PDA

View Full Version : Correct tyre specs?

Nick0
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:19
My car has four different tyres fitted to it; what are the correct OEM tyres to fit to my S60R? - it has 18 inch Pegasus wheels.

Should I be looking at Pirelli P Zero (Rosso or Nero?) and should I be looking for 95Y (whatever that means?!)

Thanks in advance as always :B_thumb:

MattM
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:21
Get some Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, good tyres :)

Pauld
Thursday 17th November 2011, 21:25
This is something I have been pondering over recently.

95 is the load rating, and Y is the speed rating.

I have Pirelli at the moment but they will need changing in a few months

My short list is: -

Michelin PS3 £650
Vredestein ultra sessanata £400
Vredestein ultra cento £400
Falken A452 £380
Pirelli £650

The Michelin will give the greatest mileage, so could work out as the cheapest, and best (?) option.

Nick0
Thursday 17th November 2011, 21:46
I did know about the speed rating, does higher load rating mean it's intended for heavier cars?

Read a few reviews today which seem to put the PZero and Goodyear Eagle F1 at the top of the pile, along with Michelin Sport3 in one test.

For me personally fuel economy and noise are more important than handling. I had PZeros on the last two cars (both Saab Turbos) and was very happy with them.

Vredesteins are totally new to me they seem quite cheap by comparison what is the consensus no what they are like for fuel and noise?

Pauld
Thursday 17th November 2011, 21:51
I have had Vredestein and a few cars. Good tyres

Never run them for long enough to comment about their longevity.

The load rating does relate to the car weight and is specified by the manufacturer. If in doubt always go for a higher rating.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 21:53
I've said it before and others have agreed with me, Barum Bravuris2. Superb rubber made by Continental. All weather tyres, very quiet, 225 45 ZR17. I was under the belief that the ZR meant the speed rating (ZR being rated to 185 mph) the Y95 being extra heavy load rating.
Only based on what I've heared to be honest but I did hear it a few times ;)
HTH

AndysR
Thursday 17th November 2011, 21:54
I did know about the speed rating, does higher load rating mean it's intended for heavier cars?

Read a few reviews today which seem to put the PZero and Goodyear Eagle F1 at the top of the pile, along with Michelin Sport3 in one test.

For me personally fuel economy and noise are more important than handling. I had PZeros on the last two cars (both Saab Turbos) and was very happy with them.

Vredesteins are totally new to me they seem quite cheap by comparison what is the consensus no what they are like for fuel and noise?

Basically yes a higher load figure means the tyre can cope with greater loads due to increased strenght in the tyre casing. A car which weighs alot will require higher load rated tyres because of the weight exerted on the tyre but also a fast car will require higher load because of the stresses that are caused on a tyre when cornering hard to prevent the tyre sidewall from "folding" or "rolling" over...

Re. tyre manufacturers I have used both P-Zero's and Goodyear Eagles and given the choice between the two I'd choose the Eagles as the P-Zero's went out of shape and after having this happen I have learned that its not an uncommon problem to occur with the Pirelli's...

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:02
Here's a thought, The P2 V70 Weighs 1567 Kg (ish) with 4 passengers and luggage, it can weigh up to 2200 kg. now think stopping 2200kg from it's potential speed of 170mph (M56LK gearbox) would require really heavy duty tyres. Like in many safety princaples, it's not what you WILL do with it, it's what you COULD do with it.
Do you have a family??? better to have a stairgate than a box of plasters ;)

AndysR
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:04
Here's a thought, The P2 V70 Weighs 1567 Kg (ish) with 4 passengers and luggage, it can weigh up to 2200 kg. now think stopping 2200kg from it's potential speed of 170mph (M56LK gearbox) would require really heavy duty tyres. Like in many safety princaples, it's not what you WILL do with it, it's what you COULD do with it.

Probably a good idea to have both if it was me... As I'd need a few plasters after fitting or working a stairgate... lol

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:05
Yeah, they are like the most complicated model kit ever, especially when you have to use the extension bars etc...

Off topic (but sort of relevant)!

I think I made my point tho.

Nick0
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:07

Yep, good point Sir. What is the safest recommendation then?

AndysR
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:09

Buy the best you can afford...

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:12

Again Bravuris 2. Had a few close calls only felt the ABS kick-in a tiny bit and never lost any kind of control (I've hit the brakes HARD from 135mph, in semi damp conditions but don't tell Mrs. MRP). Fantastic value - probably why they get overlooked.

