PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 850 t5 lazy at low revs

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 02:27
Hey guys.I have an 850 t5 with a 49k done from new and fitted a remapped ecu (was told it`s an HLM 304) which makes it much faster from standard one but at low end it`s still slaggish.My mate has a saab 9-5 2.3 aero 230bhp and as soon as you touch the pedal gives a great respons and he claims he does easy 600miles on a long run doing 70-80mph.I could beat his car all day long but still not happy about the low end responce.Just wondering if there is anything that might need doing to improve that or is that what they are like?Don`t really like saabs especially the almost up your ...)Any help would be great.

p fandango
Sunday 27th November 2011, 02:42
an MBC (manual boost controller) will bring the turbo in as early in the rpm range as it can, but will possibly lose some of the top-end & does make the drive very aggressive. As you've said you've already got a remap i would advise extreme caution using an MBC tho as your boost limit will be raised/removed & could easily end in bent con-rods if your not carefull

49k on an 850 is certainly a rare thing

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 02:50
I actually have an MBC (spring bearing one)and a dump valve just need to get a gauge to have an accurate boost read so I dont over do it.

p fandango
Sunday 27th November 2011, 03:23
I actually have an MBC (spring bearing one)and a dump valve just need to get a gauge to have an accurate boost read so I dont over do it.
if your going to fit a dump valve then your best to blank off the original turbo mounted recirc valve LINK (http://forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=160202&product=FMBPVRM)

Al115
Sunday 27th November 2011, 04:42
Why is this in the Traders Section...?...

p fandango
Sunday 27th November 2011, 08:01
weren't me boss (ps i bet Tomcat wouldn't of noticed that ;))

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 15:44

I don`t know ,just tried to make a new thread still working on how to use options.

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 15:50
if your going to fit a dump valve then your best to blank off the original turbo mounted recirc valve LINK (http://forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=160202&product=FMBPVRM)

For some reason ppl saying a 10mm ratchet spanner is a must tool to fit it but from what I understand all you need is to stick a new dump valve into a lower hose from resirc valve which is on the the pipe you whant and blank the top hose and connect little vacuum hose.Is that correct?

p fandango
Sunday 27th November 2011, 15:54
For some reason ppl saying a 10mm ratchet spanner is a must tool to fit it but from what I understand all you need is to stick a new dump valve into a lower hose from resirc valve which is on the the pipe you whant and blank the top hose and connect little vacuum hose.Is that correct?
no, the recirc valve needs physically removing or it'll be doing exactly the same job as the dump valve. If you just remove the vac pipe from the recirc valve it will open with hardly any resistance & will let all the boost pressure out of the system. The dump valve wants to be fitted as close to the throttle body as possible

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 16:19
no, the recirc valve needs physically removing or it'll be doing exactly the same job as the dump valve. If you just remove the vac pipe from the recirc valve it will open with hardly any resistance & will let all the boost pressure out of the system. The dump valve wants to be fitted as close to the throttle body as possible

Yes the old one need removing but I didn`t know the BOV needs to be as close to the throttle body as possible.Looks like I can`t get away without having a fitting kit.Thanx for the info mate.

AndysR
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:50
49k that is low mileage as your in Colchester you'll have to get along to some of the Essex meets in it...

Rev's wise they're not the fastest to rev low down from what your describing I'd say it's normal.

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:58
49k that is low mileage as your in Colchester you'll have to get along to some of the Essex meets in it...

Rev's wise they're not the fastest to rev low down from what your describing I'd say it's normal.

Lovely miles,even the smell inside is original.My wife wants me to sell it `cos too juicy but I love it.I would love to go to a meatings to see some mods on other volvos.Any idea when and where?

AndysR
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:00
Lovely miles,even the smell inside is original.My wife wants me to sell it `cos too juicy but I love it.I would love to go to a meatings to see some mods on other volvos.Any idea when and where?

Usually at the Dick Turpin pub along the A127 the first or second Sunday of the month. Keep your eyes peeled for a thread as they usually get started around now... I'll link it across to here when someone starts one if you like.

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:02
Thanx mate.I might see you there.

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:27
http://www.rica-uk.com/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=101 looking at this I should be getting better torque at low end as my ecu suppose to be HLM 304

t5_monkey
Sunday 27th November 2011, 21:59
He could just have different throttle mapping.

End of the day you're faster :) just drop a cog.

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 22:07
Going to take it on rolling road when I have some spare cash.But it feels like similar to skyline we went to see with my cuz it was 308bhp printout.

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 14th April 2012, 14:52
Hey guys.I have an 850 t5 with a 49k done from new and fitted a remapped ecu (was told it`s an HLM 304) which makes it much faster from standard one but at low end it`s still slaggish.My mate has a saab 9-5 2.3 aero 230bhp and as soon as you touch the pedal gives a great respons and he claims he does easy 600miles on a long run doing 70-80mph.I could beat his car all day long but still not happy about the low end responce.Just wondering if there is anything that might need doing to improve that or is that what they are like?Don`t really like saabs especially the almost up your ...)Any help would be great.

Mate, i have the Saab 9-5 2.3 and i feel your pain. The saabs have MASSIVE mid range tourqe...... Ive been trying to find the 2003 topgearreview video to post of the 9-5 areo. Clarkson quoted that the 9-5 could out accellerate a 911 turbo from 40-65mph..... And thats standard. And the old 9-3's could do a ferrari testorssa in the same way. I have just bought a 1998 V70 R and love the car but wish it was more responsive lower down.

p fandango
Saturday 14th April 2012, 15:19
Ive been trying to find the 2003 topgearreview video to post of the 9-5 areo
you'll be wanting Top Gear series 3, episode 3

craigoodwood
Saturday 14th April 2012, 15:31
i just read through all that then realized the thread is 5 moths old :dunce:

Gunscrossed
Saturday 14th April 2012, 15:49
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-3-episode-3-all-rightsbbc-uk_2196645.htm

"...the plane has a Volvo engine..."

T5frankie
Saturday 14th April 2012, 20:28
im driving myy car without an mbc now just off the bcs and boy is it crap, sooo boring lol

Niles
Saturday 14th April 2012, 20:46
progressive linear map. the boost is kept down and builds up with the rev range. Its designed to stop bent rods and keep traction.

T5frankie
Saturday 14th April 2012, 20:54
progressive linear map. the boost is kept down and builds up with the rev range. Its designed to stop bent rods and keep traction.

yeah but it feels so slow mate