PDA

View Full Version : ecu

yoda
Thursday 17th November 2011, 18:39
Hi i would like to upgrade my ecu possibly a rica? my car is an early 1993 model pretty standard t5 855 with air con no engine upgrades just lowered 50 mm and police spec breaks. I'd hope to pick something up second hand, is anyone out there in the know as to what spec ecu i would use. one more thing that may help is that the car has the old style on board diagnostic set up the one with flashing light code reading. Any help would be very much Appreciated.

claymore
Thursday 17th November 2011, 18:42
Give HLM in bromsgrove a ring, £150 exchange for a HLM 304 map, ohh and a manual boost controller :)

yoda
Thursday 17th November 2011, 18:51
Thanks for that will have a gander at that then
yoda.

glock19
Thursday 17th November 2011, 23:59
Skip the MBC first if you are going for a rechip. Alot of tuners are against this too as the ECU would not be able to limit boost when something goes wrong at the engine (knocking, broken hoses, etc). Once you are familiar with the new chip and its characteristics, you could consider the MBC or better EBC

M-R-P
Friday 18th November 2011, 00:04
As above, £150 is a good price for any map and you'll be impressed. MBC would give you more power but you don't want to remove the ECU's ability to protect the engine.

AndysR
Friday 18th November 2011, 00:05
As above, £150 is a good price for any map and you'll be impressed. MBC would give you more power but you don't want to remove the ECU's ability to protect the engine.

Agreed! Although I am not sure all the remap's/chips available still have overboost protection so something to look out for....

glock19
Friday 18th November 2011, 00:22
It won't be a total boost-cut but it's limit is high enough to cause problems. With the M4.3/4.4 with no boost feedback to the ECU, it's only the MAF which is monitoring the air-flow. Couple this with an MBC, an ill-treated engine could see it's demise very soon.

claymore
Friday 18th November 2011, 07:10
I havent had any problems using an mbc with a hlm 304. just keep the boost to about 18psi. I was using it to keep the boost down on my car.

yoda
Friday 18th November 2011, 16:17
That all sounds ok so you get the re-map and a boost control. But the advise is to keep the boost down around 18 P.S.I this will keep the engine safe then?

glock19
Monday 21st November 2011, 00:13
Agreed, at 18 psi or 1.2 bars, it's still ok for the engine and you'll only be getting this pass 3500 rpm (I hope). This is the main difference between a PWM controlled signal (like those going to the BCS/TCV or an EBC, like the AVC-R) and a bleed valve or MBC. So adjust the MBC at higher gears (fourth or fifth) to get that 1.2 bar, not the lower ones because you don't want the boost coming too strong at the lower revs later.

Well HLM should know what to do unless you are getting the parts through post.