Nick0
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:40
Buy the best you can afford...
Hard to make an informed decision on this cos it's not as though you can try before you buy. PZeros are nice, sexy calendars, expensive. Ditto F1s and Michelins, and as with all things you pay for a brand's advertising (and R&D).

Sounds like the Vredesteins (are they German?) are highly regarded here and on T5D5 although this is subjective it is as good as you can get without scientific tests/evaluations. Even then you get into the whole 'who sponsored that tyre test' debate!

So spending the most you can doesn't necessarily guarantee the best tyre, although admittedly you are probably guaranteed something very very good at least. I had started looking at costs of a set of Pzeros but then thought I should ask!

Yours talking himself in circles and rapidly becoming a tyre nerd.

I'll get me coat!:nut:

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:49
Nick, If you're anywhere near me, I'll happily take you out and show you just how good the Barums are. ;)

Nick0
Thursday 17th November 2011, 22:57
Nick, If you're anywhere near me, I'll happily take you out and show you just how good the Barums are. ;)

very kind of you Sir, alas I am in south west London. I will read more about the Barums and Vreds!

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 23:01
Will you be at the Ace Cafe meet on the 27th?
We get to Walthamstow alot too ;)
For price V quality the Barums are superb, Happygilmore (pretty sure that's who else used them) will agree.

AndysR
Thursday 17th November 2011, 23:16
Hard to make an informed decision on this cos it's not as though you can try before you buy. PZeros are nice, sexy calendars, expensive. Ditto F1s and Michelins, and as with all things you pay for a brand's advertising (and R&D).

Sounds like the Vredesteins (are they German?) are highly regarded here and on T5D5 although this is subjective it is as good as you can get without scientific tests/evaluations. Even then you get into the whole 'who sponsored that tyre test' debate!

So spending the most you can doesn't necessarily guarantee the best tyre, although admittedly you are probably guaranteed something very very good at least. I had started looking at costs of a set of Pzeros but then thought I should ask!

Yours talking himself in circles and rapidly becoming a tyre nerd.

I'll get me coat!:nut:

Very true, I am always very nervous about changing tyre brands for exactly the reasons you highlight. That said out of your list the things I have heard most about is the Vredestein and they're cheaper than some of the others but I'd still be looking at the Michelins..

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 23:25
That's exactly what this forum is all about. Help and informed opinions. I'm happy to offer "try before you buy", perhaps there are some others who could offer a drive with Michelins or Verds? Nick, you're obviously interested in the best combination of handling, safety, road noise and Longevity. I hope you find the right set for you're needs. Like I said, you're welcome in my big lump of a car for a test drive.

volvokid
Friday 18th November 2011, 03:42
Nick i will tell you exactly whats on my car later today (my memory is bad so need to look lol). its had the same brand of pzeros tyers since new. I have 9 worn pzeros from the car and as Andy says the wear is uneaven but im no tyer expert and havnt looked at much tyers before. When i renew mine im going to consider vreds they get good reviews as said.

LeeT5
Friday 18th November 2011, 08:10
I have had P Zeros on my old R and yes they did go out of shape and they are bloody expensive!

I also had Vreds Ultracs and they were excellent. No tyre noise and excellent handling. Good price too. Tread pattern was sexy as hell too.

On my current car i had Vred sessantas fitted all round when i first got her and they are excellent. Still got 5mm + of tread and they were fitted 18 months ago!

Only thing to remember with Vredestein Sessanta tyres is you MUST inflate the them by an extra 4psi over whatever the manufacturer states. ie..on my R the tyres should be 36 psi all round (as per hand book and car sticker). So i run them at 39psi. Any Vredestein main stockist should tell you that. He did explain it to me but its to do with the tyres construction. The Sessanta is a High Performance tyre and therefore is expected to be fitted to a car that goes round corners fast! So Vredestein contructed the tyres shape in such a way that its stronger on the outside edge, (Difficult to explain on here). A brand new tyre (any brand) will stand up straight on flat level ground, a Sessanta won't, due to its construction! The additional 4psi is to allow for this and prevents the tyre scrubbing on the outside edge. They are a directional tyre and must only be fitted the correct way. If fitted the wrong way they will seriously affect the cars handling.

As always, a FULL 4 wheel alighnment is a must when you have new tyres.

