PDA

View Full Version : What PLUGS? modded 850 t5

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 21:54
What plugs would you run in a higher boosting 850 t5?

Gap difference according to ngk is 0.7 standard or 0.8 for a t5r (higher boost)

But dont list 850r engine 5234t4

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_commercial_search.php?type=SPARK%2520PLUGS&manufact=VOLVO&model=850%2520SERIES&engine=2.3

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:02
PFR7B's mate... NGK Plantiums

tim15888
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:09
Yep them ones, the same as they put in the newer t5's. Same plug as standard but platinum version.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:13
Yep them ones, the same as they put in the newer t5's. Same plug as standard but platinum version.

But there not are they, click on the part number 0.7 gap standard, 0.8 (R)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:15
Volvo's own cant get better.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:20
Volvo's own cant get better.

Volvo dont make anything, They employe a Manufacturer for that.

Bosch in our case i belive.

LiamT4
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:26
I always have the platinums. Can't say if they are any better than standard or not though, i just like them. lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:33
Volvo dont make anything, They employe a Manufacturer for that.

Bosch in our case i belive.

I dont care who make's them, all im saying is buy oem volvo plugs and you will never have a problem with the loads your running. simples :)

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:43
I dont care who make's them, all im saying is buy oem volvo plugs and you will never have a problem with the loads your running. simples :)

But oem is Bosch? so what your saying is buy the Volvo PLUG made by Bosch and you wont have a problem.

But if you buy the Bosch plug MADE for Volvo, you may have a problem?

WOODY T5
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:48
only used NGK Plantiums PFR7B's never ad any probs mate.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:54
only used NGK Plantiums PFR7B's never ad any probs mate.

Thanks smithy, so the 0.8 gap Plug is the one i should be running not the 0.7 (standard) t5 plug.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 22:55
But oem is Bosch? so what your saying is buy the Volvo PLUG made by Bosch and you wont have a problem.

But if you buy the Bosch plug MADE for Volvo, you may have a problem?

No idea mate if they are the same then obviously no lol but ive never tried them just saying ive run 1.4 bar with no blow out and on standard volvo plugs(whatever they are) :)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:03
Like smithness says I too have only ever run the Platinums, they are expensive at around £8 a plug but they are worth every penny in my opinion.

AndysR
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:20
I run the plugs that Volvo supplied for my car when it was standard, always have done since it was standard, when it was rica'd and now with the custom map and 1.4 bar boost. I check the wear characteristics and checked the burn pattern on the plug when they were changed last year in the service, all was fine and I'd say if you were to clean off the carbon you could have passed them off a new. When I had the car rolling roaded in January the power graph was smoother than a sheet of glass without even a suggestion of a slight misfire or otherwise. For my mods there is nothing to suggest I should change from the standard Volvo supplied plugs so that's what I'll continue to use.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:22
Like smithness says I too have only ever run the Platinums, they are expensive at around £8 a plug but they are worth every penny in my opinion.

Thats interesting, because i've been reading (internet) pinch of salt, that the platniums last longer but do not conduct as well as Copper core plugs.

Since the NGK site, there Paper catalogue and Tecdoc which is what the aftermarket wholesale use to (x ref) Genuine part number's Now list the copper core alternative plug over the platnium one for the 850 r.

NGK BKR7E Volvo number 8670058

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:26
I run the plugs that Volvo supplied for my car when it was standard, always have done since it was standard, when it was rica'd and now with the custom map and 1.4 bar boost. I check the wear characteristics and checked the burn pattern on the plug when they were changed last year in the service, all was fine and I'd say if you were to clean off the carbon you could have passed them off a new. When I had the car rolling roaded in January the power graph was smoother than a sheet of glass without even a suggestion of a slight misfire or otherwise. For my mods there is nothing to suggest I should change from the standard Volvo supplied plugs so that's what I'll continue to use.

Platinum plugs are not servicible so i wouldnt advise cleaning them, But yes if you do clean them then yes you may be able to.

AndysR
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:31
Platinum plugs are not servicible so i wouldnt advise cleaning them, But yes if you do clean them then yes you may be able to.

I wasn't referring to platinum plugs I was referring to the standard type plugs that Volvo supplied and I was trying to point out that the used plugs were no difference in condition to a set of new plugs bar the carbon build up and that if you were to clean them then they'd look like new ;)

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:43
I wasn't referring to platinum plugs I was referring to the standard type plugs that Volvo supplied and I was trying to point out that the used plugs were no difference in condition to a set of new plugs bar the carbon build up and that if you were to clean them then they'd look like new ;)

I to was referring to the standard plugs thats Volvo supply which are PLATINUM in fact Bosch

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:07
I to was referring to the standard plugs thats Volvo supply which are PLATINUM in fact Bosch

Well that's me told! Just been to check and your absolutely right the plugs I have as supplied by Volvo are indeed platinum.... Oddly I've always considered them to be too cheap to be platinum and as result not really paid much attention to the type designation on the plug itself thinking because of the cost they were standard non precious metal type plugs, you learn something new everyday... :)

bigrotch
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:07
Andy I'd thought u would of known that Andy come on fella can't ya find the page yet with it in pmslmao

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:10
Oh and the B5234T4 (850R manual) engine uses the same plugs as the B5234T5 (850 T5 and 850R auto) engine

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:17
Quite correct, although cant work that one out seeing as one has a 16t and the other 15g.

