PDA

View Full Version : Used rear wiper motor wanted

larryj
Friday 11th November 2011, 14:49
Does anybody know where I can get a rear wiper motor part no.9154525?
I have seen a couple at around the £100 mark, but I think that's a risky purchase for a used part. I may have a go at taking the thing apart, but the guy who looked at it says it is shorting somewhere and I half believe him. It blows fuses instantly on switching on, and the arm moves, so the motor is not fully seized.
Larry.

M-R-P
Friday 11th November 2011, 15:10
I have a similar problem. The wiper moves fine for a few weeks and jams. When you go to investigate it, you can hear a ping noise. Grab it and wiggle it and it finishes it's stroke and stops. Then works fine for a while. When I stripped it down (I wouldn't recommend it) I found that water had got into the mechanism and electrics, which isn't hard as the washer pipe goes through the middle, and caused it to blow a capacitor. Not much you can do unless you can find out What type of capacitor it is and replace it. You probably have something similar going on. Oh P1 cars don't have this problem and you cannot use a P1 unit in a P2, much to my annoyance.
My local scrappy sells them for about 29 quid but rarely have them in, and I got dibs on the next one ;)

larryj
Friday 11th November 2011, 16:40
Thanks, Martin.
I'm glad you mentioned stripping it down, as I was thinking of doing just that. I won't then. Just keep looking, I guess.
Larry.

volvo
Friday 11th November 2011, 18:57
hi

i think i may have a wiper motor off the 850 estate's.....is that what you are looking for?

volvo
Friday 11th November 2011, 18:58
can you PM me if it is, so i dont miss the post, very busy at the mo.....

cheers

larryj
Monday 14th November 2011, 00:31
Thanks, anyway, but the motor on the P2 is a different PN from earlier models, as far as I can make out.
Larry.

LeeT5
Friday 2nd December 2011, 00:05
I would strip out your motor. The common fault with the 850/V70 Classic was the seal would fail on the rear glass and water would cause the aluminium shaft to corrode and swell, inturn seizing the shaft and causing the fuse to blow. I have changed quite a few. Volvo can supply you the window seal kit for penny's. Once removed wire brush and sand paper the shaft until smooth and shiny. Then liberally lubricate with grease and refit using the new seal kit. Then stand back and marvell at your handy work and new perfectly operating wiper. You will also need a rear door trim kit as most of the trim panel clips will be brittle and break. Easy job.

larryj
Friday 2nd December 2011, 17:31
Thanks, Lee. In that case, I will have a go. I haven't really got anything to lose, except a couple of hours...
Larry.

larryj
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 18:33
I have had a very joyful experience today. After the so-called auto-electrician declared that there was an irreparable electrical fault with the motor, I decided to leave the motor till I felt up to stripping it down. I did so, and the insides were clean as a whistle. However, I cleaned round the bit that goes inside the brushes, and gave everything a clean with isoprop. With more hope than expectation I put it all back together--a bit fiddly for me!--and replaced it. Lo and behold, it's working. I will take great pleasure in explaining this to the auto-electrician who wrote it off...

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 19:58
YAY! good result :)
Nowt like putting the so-called experts in their place.