PDA

View Full Version : Mbc with a Map or Not? 855 t5 Manual

merc85
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:19
I have always ran a MBC even when i 1st got my HLM map.

Because of various issues with Bigrotches car this wkend i thought i'd try and run my HLM map without the mbc fitted.

The car feels strange lol but very progressive.

1st three gear's Boost aprox 13psi and the last 2 at 16psi.

Car feels like you have to work the engine harder but for every rpm it seems to acelerate Smother and Controlled.

I Have compared the aceleration at ceratin points with and without the mbc, and she still seems about the same pace without the mbc fitted (perhaps less wheel spin)?

Any thoughts?

T5frankie
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:51
With an mbc it feels more aggressive and brings boost in earlier which I love lol, I'm driving a standard r and I'm wondering where all my boost has gone lol.

LiamT4
Sunday 20th November 2011, 21:05
With the mbc the boost will come in earlier and make it feel more aggressive.

I removed mine because of the auto box. The mbc made overtaking on the motorway very easy as the car would pull really well even in 4th(top) but the nature of the mbc meant that at low speeds it was too aggressive on kick down. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but i don't think it would be good for the car in the long run.

Jim S70R
Sunday 20th November 2011, 23:47
I would keep the mbc off the car!!! The map your running is not suited to an mbc, you'll want a custom map if your gonna run a higher boost level and fueling to match at a safe level the engine can live with.

Time and time again people have engine problems with mbc's fitted......such as bending rods on a cold night, why!!

Wouldn't bother with one myself....

The Flying Moose
Monday 21st November 2011, 01:02
Personally I have never had an issue running both, infact I have always run both on every T5 I have owned.

I actually buy the map just to remove the boost limiter most of the time so that I can crank the MBC up to around 18psi or 1.25 bar.

endo-t5
Monday 21st November 2011, 09:59
I love my mbc just need to get a map on it now so can run more boost and as long as you are sensible will have no problems.
if you have bypassed the standard boost controller and fitted mbc straight to turbo you can actually turn it down and run the 4 psi the actuator is set too if it's snowing to aid traction as will run less power or if the wife drives it as mine like it and comes home smiling when she has drove mine, waiting for the speeding fine's to come through the post.lol
ps not being sexiest before anybody jumps on the band wagon.

shrekblackR
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:58
yeah gav i took mine off and dont seem to be any diferent just smoother mate ,, also to prelong the box ,, dont need that going on me as well lol

T5frankie
Monday 21st November 2011, 13:08
yeah gav i took mine off and dont seem to be any diferent just smoother mate ,, also to prelong the box ,, dont need that going on me as well lol

Yeah well get it in the post mate lol

AndysR
Monday 21st November 2011, 23:06
Oh dear you've got me on a rant now.....

So yeah great you go get yourself an off the shelf map. It's designed to run circa 16-18 psi but hang it won't achieve that boost....
Sod it I know I'll buy a £25.00 mbc and wack the boost up to 20 ish psi because everyone else does... Oh what a great idea, oh hang on now my engines tapping perhaps I'll do an oil flush and engine oil change because I must have a sticking lifter.....err no you've ****ed your perfectly good engine because you decided to spend jack all and hope for **** loads...

If your car doesn't run the correct level of boost fix the problem don't cover it up with a £25.00 fix... if your going to adopt that idea you might as well get yourself one of those resistors from e-Bay which fool the car into thinking it's always cold... another great step forward in car tuning.......

MBC's are a cheap quick performance fix, if you pay cheap you pay twice. You could argue that your fine if you know what your doing but then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.

Rant over :)

bigrotch
Monday 21st November 2011, 23:16
Evening Andy how are u tonight lol

AndysR
Monday 21st November 2011, 23:18
Evening Andy how are u tonight lol

Much better now thanks... lol :)

bigrotch
Monday 21st November 2011, 23:21
Hehehehehehe

Ed.
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 13:44

So yeah great you go get yourself an off the shelf map. It's designed to run circa 16-18 psi but hang it won't achieve that boost....
Sod it I know I'll buy a £25.00 mbc and wack the boost up to 20 ish psi because everyone else does... Oh what a great idea, oh hang on now my engines tapping perhaps I'll do an oil flush and engine oil change because I must have a sticking lifter.....err no you've ****ed your perfectly good engine because you decided to spend jack all and hope for **** loads...

If your car doesn't run the correct level of boost fix the problem don't cover it up with a £25.00 fix... if your going to adopt that idea you might as well get yourself one of those resistors from e-Bay which fool the car into thinking it's always cold... another great step forward in car tuning.......

MBC's are a cheap quick performance fix, if you pay cheap you pay twice. You could argue that your fine if you know what your doing but then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.

