PDA

View Full Version : Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept (Four-C)

LeeT5
Saturday 12th November 2011, 20:18
Read and weep!!

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Four-C.pdf

;)

pwcov
Sunday 13th November 2011, 01:13
Thanks for that Lee. bring on the next bend.

Pete.

t5_monkey
Sunday 13th November 2011, 09:22
Looks complicated ! I think I prefer suspension like me - simple and manual :)

volvokid
Sunday 13th November 2011, 10:43
You stick to your polly bushing monkey :)

wegal
Monday 14th November 2011, 11:48
Its boring to read.. but I can confirm that it works quite well.

LeeT5
Monday 14th November 2011, 20:23
Its boring to read.. but I can confirm that it works quite well.

if you don't wanna know how your Four-c works, then don't bother to read it. For those of us that do....:deal:

wegal
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 10:23
I already know how it works Lee. There used to be a much better explanaition of it on the volvo website, not sure if its still there or not. The volvo one has moving pictures and funky graphics :-)

And I didnt know it was boring until I read it lol.

LeeT5
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 19:29
I already know how it works Lee. There used to be a much better explanaition of it on the volvo website, not sure if its still there or not. The volvo one has moving pictures and funky graphics :-)

And I didnt know it was boring until I read it lol.

When you say Volvo site, do u mean V.O.C? I would like to see that.

SomeBloke
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 19:44
I actually found it pretty interesting ;)

It's a shame there's no way to tune the settings via VADIS as mine's a bit hard in comfort mode but just right in sport. It is an XC70 though so maybe they've set it that way for a reason....

LeeT5
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 20:44
I actually found it pretty interesting ;)

It's a shame there's no way to tune the settings via VADIS as mine's a bit hard in comfort mode but just right in sport. It is an XC70 though so maybe they've set it that way for a reason....

Really? Shouldn't it be the otherway round? Mine is like being in a firm armchair on wheels in comfort...you hardly notice any bumps at all, almost like the car is floating slightly. In Sport you feel all the road and all the bumps but not obtrusive. Its like the suspension in my girlfriends 08 Golf Gti. Then in advanced its hard. Not comfy at all unless on a very smooth road, however it handles like on rails.

The latest update addressed the 'Crashyness' that most owners complained about. However, what i have found is that the latest software doesn't work aswell on worn shocks. If your car has done in the region of 100k then it's time for new shocks all round. Coupled with the latest SUM software and a recalibration and the R that should have been is totally transformed. WOW, were the words that came out my mouth when i left the dealer yesterday after a recalibration. The shocks were ALL replaced in June this year but i don't think they were calibrated. The latest sofware was uploaded in June also and that stopped all the knocking, mainly from the rears.

Now the car behaves as it should and is a real pleasure to drive!!

...And yes, you can tune the settings in VADIS. To date there have been 3 SUM updates, however i don't think they are compatible with the XC. Once the software is uploaded to the car you cannot go back. It is not reversible. I can say that the latest software update is perfect and a major improvement to the spine shattering software that was first loaded onto these cars in production in 2003/4.

Ensure your alignment specs are correct to as these have also been updated and altered.

SomeBloke
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 21:27
I think it's something to do with trying to control the massive unsprung weight of 215 - 65 - 16 tyres and wheels, the shocks have to be set pretty stiff to stop them flapping around.

I find that for motorway / A roads / low speeds the comfort setting is a bit on the hard side, I can feel the bumps and pot holes more than with the "passively" sprung XC I used to have (both cars were '07 models and bought from new). I think it could take a reduction of ~10% to the rates and be much more comfortable without causing handling issues.

Sport mode firms things up as I would expect and the ride is (even) harsher but the handling brilliant, just what I want.

It needs to be softer for motorways and then when I want to press on and the roads are wiggly I'll put it in sport. That would be perfect :)

Stealer checked all the settings and calibration 3 months after I got this car, as I'd complained about the difference even then, they said "there's no way to adjust the rates to make it softer. It's how it comes from the factory". I haven't looked into any new software recently though....

wegal
Thursday 17th November 2011, 11:13
When you say Volvo site, do u mean V.O.C? I would like to see that.

No its was on volvo cars website. Ther main stealers site.

Ill have a look and see if I can find it, it was a good explanation of the cars electronic systems.