PDA

View Full Version : changed thermostat today

bigrotch
Friday 18th November 2011, 13:08
well my 850 t5 takes ages to get to temp, well i drove 15miles and it still wasnt at nomanal temp so, today come to put new thermostat in and this is what i found!!!!! WTF ARE PEOPLE LIKE as you can see from the photos there is no stat just the top of one with rubber seal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigrotch
Friday 18th November 2011, 18:54
I'm still trying to think why the he'll would someone dismantle a thermostat and put the cap back in an that's it any ideas peeps, the new one is working fine

AndysR
Friday 18th November 2011, 18:58
I'm still trying to think why the he'll would someone dismantle a thermostat and put the cap back in an that's it any ideas peeps, the new one is working fine

Are you sure Merc hasn't been in there and removed part of the stat to save weight?

bigrotch
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:13
Hehe I was waiting for that from you andy lol

AndysR
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:14
Hehe I was waiting for that from you andy lol

Did you find that the poly top mount got in the way while you were changing it?

T5frankie
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:56
A cooler running engine has less chance of going bang or head gaskets going pop

bigrotch
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:58
So do u run no thermostat the frankie!

Shadow
Friday 18th November 2011, 21:10
maybe it was over heating and that was a quick fix but had to put the top back because of the rubber seal? then got lazy and could'nt be arse'd to fix it properly because it was running fine.

bigrotch
Friday 18th November 2011, 21:22
That's what I was thinking but it's running fine with stat in, strange I'll just have to keep an eye on it I think.....

GreenMachine
Friday 18th November 2011, 21:59
Could be a way of running it rich on the 5minute journey to work every morning

alt

What colour is the coolant? how clean is the header tank?

removing the center of the stat might increase the flow and could have removed a blockage if there had been an overheating prob before the stat had been taken apart,

could be worth doing a flush and refill to be on the safe side...certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to do

T5frankie
Saturday 19th November 2011, 08:42
the stat was probably stuck shut and he couldnt be bothered paying for one so just removed it, no biggie its better out in the summer and in for the winter mate

T5frankie
Saturday 19th November 2011, 08:43
So do u run no thermostat the frankie!

ive never had the housing off but it does take ages to warm up though, some people drill small holes through the middle so that they are never truly shut

AndysR
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:01
ive never had the housing off but it does take ages to warm up though, some people drill small holes through the middle so that they are never truly shut

You should replace your stat then Frankie, the last thing you want is excess bore washing ruining your newly fitted engine due to extended warm up periods.... On mine the temperature gauge starts moving up within about 5 mins of the engine running, to the point the climate starts to bring the interior fan on :)

T5frankie
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:04
You should replace your stat then Frankie, the last thing you want is excess bore washing ruining your newly fitted engine due to extended warm up periods.... On mine the temperature gauge starts moving up within about 5 mins of the engine running, to the point the climate starts to bring the interior fan on :)

car is coming off the road today mate, just put it on the list of work that need doing lol

AndysR
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:05
car is coming off the road today mate, just put it on the list of work that need doing lol

I know your pain... lol

T5frankie
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:08
I know your pain... lol

got to do springs, brakes, exhaust leak, emissions, stat, and anything else it may fail the mot on

bigrotch
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:55
Mine temp is spot on now don't take long to get to temp alot better thnk fk, just was a lil worrying when u see that sort of thing instantly u think overheating issues and someone has pulled a fastone, but all is good

volvo
Saturday 19th November 2011, 12:55
ready for some more er......booooooooooost!