Nick0
Friday 18th November 2011, 09:48
Thanks for all your comments guys. Vreds and Barums will get a oggling! Not sure about getting to Walthamstow or the Ace Cafe, missus, nippers and the ****ing North Circular A406 will all undoubtedly conspire to frustrate me. I'll meet you boys one of these days though for sure.

Nick0
Friday 18th November 2011, 09:58
I have had P Zeros on my old R and yes they did go out of shape and they are bloody expensive!

Thanks Lee - were the PZeros 95 load rating?

Would I need to take my S60R to a my main dealer (who in spite of never having seen a S60R before have been quite good) for 4 wheel alignment?

What should I bank on the alignment costing?

M-R-P
Friday 18th November 2011, 10:03
Protyre are good (main stealer don't usually have alignment kit) If you go the protyre website, there's a £5 off voucher. Mine cost £26 to have the front sorted. If they don't need to adjust anything, they don't charge.

Jimmie
Friday 18th November 2011, 11:09

Im confused by this statement.Surely if that was the case you would have to get the tracking done all the time as your tyres were wearing down.
Were did you get this info from because as far as i know the system that volvo use now does not wind up like the old one did.

Pauld
Friday 18th November 2011, 11:27
As LeeT5 says, it is recommended to have a 4 wheel alignment when fitting new tyres.

If you have invested upwards of £400.00 on new tyres it is beneficial to have the tracking done at the same time. This will ensure that the wheels are pointing as the manufacturer designed and will increase the longevity of the tyres.

It does no harm to have the tracking checked on a regular basis, as well as when new tyres are fitted.

The best equipment for tracking is made by Hunter, if you have a local company with this equipment go to them, even if there is a slight premium to pay.

Jimmie
Friday 18th November 2011, 11:37
Well all i can say is that Volvo should be informed as well as the tyre fitting companies about this!

Nick0
Friday 18th November 2011, 11:47
This is for four wheel drive models Jimmie - personally I would want to get this done.

Jimmie
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:02
Yes i knew it was for that models and its your personal choice to get it done.
But why get something done that is not needed,all you are doing is wasting money just like buy one get one free offers a lot of the time.
More profit for the companies.lol

Pauld
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:03
Every tyre fitter I have used, I have never used a main dealer for tyres, have always recommended checking the alignment.

Most do not charge for this unless adjustments are needed.

This is for both 2 and 4 wheel drive cars.

volvokid
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:20
I just got my wheel alignment done when it was into volvo. Heres my problem im putting my dads 17" pegs on the car for winter, i just rang volvo up and they said there is no need to do it again.

M-R-P
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:44
Once everything points the right way, provided you don't hit a kerb or a big pothole, there's no need to worry. Just best to check the tracking when fitting new rubber, to make sure you don't wear it out unevenly/prematurely.

Nick0
Friday 18th November 2011, 15:32
Once everything points the right way, provided you don't hit a kerb or a big pothole, there's no need to worry.

True! Two hopes of not hitting a kerb or pothole, Bob, and No !

LeeT5
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:02
Im confused by this statement.Surely if that was the case you would have to get the tracking done all the time as your tyres were wearing down.
Were did you get this info from because as far as i know the system that volvo use now does not wind up like the old one did.

No, as a driver it is your responsibility to check your tyre pressures are correct. This has a major affect on tyre wear. Ultimately, if your alignment is not correct or within spec then your tyres WILL suffer. Other things that affect tyre longevity are making sure your shock absorbers are not worn, Suspension bushes have no play. Things that are out of your control are road surface, weather but if you drive like a lunatic and hank your car round corners then this will also decrease tyre life!
Have your wheel alignment checked every 12000 miles or when ever you have new tyres fitted is not uncommon and i would say an absolute must. You don't have to hit potholes and kerbs to knock out your wheel alignment!
This info is from my 21 years driving experience, take it or leave it. Your tyres will last longer if you consider the above facts.

Well all i can say is that Volvo should be informed as well as the tyre fitting companies about this!

Informed about what exactly?? They ALL know that alignment is key and will always be recommended when having new tyres or after so many miles.

Yes i knew it was for that models and its your personal choice to get it done.
But why get something done that is not needed,all you are doing is wasting money just like buy one get one free offers a lot of the time.
More profit for the companies.lol

Unless you have your wheel alignment checked then you will never know if its within spec or not, will you!?

I highly recommend HUNTER alignment centers as they are the best on the market and the most accurate. Try to avoid Kwik fit type places as its wholly inaccurate and most of the guys using them haven't a clue what their doing.

