PDA

View Full Version : 2.75" intake pipe completed

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 01:21
Hi folks, for those who are interested here's the finished article. These can be made as before mentioned with, Red, Blue or Black silicon hoses. Jubilee clips are 100% marine quality stainless steel.
Can be made with or without the hole cut for the pre heater valve. ( my own personal intake pipe has no hole there. I use a catch tank).
The intake has a 6mm brass nipple for the BCS to attach to. The BCS use's 6mm inner diameter hoses.
This actual pipe is for Frobes2 (Scott) who wanted said pipe in black with the hole for the heater valve.

£79.99

As many can be made as required. However, at least 10 days from payment of 45 deposit, to good to go after the balance is paid. To get them like this takes alot more than you'd (or I did) think it would. Takes time.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0038.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0039.jpg

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 01:32
.....and I've got a red hosed 1 on my car, but couldn't be arsed to polish it. lol.

siamblue
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 01:51
Very nice ;)

leet5r
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 16:46
looks well m8 , any pics of them on the car tho bud

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 17:08
got a piccy of the pipe fitted to Scotts T5R. Fitted it for him today. Camera batteries snuffed it and just charging. Post the piccys in a bit when my camera recovers.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 17:12
I have 2 holes at the bottom - you have allowed for this?

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 17:40
I have 2 holes at the bottom - you have allowed for this?

yes mate. My phone batterys playing up. I'll call you in the morning mate.

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 17:46
ok, pictures of said pipes on the cars. Mine runs the standard air filter box (with a pipercross panel filter. And the other car runs an ITG filter with heatsheild (frobes2's car). I thought it best to show they will fit standard or modded filters.
Just not the best pictures. Mines grubby already. and as stated. when I made mine I couldn't be bothered to polish the weld out. Did scotts. Sure he'll pop along later to give a report on performance and quality of work etc. And...yes, snagged my finger on his car and the red blobs are my blood. No sweat, no tears, just a drip or 5 of blood. I'll live. lol.

My Car.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0051.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0045.jpg
Scott's
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0042.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1115intake0044.jpg

AndysR
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 21:29
Looks smart, will have to grab myself one of these in the new year :)

I'd have thought Scott would have wanted orange hoses to match his other ones..

Volvostorm
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 22:09
Looks smart mate

I'll have to post up the one for mine!

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 22:21
Sweeeet! If only I hadn't blown a small fortune on the big sweed already... ;)

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 22:53
Looks smart, will have to grab myself one of these in the new year :)

I'd have thought Scott would have wanted orange hoses to match his other ones..

lol. orange pipes = very hard to get for a sensible price. He wanted black to match his tyres. lol.

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 22:54
Sweeeet! If only I hadn't blown a small fortune on the big sweed already... ;)

only 2 payments mate. 1 @ £45 then the other of £34.99 at completion/postage. Nag for a christmas pressie! lol.

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 23:10
Tempting mate but we're really watching the pennys after all the work I did on the sweed recently.

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 23:15
looks good and nessacary,,,lol at some point soon,

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 23:19
Tempting mate but we're really watching the pennys after all the work I did on the sweed recently.

i know that feeling well!!!

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 23:20
And...to anyone who buys 1, if you can tell me what car it is on my keyring in the picture of Scotts car...you get a fiver off!! lol.

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 23:25
LOL, I think I know.... I'll let someone else ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2011, 00:11
Its not necessary but I am a bonnet magpie - SHINY SHINY SHINY!!

frobes2
Thursday 17th November 2011, 00:27
Unfortunately I didn't get the option of orange silicone hose but will be changing in the near future..

The quality of the pipe is better than I thought it was going to be and the welds are amazing ie. you can't see them, hoses and clips are all top quality and it looks awesome..

I'm one very happy customer.. I was about to buy an expensive one from the interweb but was looking at about £120 plus customs duty so for approx half price I've got one made out of the best materials and also made in the U.K.

I was going to take the car out this eve to test the noise, as I'm running a 15g with blanking plate and the BSR Optiflow air filter, but didn't so will re-post tomorrow with my findings..

I would highly recommend this upgrade..

Scott..

Ps. The key is Piroska's Renault 19 convertible key!!

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 00:46
Wrong Scotty. Its not Nelly the Renaults, if it was a Renault key my car wouldn't start. lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

As mentioned lots, Im very VERY fussy about how things are done and MUST be a VERY high standard. I treat others cars as I do mine.