If they can cope with greens and 1.4 bar I think they can cope with whites and a 16t at less than 1.0 bar ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:18
Only 2 plugs I'd use for hotter higher powered engines would both be NGK. First one - BKR7EVX or the Iridium 8s (which is what I use) running about 20/21 psi. Overall they have been pretty good. Betsy has only ever nibble a couple in the 5 years I been tuning her.

bigrotch
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:25
I've got ngk but I might aswell have b&q 3 pin plugs in it at the mo pmsl u gotta laugh

merc85
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:32
I've got ngk but I might aswell have b&q 3 pin plugs in it at the mo pmsl u gotta laugh

Dunno Rotch, I've been lookin at the burn pattern of my Bosch cough Volvo plugs and there sweet mate.

You wanna upgrade dude just cus u got a 16t lol and all that la la laaaa lmfao

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:42
Dunno Rotch, I've been lookin at the brun pattern of my Bosch cough Volvo plugs and there sweet mate.

You wanna upgrade dude just cus a got a 16t lol and all that la la laaaa lmfao

Funny.. I wonder what would happen if a Bosch plug that your business supplies subsequently fails.
What do Bosch cover under warranty as a result of that failure? Would any direct resultant parts and labour damage be covered?

Because if the Volvo branded Bosch plug fails the supplier.. Volvo ..will cover the cost of the replacement of that plug and and subsequent damage caused as a result of that failure parts and labour when carried out through a Volvo dealer. This isn't a fact that is broadly advertised but perhaps you may consider that when your making your next plug purchase or knocking those who prefer to buy manufacturer branded products because your paying "over the odds" for the same thing... or are we?

merc85
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:54
Funny.. I wonder what would happen if a Bosch plug that your business supplies subsequently fails.
What do Bosch cover under warranty as a result of that failure? Would any direct resultant parts and labour damage be covered?

Because if the Volvo branded Bosch plug fails the supplier.. Volvo ..will cover the cost of the replacement of that plug and and subsequent damage caused as a result of that failure parts and labour when carried out through a Volvo dealer. This isn't a fact that is broadly advertised but perhaps you may consider that when your making your next plug purchase or knocking those who prefer to buy manufacturer branded products because your paying "over the odds" for the same thing... or are we?

I do not supply Bosch, BUT Yes they should cover Liability/labour etc etc against there plug which is listed against said vehicle. i our case they do so yes you may be paying over the odds andy.

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:57
I do not supply Bosch, BUT Yes they should cover Liability/labour etc etc against there plug which is listed against said vehicle. i our case they do so yes you may be paying over the odds andy.

That's impressive, and unusual, but I have my doubts as to how long I'd be out of pocket for and whether I'd get full recompense hence why I go with the Volvo branded plugs for piece of mind, something you can't put a value on ;)

Out of interest how much do you supply the plugs for?

merc85
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 01:00
That's impressive, and unusual, but I have my doubts as to how long I'd be out of pocket for and whether I'd get full recompense hence why I go with the Volvo branded plugs for piece of mind, something you can't put a value on ;)

Out of interest how much do you supply the plugs for?

Not at all unusual as you would put it andy but a fact, No more out of pocket, or refund than using a re BRANDED product. Piece of mind is upto to the consumer. somthing only they can put a value on.

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 11:43

Thats very interesting to read Andy, appreciate it.

I never even considered plugs may be covered by some form of Liability cover.

On the overpriced plug front... I beg to differ, I can get a set of five genuine Volvo plugs for £20inc VAT, certainly not overpriced in my opinion.

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 19:00
Thats very interesting to read Andy, appreciate it.

I never even considered plugs may be covered by some form of Liability cover.

On the overpriced plug front... I beg to differ, I can get a set of five genuine Volvo plugs for £20inc VAT, certainly not overpriced in my opinion.

Indeed, and here is an example of an actual case...

I know of an engine that was replaced as a result of a balancer shaft drivebelt failing.
The belt cost £43.00 the engine it killed cost £12,000.00 :jaw:

Repairs were all covered under warranty and being as it was a main dealer supplied part that failed the repairs were conducted at a dealer and all replaced parts used were genuine, the car in question had covered over 100,000 miles was over 7 years old at the time and indeed was worth less at the time of the belt failure, it was a no quibble repair upon production of a receipt and represents what I mean when I say piece of mind.

Here's another little trick if you make a contribution to a warranty claim you get a warranty on the repair, even if it's £1.00 because you've paid your legally entitled ;)
You would get no warranty if you didn't contribute..