LeeT5
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:03
I just got my wheel alignment done when it was into volvo. Heres my problem im putting my dads 17" pegs on the car for winter, i just rang volvo up and they said there is no need to do it again.

They are correct:B_thumb:. Tyre/wheel size will not affect the alignment.

AndysR
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:04
They are correct:B_thumb:. Tyre/wheel size will not affect the alignment.

3rd'd

Jimmie
Friday 18th November 2011, 19:22
Lee i never said never get your tracking checked just that you dont need to do it everytime you change your tyres.Can you imagine the amount of queueing at the tyre fitting centres if drivers had this done everytime,you never get your tyres fitted.
I note you said that you have 21 yrs driving experience which would make you still a youngster.:)

LeeT5
Friday 18th November 2011, 20:09
Lee i never said never get your tracking checked just that you dont need to do it everytime you change your tyres.Can you imagine the amount of queueing at the tyre fitting centres if drivers had this done everytime,you never get your tyres fitted.
I note you said that you have 21 yrs driving experience which would make you still a youngster.:)

Youngster i may well be, but if you don't have your wheel alignment checked/adjusted when you have new tyres then your a mug! Why on earth would you want to spend lots of money having new tyres fitted only to have them being scrubbed the moment you drive off into the sunset just because you didn't get your alignment checked?? If you must adopt that practise then you will be in a minority group.
It is a fact that if your tyres are to be expected to last a long time then the wheel alignment must be a key factor. Anyone that says otherwise is also a fool and wrong. If you wanna prove me wrong then go ahead but i know i am right on this one. I will always have my wheel alignment checked and adjusted as necessary when having one, two or four tyres fitted!

Doing the job i do, i see peoples cars with tyres scrubbed and worn daily and the reason for the excessive tyre wear is becasue they can't be asked or are naive to the fact that they need to check wheel alignment. Not to mention basic servicing and maintenance. For a large majority of people, even checking their tyre pressures is non existant!! :doh:

Jimmie
Friday 18th November 2011, 20:18
Lee i aint no mug nor am i foolish,but i know that a lot of people think that there motors will run for ever for no expense.
If my motors need anything they get it regardless.

Erik The Viking
Friday 18th November 2011, 21:44
Hi Nick,

i was in the market for the P rosso's - thats what everyone recommended when I rang round.

I,ve just had Continental Sp 235 40's (reinforced side wall) and tracking on my S60 T5 In my humble opinion - tracking is a must - and with new rubber bands it feels like a new car !
Not too much road noise - sticks like the prevebial to a blanket wet or dry.

Got them from National in the end, tried blackcircles.com but they forgot to put them on the van !

Hope my 2p's worth helps.

pwcov
Saturday 19th November 2011, 04:25
Nick
OEM is the rosso . and if you want your AWD and all that goes with it to work as intended you want to stay with them.

Why did you buy a S60r with odd tyres.

Pete .

LeeT5
Saturday 19th November 2011, 08:23
Thanks Lee - were the PZeros 95 load rating?

Would I need to take my S60R to a my main dealer (who in spite of never having seen a S60R before have been quite good) for 4 wheel alignment?

What should I bank on the alignment costing?

Wheel alignment checks are normally free, however, bear in mind that if you get it done on a Hunter machine then you will ultimately pay something because your alignment won't be right. The place i go to is 'ELITE' in Rainham, Essex. They charge nothing for checking and £55 for adjustments.
It can check Toe in/out, camber, thrust angles, Caster angles, SAI.
When your car leaves it will be straighter than when it left the factory!!

I can't remember if PZeros were 95 load rating. It will be the standard load rating for the size of tyre you fit, thou i would say to make sure you ask for 'Extra Load' tyres. They cost pence more than one thats not but have a stronger side wall construction. They are meant for cars that have loaded boots etc or vehicles that carry excess weight.

LeeT5
Saturday 19th November 2011, 08:41
Lee i aint no mug nor am i foolish,but i know that a lot of people think that there motors will run for ever for no expense.
If my motors need anything they get it regardless.

...Never said you was a mug. So if your not a fool or a mug then why say this, and i quote..

"But why get something done that is not needed,all you are doing is wasting money...."

I think everyone here is in agreement that you should ALWAYS have your wheel alignment checked and adjusted when fitting new tyres. My point is this...Unless you have it checked then YOU can't possibly know if your alignment is correct! :wallbash: Surely you can see that? Therefore, if you don't get it done then it is fair to say that your new tyres will most probably be prematurely worn due to incorrect wheel alignment.