:) I think both Andy and myself have proven you can have a quick car without an mbc ;)

Ed

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 14:33
:) I think both Andy and myself have proven you can have a quick car without an mbc ;)

Ed

i wouldn't put an mbc on an auto but on a manual they are the tits

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 15:03
then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.
i have to disagree, half the fun of modifying a car to me is getting it to drive/feel how you want. Over the years i've drove many many of other peoples cars with maps from various companies, & not one has ever got anywhere near as close to how aggressive an MBC is, & that is exactly how i want my car to feel. I'd rather lose a few ponies & have a car i enjoy driving than be able to say its ???bhp but boring

i agree on using it as a plaster to cover other faults tho, thats not good ;)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 16:55

A contradiction to my original post but cant argue with that...

AndysR
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 19:11

Ed

;)

i wouldn't put an mbc on an auto but on a manual they are the tits

Can't really comment on the differences it makes to an auto or a manual in the Volvo world but as I found them in my Ford days I was never fond of the crude way in which they operate. That said if you enjoy the way the car runs with one then it's your car etc etc...

i have to disagree, half the fun of modifying a car to me is getting it to drive/feel how you want. Over the years i've drove many many of other peoples cars with maps from various companies, & not one has ever got anywhere near as close to how aggressive an MBC is, & that is exactly how i want my car to feel. I'd rather lose a few ponies & have a car i enjoy driving than be able to say its ???bhp but boring

i agree on using it as a plaster to cover other faults tho, thats not good ;)

I 100% agree, indeed the whole idea of modifying a car is to personalise it to your tastes, however there's a whole lot more to modifying a car than an mbc, exhaust and an air filter.. That said as with Frankie it's your car and it's what you enjoy....

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 20:38
MBC's....what i found with them is they are very addictive i love the way the boost come's in so aggressively and is great fun for a quick blast :) however i dont think they make your car any quicker as it's too much too soon and in a fwd car that dont make a quick car unless it's over a distance of 1/8 mile from rolling on the motorway etc, EBC's however are a bit different ive not tried my new one for obvious reason's lol but if you can add in the % gain of the boost surley that has got to be better just look at Smithness' times this year.

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 20:48
my forge unos for my 850r is on it's way:D

LiamT4
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 20:52
It would have been nice to see how my car would have been with the apexi avcr that i had.
Mates got one in his skyline now and its made a big difference as his is the 2wd one so being able to run lower boost in 1st then abit more in 2nd and so on, really helps.
and now when its slippy, he just presses a button and it runs less boost.

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 20:58
he just presses a button and it runs less boost.
ah using the scrabble boost feature in reverse. I've wired mine to a WOT switch to work as a T-5R style overboost

i haven't been able to get an EBC as aggressive as an MBC (yet ;))

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 21:01
Arrrrrgh its a Drug pmsl,,,,,,, Put the MBC back on last nite lol

With the weaker Spring as it's winter. I think had my car had a Manual map it may have been different,

But i love the aggressive uptake. It's no faster i'm sure but for me i prefer the drive with the Mbc.

Doh

LiamT4
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 21:12
I did prefer it with the mbc, made the boost come in about 3-400rpm sooner and it was fun. Just too aggressive on kickdown and gave me f-all past 5k.
Maybe a better mbc would have been a bit more controlled while giving more higher up.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 21:21
I did prefer it with the mbc, made the boost come in about 3-400rpm sooner and it was fun. Just too aggressive on kickdown and gave me f-all past 5k.
Maybe a better mbc would have been a bit more controlled while giving more higher up.

Mines Manual, but with a Auto map, Using a Unos mbc and that is so stable compared to my cheap mbc i had.

WOODY T5
Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 23:14
MBC's....what i found with them is they are very addictive i love the way the boost come's in so aggressively and is great fun for a quick blast :) however i dont think they make your car any quicker as it's too much too soon and in a fwd car that dont make a quick car unless it's over a distance of 1/8 mile from rolling on the motorway etc, EBC's however are a bit different ive not tried my new one for obvious reason's lol but if you can add in the % gain of the boost surley that has got to be better just look at Smithness' times this year.yeah like jim says mbc`s are good come in with a bang then drop off did have one on my car come in at 1.3 then dropped off to 0.9 but then got a blitz dual boost con hold boost never drop any 4 setting good fun and can run up to 2.5barrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

but mbc is good fun for so little money and thats that

glock19
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:20
FYI I use the AVC-R to limit boost. The 19T can go haywire with boost spikes that goes above 20 psi before the MAF can react in time. With the alternate duty-cycle setting throughout the RPM range, this EBC should help those with big after market turbos. Too bad it's only based on RPM and does not a LOAD table.

merc85
Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 00:29
FYI I use the AVC-R to limit boost. The 19T can go haywire with boost spikes that goes above 20 psi before the MAF can react in time. With the alternate duty-cycle setting throughout the RPM range, this EBC should help those with big after market turbos. Too bad it's only based on RPM and does not a LOAD table.

yeah me to lmfao