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 00:48
LOL, I think I know.... I'll let someone else ;)

go on, give it your best shot martin! GO Go GO!

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 11:05
WOW!! wasn't expecting this...
I called Don from Kalmar Union to clear he's OK with me quoting him. Spoke to him and he's already seen said pipe of Frobes car. Don said he's impressed so thats me a happy bunny!

Chap in VOC asked 'is it worth it'.

Don's reply.....

Yes, certainly, replacing the original pipe down onto the turbo with its final intended throttle point will gain something in output.

Well made and good value.

Regards, Don.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 14:25
go on, give it your best shot martin! GO Go GO!

Think it's a cooper T51 formula 1 car circa 1950?

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 14:48
Think it's a cooper T51 formula 1 car circa 1950?

wrong. lol.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th November 2011, 15:31
Hmmmm, AC or a Bugatti then?

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 16:59
Hmmmm, AC or a Bugatti then?

no and no Martin. lol.

Ok, I'll give it...

Ferrari 1961 F156 Sharknose

Niles
Thursday 17th November 2011, 17:02
F156 Sharknose...
It was Ferrari's first rear-engined Formula One car and was notable for it's extremely light weight and consequently massive power-to-weight ratio. This gives it a considerable advantage over the Cooper Climax, but the light weight and skinny tyres mean that grip is hard to come by.

This is the car that Phil Hill and Wolfgang 'Taffy' von Trips drove in the 1961 Formula One championship. Phil Hill went on to win the championship but sadly Von Trips and fourteen spectators were killed when his car left the track at Monza during the Italian Grand Prix.

The bodywork was redesigned in 1963 losing the distinctive 'sharknose' but still scoring wins for John Surtees and Lorenzo Bandini. Then all of the cars were scrapped.

The only existing 156 is a replica built for Chris Rea.

Niles
Monday 28th November 2011, 12:45
nobody want one of these intake pipes? Wobbly daves is now in fabrication.

Jim S70R
Monday 28th November 2011, 12:48
I do want one but I need to get Christmas out the way first.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th November 2011, 12:55
I was just about to ask about that! Wonder if I hang it on the tree Ellen will notice?

M-R-P
Monday 28th November 2011, 13:25
I was just about to ask about that! Wonder if I hang it on the tree Ellen will notice?

Fill it with sweeties and hang it from the fireplace. "have you finished your sweets dear? - I'll just go put the tin in the recycling bin..."

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th November 2011, 14:57
Aaaarrgh!!

Richs70t5
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 20:21
I'm up for one of these if it will fit my 97 s70 t5?

Was looking at the snabb ones but it's quite pricey after shipping and I'd much prefer something already in the country.

With blue hoses preferably please if you have them.

Regards,
Rich

Niles
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 12:30
I'm up for one of these if it will fit my 97 s70 t5?

Was looking at the snabb ones but it's quite pricey after shipping and I'd much prefer something already in the country.

With blue hoses preferably please if you have them.

Regards,
Rich

hi rich. blues no problem. and yes it will fit your s70 T5. I'll pm you now.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 12:33
Aheem! :D

Niles
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 13:39
yours nearly done wobbles. The 8mm bottom vac hose tail is on its way, bit of a polish and done. I sent your dash bulbs, (sent 2 types, blue and black, 5 of each) got them yet?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 14:06
In Cloggieland this week so it will be nice to have the surprise when I return.

bigrotch
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 14:22
im interested after my clutch is done tho

pookie
Wednesday 30th November 2011, 23:00
I'll be looking at one in the New Year.

Salut!

Pookie

Niles
Monday 5th December 2011, 21:12
5 now done/doing......plenty more. roll up roll up (in the new year or before) lol.

adam280
Monday 5th December 2011, 22:25
Ill have one as soon as I get my turbo sorted

Niles
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 01:49
Ill have one as soon as I get my turbo sorted

ok mate. whats up with your turbo?

Richs70t5
Tuesday 6th December 2011, 01:53
This should be good :-)

adam280
Wednesday 7th December 2011, 20:37
Its siezed mate
ok mate. whats up with your turbo?

frobes2
Monday 19th December 2011, 00:36
Just to add, it's noisy as a £££££££.. (good thing) and it is definately more responsive...

I'm sure it is better because I have a Black Stone original (Rare) T-5R.. lol

Scott..

