PDA

View Full Version : Battery issues

Sean575
Monday 14th November 2011, 07:38
Took the car out for a photoshoot last week and left her lights and fogs on for not more than 7-10 minutes but with engine off. Couldn't start her after that.

The wife came with croc-leads and we jump started her but I only drove her home which took two minutes. Next day... dead as a nail.

A couple days later, I jump started her again and this time drover her around for 20-25 minutes and gave her a couple of hard bursts of power and speed in the middle. Turned her engine off and on right after okay but now (two days later) she's dead again.

No, the interior light is not left on by the way. I can't think of any other interior settings etc. that would cause a bleed of the charge so what does this mean?

Oh, and she turns over ever so slightly slower in the increasingly colder weather these mornings as well (but with no coughing). Perhaps one or two more "rer-rer-rers" if you know what I mean but they are (a little) slower than they were earlier this summer when it was warmer.

I'm happy to replace the battery but don't want to if unnecessary. Has anyone got advice about how to determine the problem?

Cheers!

claymore
Monday 14th November 2011, 08:03
Looks like new battery time, mine did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago.

Volvostorm
Monday 14th November 2011, 18:49
I would say new battery too, my daily driver was doing the same thing a few weeks ago, changed the battery, been ok since.

Try and get a good one too, some of the cheaper batteries don't last a year!

endo-t5
Monday 14th November 2011, 20:32
Have you tried charging battery with a charger for a few hours I had to take mine off and charge it when it was left for 4 months when I couldn't drive her

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 14th November 2011, 22:47
Aldi had some small battery chargers that are really good. £18 and they work well charged a deep charge battery in no time, with a metre so you can see it charging.

Yorkshiresxi
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 08:56
Modern batterys tend to just fail rather then become weak and weak....
sounds like new battery time now as even if you charge it sounds like when it becomes cold it will only fail again

wegal
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 10:17
Sounds like a dead or shorted plate in the battery. Will hold charge but not for long is a common symptom.

New battery time. They only last between 5 and 6 years anyway

Kiss4afrog
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 14:30
Most of the parts stores that sell batteries also test them. Why not have them test it for you just to make sure?

endo-t5
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 15:02
If having a battery tested it needs to be fully charged and don't forget car will charge a battery but not as good if it's been flatted as will need a boost of a battery charger that's what I do on any car before replacing a battery as it saves money if unsure

yorkshire R
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 15:11
your having the same problem as i did the other week,went to volvo got a new battery on and been fine since

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 15:51
your having the same problem as i did the other week,went to volvo got a new battery on and been fince since

And you need a good battery up there in the Frozen North :)

yorkshire R
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 16:01
up north where men are men and sheep are scared!!

cameron
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 19:26
LOL Quality.

Im having the same problem with mine at the minute, ive got it permanently hooked up to a battery charger cause without it the battery only lasts a couple of days with only the alarm on. I make sure i switch it on for a few hours every night when i get home or i'd have no alarm and the thieving toe rags round here are not to be trusted.

AndysR
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 22:36
Things to note..

1, If it's a battery which isn't a maintenence free one then the electrolite level can be adjusted by unscrewing caps on the top of the battery, if it's dropped below the lead plates then these plates can be warped and this will have a detrimental effect on the battery and will result in the need for a replacement battery.

2, It takes a good 10-15 mins of driving for an alternator in a good state of health to replenish the charge taken from the battery when starting an engine. If it's a poorly charged battery or an alternator not providing a healthy amount of charge or there is a high electrical load i.e the interior heater is on, the headlights are on, the heated rear screen is on then the time taken can triple or not even recover enough without use of an auxillary battery charger.

3, If there is a "key off" drain then this will absorb any charge the battery has whilst the car is "idle" and depending on the quantity drained can render a perfectly healthy battery useless within hours...