PDA

View Full Version : I've just given my ol' engine a POWER BOOST!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2011, 16:20
Given that all my money now goes on the missus & household bills & gearboxes - I found a revelation & gave it a run...

Best thing is it only cost 25 quid plus postage.

http://www.ecotekplc.com/images/powerboostGrey1.jpg
http://www.ecotekplc.com/PowerBoost.htm

I ran through the cycle of running the green stuff through the actuator pressure hole (injecting for 2 mins at 2750 rpm followed by 3 minutes at idle) - which is sorta the ME7 equivalent of the boost vac tree - hence squirting the solution directly into the inlet manifold. I needed an assistant to hold the throttle open - so thanks to Mrs Wobbly for lending me her right foot. Just coz I is ingenious I used my fatmax clamp to hold down the aerosol valve during those 2 minutes...
http://www.impresstools.com/Product-Large/Stanley-0-83-002.jpg

Results wise I am reasonably impressed - the throttle response does seem somewhat sharper. If I had an endoscope perhaps I could view the piston crown via a spark plug hole? V-Power is supposed to have detergents in it anyway - so it is not possible to tell how badly coked the valves & crowns were.

I have no empircal data to speak off but the testing on the Ecotek site did seem comprehensive. Hopefully we will see once Betsy is back on the dyno.

Has anyone else used this or similar before?

Murphy
Thursday 17th November 2011, 16:28
Only redex in my montego 10+ years ago, it was awesome. There is a well regarded product in the states actually called Seafoam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_01iItS_T6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnEQkeivfSo

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2011, 16:44
There was no white smoke out of mine.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 16:54
Dave, perhaps I'm being a bit thick, it's been a long day. by actuator pressure hole, do you mean the output on the right hand side of the inlet mani?

t5 pete
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:06
A engine builds up tolerances as parts wear i carnt see how cleaning every thing that has worn into place makes any benafit i would think it would cause problems.
Ide be very care full dave messing with stuff like this

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:14
Dave, perhaps I'm being a bit thick, it's been a long day. by actuator pressure hole, do you mean the output on the right hand side of the inlet mani?
Yes - It's the boost/vac hole that runs to/from the turbo (used I believe to control the recirc valve), next to the big one that runs the vac pipe to the brake servo - on the nearside end of the inlet manifold.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:14
Surely, by definition, the "wear parts" wouldn't be coked-up and that's all this stuff is doing, removing the coke deposits (I prefer pepsi myself ;)) So no adverse affects should be seen on moving parts, only cleaning internal combustion surfaces?

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:15
Its the inlet manifold to actuator hole, next to the big one that runs the vac pipe to the brake servo - on the nearside end of the inlet manifold.

Aaaahh yep, got ya now! cheers mate.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:18
Surely, by definition, the "wear parts" wouldn't be coked-up and that's all this stuff is doing, removing the coke deposits (I prefer pepsi myself ;)) So no adverse affects should be seen on moving parts, only cleaning internal combustion surfaces?
I am hoping that it will have cleaned away the grot on the backs of the valves & top of the crowns.

Haizum74
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:02
Went late to bed last night after reading this, took a look at reviews etc and it all seems favourable with varying results. Might give this a go. Can you still put it through air intake after the MAF as it suggests another way for Turbos but its all wires and pipes to me lol

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th November 2011, 12:11
I used a hole that feeds the BOV - & squirted it directly into the manifold. I didn't want any damage done to the turbo.

Flatout Phil
Friday 18th November 2011, 13:02
This is a product that was tested recently by Which? Magazine - and their conclusion is that it does not give any discernable increase in performance at all. Reminds me of Redex - lots of impressive smoke...and that's about it.
In the 1950/60s you could buy a thing called a LuboCharger which enabled you to blast a shot of Redex in whilst you were driving. Again, I don't think it did anything useful.
Having stripped down heads of cars that have been given various off the shelf treatments, I have to say they looked as cacked up as those that hadn't - sadly :(

Still, if it feels good, do it!

Haizum74
Friday 18th November 2011, 13:27
I used a hole that feeds the BOV - & squirted it directly into the manifold. I didn't want any damage done to the turbo.

That may have been in swahili WD. My way round an engine is pretty much similar to a 16 year old lad finding his way round a lass.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th November 2011, 14:00
Nina hakika kwamba T4 itakuwa tofauti kabisa kwa injini ME7 T5.

Mimi kuondolewa bomba VDC-VAC kwamba kulisha Turbo (arrowed chini) - na kutumika mwingine urefu ndogo ya tube nyembamba kipenyo mpira kuungana hutolewa plastiki bomba kwa erosoli - kuulinda na kuhami mkanda.

I am certain that the T4 will be entirely different to the ME7 T5 engine.

I removed the vac pipe that feed the turbo (arrowed below) - and used another small length of narrow diameter rubber tube to connect the supplied plastic pipe to the aerosol - secured with insulating tape.

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 18th November 2011, 14:41
I went to all the trouble to translate that and you put it at the bottom no fair :)

I am sure that T4 will be completely different for ME7 T5 engine.

I removed that tube feeding VDC-Vac Turbo (arrowed below) - and another used a small length of rubber tube to connect the narrow diameter plastic pipe supplied with aerosols - secured with insulating tape.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th November 2011, 14:49
All hail Google translate! :P

Haizum74
Friday 18th November 2011, 16:36
Nina hakika kwamba T4 itakuwa tofauti kabisa kwa injini ME7 T5.

Mimi kuondolewa bomba VDC-VAC kwamba kulisha Turbo (arrowed chini) - na kutumika mwingine urefu ndogo ya tube nyembamba kipenyo mpira kuungana hutolewa plastiki bomba kwa erosoli - kuulinda na kuhami mkanda.

I am certain that the T4 will be entirely different to the ME7 T5 engine.

I removed the vac pipe that feed the turbo (arrowed below) - and used another small length of narrow diameter rubber tube to connect the supplied plastic pipe to the aerosol - secured with insulating tape.

Kuna kila mara moja bugger wajanja ha ha. Ok I got it now, cheers. I was on a call at work when I read 'arrowed chini'. Dont think the person on the end of the line appreciated me trying not to laugh down the phone.

M-R-P
Friday 18th November 2011, 17:03
LOL!! got no bloody thanks buttons again! D'oh