Richs70t5
Monday 19th December 2011, 04:34
Looking forward to mine arriving, should make a nice improvement over stock. :biggrin:

Niles
Monday 19th December 2011, 16:13
Looking forward to mine arriving, should make a nice improvement over stock. :biggrin:

posted and should be with you Wednesday mate.

bigrotch
Monday 19th December 2011, 17:04
New year mate I'm ordering one deffo

shrekblackR
Monday 19th December 2011, 18:36
Me to buddy

Niles
Monday 19th December 2011, 19:34

Jubilee clips not applied as they were in my car and it was sodding freezing.
Rich's S70 T5 Intake pipe.
Different from 850's but nothing major and easily accommodated. Not the best picture.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2005_0101brakes0054.jpg

Niles
Monday 19th December 2011, 19:35
wobblys c70 gt intake. different yet again. Bigger angled silicon hose and 2 vac feeds at the bottom. Again, easily accommodated.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2005_0101brakes0063.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Monday 19th December 2011, 22:26
Sadly damaged in transit - can you call me when you get a mo. One of the 8mm jobbies is now nearly touching the pipe with a reciprocal dint to match :'(

I think I can straighten it but need your advice.

bigrotch
Monday 19th December 2011, 22:46
Couriers allways spoil things ggggrrr

I want a T5
Monday 19th December 2011, 22:50
I'll be getting one of these in black Mr Niles as soon as I get back from Singapore!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 02:34
Well I was mightily disappointed about the damage in transit. However using a 2KW heat gun, an off cut of slightly smaller diameter pipe & a wooden mallet I managed to get it all back into shape. Plus I added a spring washer & an 10mm nut to ensure it doesnt move. Thankfully the 8mm nipple still threaded on afterwards.
Sadly I did not have 2 of the same nut. I feel a trip to B&Q coming on.

I am contemplating get it plated so that it matches everything else.

Before....

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 02:36
Afterwards...

So no harm done, but Niles, you might want to unscrew these things before sending them or use more sturdy packaging?

Niles
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 09:52
Afterwards...

So no harm done, but Niles, you might want to unscrew these things before sending them or use more sturdy packaging?

FFS!!!!!!! couriers have caused me soooooooo many problems!!!!!

I'm so sorry! Hope all is ok with it!! Next pipes will have to go mega boxed and packed. Do these tossers really need to throw things around?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 12:14
It would appear they just chuck parcels about for fun. No harm done - I am just pleased it is here.

Niles
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 15:41
It would appear they just chuck parcels about for fun. No harm done - I am just pleased it is here.

Thank you Mr Wobbles. Fitted it yet?

Niles
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 15:43
I'll be getting one of these in black Mr Niles as soon as I get back from Singapore!

And if your nice to me I'll come over and fit it for you. :partysmil

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 16:37
Thank you Mr Wobbles. Fitted it yet?
It is unlikely to get done before Friday.

Richs70t5
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 17:16
Mine arrived today, thanks Niles, Will fit it tomorrow and let you know how it goes :-)

http://i41.tinypic.com/m9ualk.jpg

Didn't realise you had put a photo of it up already, I seem to be a lucky one and have no damage.

Well packed in bubble wrap here :-)

AndysR
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 22:18
Just to add, it's noisy as a £££££££.. (good thing) and it is definately more responsive...

I'm sure it is better because I have a Black Stone original (Rare) T-5R.. lol

Scott..

Do you find the chatter from the turbo is increased with the intake pipe fitted or is it just when on boost you get an increased turbo spool up noise?

Niles
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 09:49
Do you find the chatter from the turbo is increased with the intake pipe fitted or is it just when on boost you get an increased turbo spool up noise?

yes and yes mate. mine doe's and so doe's scotts. nice growl etc

I want a T5
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 11:10
And if your nice to me I'll come over and fit it for you. :partysmil

That would be cool! Or I can come to you, whichever suits you sir!
I'll give you a call after the xmas panic has died down!

AndysR
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 23:26
yes and yes mate. mine doe's and so doe's scotts. nice growl etc

Excellent, 2012 will be the year for one then :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 10:16
Well for a start I made good progress with shining up the pipe using the rotary fixed in a vice & some blackfire fine aluminium metal polish - came up a treat.

A few minor challenges getting the OEM pipe off the MAF sensor - in the end I still had to undo that.

I was beavering away - well the first thing the PTC valve grommet split on me (perhaps I was a bit heavy handed) - spent hours trying to locate the superglue & when I did finally find it - that was empty so had to go to the late night superstore.

Finally got everything on the new pipework (2.5 hrs after starting).

