PDA

View Full Version : Which would you preffer?

The Flying Moose
Monday 21st November 2011, 01:56
Its amazing how all of a sudden after I buy a Red 850R saloon two pop up on pistonheads!

One I would describe as immaculate and completely standard, the other half the price and modified.

Now is it me in my ever picky ways or does the standard car look 100 times better than the other?

The modded car only has 92k miles and is only 1500 but the standard unfettled car 135k and 2900, yet still despite the price I wouldnt touch the modded car?

Is it just me?

Standard £2900

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/3405/3405359-8.jpg

Modded Car £1500

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/3420/3420139-4.jpg

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3405359.htm
http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3420139.htm

Both have somthing mine hasnt however... a manual box!

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n563/jaycroker2/volvomeet001.jpg

If I can get mine looking half as well as the first ill be very happy.

Shadow
Monday 21st November 2011, 03:35
i think the modified one looks wrong/worse because the wheel are black instead of anthracite

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 03:59
so you would pay twice the price for a car with less bits on? i don't think so lol

p fandango
Monday 21st November 2011, 07:28
the modded car has nothing on it that you wouldn't be fitting yourself. For the price of a new grill & wheel refurb in the correct colour it'll still be a good saving over the standard car. The pictures & shine on the standard car do make it look more appealing, but don't think the paint is that bad on the modified car just doesn't come across in the pics

endo-t5
Monday 21st November 2011, 09:53
the standard car ain't worth double as need's bit's doiing as no door check strap and wheels need refurb so I would buy the cheaper one and spend money on that as it already has the rica ecu that you would end up fitting plus could pay the insurance and do the bits that need or would like to be done for the extra money you would save.
tha moded one would polish up as good as the standard if done properely with machine polishing and using a polish, sealant, wax and spray and gloss actually would be much better plus has got history and lower mileage not that mileage makes much difference to a Volvo as mine has done 172000 miles and drives like half the mileage and better than most newer lesser cars with half the mileage

silverswedemachine
Monday 21st November 2011, 15:28
I'd get the modded one as well... Cant be as bad as my car when i bought it...

merc85
Monday 21st November 2011, 16:03
Thought about Both of these 2, and really do think you could get the 2nd one Looking just as good as the 1st.

And if i had the Doller i would certainly Buy the 2nd One.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2011, 16:09
By the modded one - cosmetics/ wheel colour/ grills & stuff can be altered later.

2nd one is only 1 remap off being standard. So long as it works well & the mileage checks out then put the extra into doing something proper with it.

Also the dark interior is IMHO much easier to clean & keep nice. Light colour is a nightmare.

p fandango
Monday 21st November 2011, 16:16
do think you could get the 2nd one Looking just as good as the 1st
with either a lot of time & effort, or a good mobile valeter i reckon you could

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:07
with either a lot of time & effort, or a good mobile valeter i reckon you could
I'd detail another red one

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:10
I'd detail another red one

you can do mine mate cos its on the turn in places of going pink

Jim S70R
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:44
The standard one is the better of the 2, have thought about that as a replacement for mine if it goes the wrong with the insurance company.

merc85
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:47
The standard one is the better of the 2, have thought about that as a replacement for mine if it goes the wrong with the insurance company.

Jim, Just think a Saffy and a RED 850R hell yeah, Looks like thats the way, i gotta get a Saffy to aswell as my RED 850 lol

On a serious note, I'm Your saffy will live mate, BUY it back and get the work done.

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:48
i'd prefer an 854r rather than my 855r estate

yoda
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:50
I really like the red one Lol Lol.

Jim S70R
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:50
Jim, Just think a Saffy and RED 850R hell yeah, Looks like thats the way, i gotta get a Saffy to aswell as my RED 850 lol

On a serious note, I'm Your saffy will live mate, BUY it back and get the work done.

