragon loard whos on here now similar name but his was super charged and turbo was around 280 ish big big job tho lol

Phil B
Sunday 4th December 2011, 00:20
wow, not looking to go that big with it on this engine but respect to him for that :biggrin:

Wasnt that rich, of "richmod" fame that did that?

Realistically im looking to be hitting 200-230bhp out of this, any more and its a new gearbox and some custom pistons, and that sentence is worth about 6 times what i paid for the car so if i go any more than that its going to be on a bigger engine.

Had it weighed today on some not particularly accurate scrapyard scales (which measure to the nearest 20kg...) and after removing the tools and trolley jack out of the boot came back at 960kg, not bad i would say :)