There are 3 connections to re-establish. PTC Valve, BCS return & some other crank ventilation. Found the elbow that connects to the top of the PTC - but could I find the pipe it was connected to? Could I like ££££. Spent ages trying to get it together. Still haven't found it. It's like the pipe fairy has come down whilst I was in the shed & nicked it!!

And then to top it all - I noticed that the end of the PTC valve had disappeared - i.e. I need another one.

All in all an unmittigated disaster. So if anyone has a picture of where the pipework runs I would be much obliged (on an ME7 engine - can be S60/V70). It wasn't even like it was something I was expecting to loose. I noted the positions - but it took so long to get everything ready - I am nearly at my wits end. Can't even go back to stock.

Yeah well at least the pipe is shiny FFS.

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 10:29
Don't know how much help this would be...
Big pipe, as you know is for the PCV,
Next pipe runs round the front of the engine (Vac for brake master cylinder?
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0036.jpg
Smallest pipe is the blue from the front of the BCS.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0035.jpg
Think I got that right ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 10:33
Nope - the PTC is the valve on the bottom of the fresh air pipe - it has an elbow on top of it & an electrical connector.

THere are 3 pipes on that end - I need you to trace all. I got the BCS return - but I am unsure as to the other ones

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 10:45
Hmm. couldn't get a camera down there but this might help...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/2007-10-17_202929_volvo_PCV.gif

Oh, mine doesn't have the little hose connection on the PTC nipple.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 10:57
Well I have distinct 3 connections 2 on separate nipples - one from the BCS and then the PTC - which I may have got on the big nipple by mistake - so where does the 3rd one run. Pic above is not ME7

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 12:50
I don't feel so catastrophically stupid. The elbow for the PTC valve had fallen off the hard pipe - the end of which you cannot see without a mirror. so if you didn't know it was there you can see it from above - without the benefit of XRAY flaming specs!!

I have ordered a new PTC valve & hopefully nothing else will go wrong.

And I am supposed to have an engine build project?? Humph!

Niles
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 16:07
oh dear Dave. How did it just disappear?
PTC nipple ran away or was broken a while back?

All ok with the pipe other that the ptc valves snuffed it?

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 16:10
Sorry I couldn't be more help Dave, I was at work and got rumbled while googling lol
and had to go do some work!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2011, 16:24
oh dear Dave. How did it just disappear?
PTC nipple ran away or was broken a while back?

All ok with the pipe other that the ptc valves snuffed it?
The innerds of the valve were there when I started. But not at the end. Oh well - I didn't need the 50 quid anyway - DOH!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd December 2011, 23:40
Much to my relief when I got the new PTC valve it didn't look any different - so the new stuff is going back. And yes - after some heartache - I have finally got it fitted.

I have also cable tied the bloody non-sensor end of the PTC valve elbow to the breather pipe to prevent any future pipe fairy shananigans.

Just thought you'd like to see the pics after I polished the pipe up. 1st one is just with the top bit partially finished & the second after it was finally buffed.

Unfortunately due to the angle the pipe is not so visible. You can therefore argue that it is not worth doing?? Anyway if you want your's done prior to fitting - I am happy to oblige for a small fee plus postage.

Niles - FYI - the D cut for the PTC grommet in the ME7 pipe is the other way around - so for future fabrication you ought to cut it the way it is on the original ;). I had to turn the PTC the other way to accomodate the loom connection. You can have my old plastic pipe if you like. The dimensions BTW are spot on - so well done on that score.

Alls well that ends well - aka Wobbly is as Wobbly does.

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 00:13
Looks nice and shiny mate, and, regardless of weather or not it's visible, it's still shiny and that's important to bonnet magpies ;)

Richs70t5
Saturday 21st January 2012, 17:49
A bit late from when I said I would post but I fitted it today, weather has just been crap so I haven't had time to do much to the car recently. The fitting of the valve into the intake pipe wasn't too difficult and I found it wasn't as brittle as some had mentioned which was good.

Having fitted the 2.75" intake pipe it defiantly feels more lively lower down the revs and once the turbo gets up to speed it takes off very nicely, I can't say much for how different it sounds as I just had a full Ferrita fitted last month and with this pipe on it feels better again.

Thanks for making it up for me :-)

Here's some pics, you can kinda see it, I've also got some new silicone hose to reroute the tcv and a few other bits the finish off :-)

http://i43.tinypic.com/ezk58l.jpg
You can kinda see it down there, Need to keep an eye on the bolt from the top mount though as its pretty close, or just tinker some more :-)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2446vcn.jpg