I want my car sorted and fixed!! If it doesn't happen then I my change to a different one and swap all my parts over....

merc85
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:51
i'd prefer an 854r rather than my 855r estate

i prefer a Saloon over my estate to, But with four kidds i need the 7 Seats doh lol

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 18:53
i prefer a Saloon over my estate to, But with four kidds i need the 7 Seats doh lol

you need to buy an "R" mate, my saffy is a 7 seater and that will soon be too small as of next month for all my kids unless the missus don't come anywhere lol

donny
Monday 21st November 2011, 20:36
i think i would go for the modded 1 just because if it has anything wrong with it at least you still have a bit a money left over to make it a pritty nice car thats modded.

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 20:52
why is everyone assuming if you have £1500 then you must have £3000

yoda
Monday 21st November 2011, 21:06
I think the assumption is that you have £3000 to spend in the first place and could make a saving, but you could spend the £1500 and buy a proper pup and end up spending a lot more then £3000 in the short term. I think it's same buying any car look at as many as pos and buy wisely I think you have to look at which one has had the time and effort put into it.

p fandango
Monday 21st November 2011, 21:23
I think the assumption is that you have £3000 to spend in the first place and could make a saving, but you could spend the £1500 and buy a proper pup and end up spending a lot more then £3000 in the short term. I think it's same buying any car look at as many as pos and buy wisely I think you have to look at which one has had the time and effort put into it.
but you could end up spending the whole £3k on purchasing a car, then finding even that has issues

Volvostorm
Monday 21st November 2011, 21:36
I'd buy the £1500, and spend lots on it!...................... Oh! wait, I've already done that! :P

AndysR
Monday 21st November 2011, 22:14
Tbh the higher mileage standard car, from the pictures, looks to be the better looked after and if someone can be bothered to look after the exterior then I think it's fair to say the mechanicals stand to have been looked after better also. When I bought mine it was a low mileage standard car with a body which required "detailing" and even though the car was low mileage I still had a number of mechanical issues to resolve which cost a small fortune, indeed a testimony to the statement that "low mileage is not always better" but at the time I couldn't see past the figures on the mileometer and had to have it because it must be the better car.

Looking at those two I wouldn't be happy with either wheel finish so both cars, in my eyes, would need the wheels refurbishing the standard car has a light interior and knowing how difficult it is to keep the interior clean on a dark car I think it's safe to say that the interior in the standard car is very very clean and wouldn't take much to make it mint it even has it's correct original gearknob. It also has it's original stereo, it's tidier under the bonnet, although the chrome would have to go, and doesn't have a chav valve and a Jim'll fix it boost adjuster. The headlights and indicators are also cleaner/in presentable condition so there is more money saved. Call me mad but I'd look at the standard car with the look to buying if I was in the market, for me the other one isn't tidy enough and isn't correctly modified to warrant me looking at it.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 17:07
Tbh the higher mileage standard car, from the pictures, looks to be the better looked after and if someone can be bothered to look after the exterior then I think it's fair to say the mechanicals stand to have been looked after better also. When I bought mine it was a low mileage standard car with a body which required "detailing" and even though the car was low mileage I still had a number of mechanical issues to resolve which cost a small fortune, indeed a testimony to the statement that "low mileage is not always better" but at the time I couldn't see past the figures on the mileometer and had to have it because it must be the better car.

Looking at those two I wouldn't be happy with either wheel finish so both cars, in my eyes, would need the wheels refurbishing the standard car has a light interior and knowing how difficult it is to keep the interior clean on a dark car I think it's safe to say that the interior in the standard car is very very clean and wouldn't take much to make it mint it even has it's correct original gearknob. It also has it's original stereo, it's tidier under the bonnet, although the chrome would have to go, and doesn't have a chav valve and a Jim'll fix it boost adjuster. The headlights and indicators are also cleaner/in presentable condition so there is more money saved. Call me mad but I'd look at the standard car with the look to buying if I was in the market, for me the other one isn't tidy enough and isn't correctly modified to warrant me looking at it.

I think you have pretty much the exact same view as me on this Andy.

Unfortunately I am a bit blind at seeing past things so often miss the obvious.

However I suppose looking at the two its like flying first and second class, if you could afford first class you would!