So, as i said, if you don't have your wheel alignment checked and adjusted when having new tyres then i'm afraid to say that you are a mug and a fool but still a really nice bloke! :) That is my point.

Pauld
Saturday 19th November 2011, 10:21
Nick
OEM is the rosso . and if you want your AWD and all that goes with it to work as intended you want to stay with them.

Pete .

I cannot see how changing from OEM will have any effect on the AWD and all that goes with it.

I suspect that Volvo also have different OEM tyres fitted during manufacturer depending on availability.

pwcov
Saturday 19th November 2011, 13:45
Paul
the electronics involved with the S60r must have a base level to work from which I assumme must be something like the slip coifficent of the tyres. As this system checks all inputs against this base I think I will fit the OEM when the time comes.

As an aside has anyone with rosso's fitted had any problems?

Pete.

Pauld
Saturday 19th November 2011, 14:15
Doubtful, how would the car deal with inclement weather conditions, that would have a huge effect of the slip coefficient of the tyres?

And, most premium tyres must have a very similar coefficient, or changing tyres could have an interesting effect on handling. We know that to be true if you have ever purchased some of these new chinese makes around that make the car feel as if it is on ice all the time.

I have rosso's fitted to my V70r and do not have a problem with them, but with 3mm left they will be changed soon, to Vredesteins.

The £200+ i save will go towards the alignment check and the rest will stay in my pocket

volvokid
Saturday 19th November 2011, 14:16
I havnt had problems yet pete

Nick0
Saturday 19th November 2011, 17:21
Nick

Thanks Pete I had heard that PZero Rosso was OEM (do you know what rating - 95?).

Not being pious but OEM is as much to do with deals between manufacturers and tyre makers as it is with spec. I don't suppose that Volvo or Haldex when they were at the drawing board designed anything around a certain tyre, they would have been an afterthought. Also tyre design and development is constantly progressing - what was the best in 2006 may not necessarily be now.

I bought the car because it was low mileage, all the extras, good condition, FVSH and a good price, I wasn't going to walk away from the car because of it's tyres. In fact the tyres are pretty good (all have lots of tread); one is a P7 Seal Inside which in itself is a £250 tyre, 2 others are Avon ZZs and one is some happy shopper brand. I won't know how much effect they have on the car until I have new ones on it to compare. It does fly around roundabouts and I do feel confident in it. I need to get the alloys repainted so will probably do they tyres then.

STEVO RRR
Saturday 19th November 2011, 21:11
I have VREDS ULTRAC SESSANTA`s on my R.Deffo softer than my previous tyres but they are very grippy,good-looking treads.No idea on the longevity of them but I would recommend them.

I believe they are Dutch-made

Steve

LeeT5
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:07
I cannot see how changing from OEM will have any effect on the AWD and all that goes with it.

I suspect that Volvo also have different OEM tyres fitted during manufacturer depending on availability.

No such thing as an OEM tyre. Its just what the car was tested in when it left production and so the Dealer have a deal with tyre manufacturer to supply and fit that make and model tyre. At the end of the day you can fit what you want. Just make sure the same make and model tyre is on all four corners otherwise you will get tracking issues and some tyres cause drag more than others.

LeeT5
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:09
Paul
the electronics involved with the S60r must have a base level to work from which I assumme must be something like the slip coifficent of the tyres. As this system checks all inputs against this base I think I will fit the OEM when the time comes.

Pete.

If that were true then all you need to do is have the SUM recalibrated after each new batch of tyres.

LeeT5
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:15
Paul

Pete.

You need to read up on how TRACS works. Doesn't matter about slip coef' of tyres, its works by the ABS sensor detecting one or more wheels rotating at different speeds and applying the brakes on the spinning wheel to reduce torque and therefore gain traction. If your tyres don't loose traction then nothing will happen. So, fit whatever tyre your comfortable with...Rosso's or not.

Pauld
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:23
No such thing as an OEM tyre. Its just what the car was tested in when it left production and so the Dealer have a deal with tyre manufacturer to supply and fit that make and model tyre. At the end of the day you can fit what you want. Just make sure the same make and model tyre is on all four corners otherwise you will get tracking issues and some tyres cause drag more than others.

I was being polite!

LeeT5
Sunday 20th November 2011, 20:26
I was being polite!

...So was i..:wink: