PDA

View Full Version : GLT or GLE

heyes
Saturday 26th November 2011, 21:57
What are the differences between them on a 850 t5

merc85
Saturday 26th November 2011, 22:17

I belive the GLT is a basic spec, with frt electric windows only black plastic dash etc.

GLE i'd thought would have valour seats and perhaps a wood dash and 4 electric windows etc etc

Alan M
Saturday 26th November 2011, 22:42
To be honest it really doesn't matter what spec you had as the optional extras even with basic models no matter the prefix were endless so one glt is never the same as another if you catch my drift.

T5frankie
Saturday 26th November 2011, 23:32
i have a glt that has half leather four electric windows and t5 wheels as standard

t5steve
Sunday 27th November 2011, 10:56
mine is a glt.........half leather,front electric windows,non electric heated seats,t5 alloys,coloured dash,wooden dash.
hope this helps

IC
Sunday 27th November 2011, 12:08

The GLE was the top specification 850 (excluding the R) with leather etc (similar in spec to the CD in the MY '97/'98 70 Series).

Volvostorm
Sunday 27th November 2011, 12:43
mine is a glt.........half leather,front electric windows,non electric heated seats,t5 alloys,coloured dash,wooden dash.
hope this helps

Mine's an 'S' and it has all this, plus 4 x electric windows, guess you can't really go on what the trim badges say.

T5frankie
Sunday 27th November 2011, 13:16
and mine has electric roof and air con

AndysR
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:23
Buying a Volvo and choosing a spec is, or was, much like going to MacDonalds and buying a burger. You can grab yourself a Big Mac on it's own or you can have it with a drink and possibly even fries if you fancy, however if your going to buy the burger with the drink and the fries then you might as well buy a package known as a meal. With the Volvo if you went into the showroom and you wanted leather, 4x electric windows, air con, wood trim then you went for a package and bought the GLE or CD as it was later known. But if you wanted an 850 with front electric windows and weren't worried about electric rear windows or wood trim then you opted for an S but because you wanted the leather seats you specified them as an option at the time of purchase.

At all trim levels (except T-5R/R) you could pick the engine you wanted and add as many extras that you wanted meaning you could personalise your car to your requirements but it means deciding what spec level a car is today without the V5 or carrying out a HPI check becomes difficult.

The trim levels available around 1995 were (in order of price and spec level)

850 S Electric adjustable passenger door mirror, central locking, Ginza upholstery, heated front seats, passenger vanity mirror, wheel trims

850 SE (S plus: Mistra upholstery CR905 cassette radio with 6 speakers, Remote alarm control locking, electric front windows, electric mirrors, illuminated passenger vanity mirror, sunroof, vented wheel trims)

850 GLT (S plus: CR905 cassette radio with 6 speakers, Remote alarm central locking Dakar half cloth/leather, 16" Columba alloys, front fogs, trip computer, electric front windows, electric mirrors, electric sunroof)

850 GLE - renamed for 96MY as the CD (S plus: Remote central locking, Electric front and rear windows, SC800 with 8 speakers, Burr walnut dash, Illuminated drivers and passenger vanity mirror, leather steering wheel, cruise control, 15" alloy wheels (unless you had a T5 engine in which case you got the Columba alloys as standard), ECC, Trip computer, front fogs

850 T-5R (later replaced by the 850R for 96MY)

An "850" only spec was later available was a very basic car indeed probably intended for taxi companies or the police but was available to the public as well.

There were also upgrade packages available such as

Performance package (For GLT models)
Load compensating suspension for estates
Lowered Chassis
Rear boot spoiler for saloon
Leather trim

Luxury package (For SE and GLT models)
Electric rear windows
Metallic Paint
Air con (which means you lost the sunroof)

Estate package (For estates and not available in conjunction with the performance package)

Load compensating suspension
Roof rails
Luggage net.

T5frankie
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:25
i have air con and electric sunroof and 4x electric windows in my glt

AndysR
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:46
i have air con and electric sunroof and 4x electric windows in my glt

Optional add ons ;)

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 17:51
I won`t tell you what mine is but it has a minibar with a choice of 3 different beers and lifetime stock supply by Guiness,Haneken and Stella )))))))))

heyes
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:28
Thanks for all your info. The reason I was asking I have just bought a 850 t5 with only 66k and the insurance have it as a GLE but log book says GLT. I'm not bothered really just enjoying the car but just wanted to clarify

AndysR
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:40
Thanks for all your info. The reason I was asking I have just bought a 850 t5 with only 66k and the insurance have it as a GLE but log book says GLT. I'm not bothered really just enjoying the car but just wanted to clarify

Might be worth checking exactly which one as, in the event of an accident, it may give the insurance company a reason to riggle out of a claim plus it could work out cheaper to insure depending on insurance groupings for the different trim levels ;)

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th November 2011, 18:48
Mine says 850s on v5,comes with 4x e/windows,leather,cruise control.I didn`t know they have an S models.

endo-t5
Sunday 27th November 2011, 20:02
Mine is a 96 glt t5 and has heated leather, front electric windows, air-con, sunroof, columbas ( no changed to 18's), roof rails, nivomats, cargo nets, sc800 with boot changer and 8 speakers,
So spec levels are what ever got thrown out of the parts bin. Lol

t5steve
Sunday 27th November 2011, 21:21

i had the same problem.......insurance company didn't list a GLT only GLE so i now own a GLE MODIFIED to a GLT work that one out.........didn't cost any extra though??????

T5frankie
Sunday 27th November 2011, 21:33
The GLE was the top specification 850 (excluding the R) with leather etc (similar in spec to the CD in the MY '97/'98 70 Series).

you can buy an 850 cd spec

GreenMachine
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:24
My GLT doesn't have a turbo! it's just 20V 170hp less now I suspect