PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 22:42
I know where a very good 940 turbo is up for sale, i dont know anything about these things, but what i do know about this one is:

its manual
2.3 turbo with boost guage in the dash clock (guessing not an LPT model)
P reg
Got all electrics, leather seats
totally unmolested, 120k...

With that on board:

What (factory spec or 'as new') horsepower is it likely to be?? (educated guesses accepted), been on 2 sites and came back with either 190 or 165...

Whats the handling like compared to a STANDARD 850 T5 ??

And do they respond well to tuning?? If it was 190 bhp, how easy would it be wrangle say another 40bhp out of it??

Cheers

Mark

AndysR
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 22:48
I believe the boost gauge on the dash does indeed signify that is is a HPT model and in that case it is 165hp with 200 ibft of torque... 127 mph top speed and 9.3 seconds to 60 (121 mph top speed and 9.4 seconds for an auto).. Handling wise I don't think they're too bad but I doubt it would out handle an 850 as they're a little soft. That said there's a lot of potential in a 940 depending on your budget just ask Smithy on here ;)

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 23:00
Alittle disappointed in 165 bhp... Um, Im tryin to read smithy's thread but £££££e connection wont let me... Im getting frustrated with the FWD on my T5 and just wondered about something rear drive... Its a shame cos it would be cheap as well and its a very clean example...

t5_monkey
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 23:04
Alittle disappointed in 165 bhp... Um, Im tryin to read smithy's thread but £££££e connection wont let me... Im getting frustrated with the FWD on my T5 and just wondered about something rear drive... Its a shame cos it would be cheap as well and its a very clean example...

FWD depends a lot on tyre choice, dampers, bushes and strut brace etc....

Traction is a whole heap better on mine than it used to be due to these things... don't give up on FWD just yet :)

AndysR
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 23:06

Yeah unfortunately the later cars were bogged down with emission regs and cats. If you want 190bhp it's not unachieveable as the earlier red blocks in the 740/60's were running close to that (182 hp) and I have an autocar magazine review that clocked a 1985 765 estate doing a mid 7's to 60 so they can be quick even as standard.. I'll dig it out and post the figures in a bit...

M-R-P
Thursday 10th November 2011, 00:06
I think I've seen this car (or similar) for sale here. used to be quick but has been stripped of the quick bits. Ain't it rear drive? clutch flaired in 1st and 2nd until the mbc was removed? just going from memory (hazy at best)

smithy
Thursday 10th November 2011, 16:54

you can get these to be quick cars with a few cheap mods like mbc ,chips or 3in maf or put standard maf in bigger pipe ,exhaust or just back box and a panel filter and you can push 250 bhp out of weedy turbo or 15g/16t/18t it 280 and above no probs .

Murphy
Thursday 10th November 2011, 17:25
Im getting frustrated with the FWD on my T5 and just wondered about something rear drive... Its a shame cos it would be cheap as well and its a very clean example...

There are plenty of great RWD car's out there depending on what you want out of a car.

BMW is the obvious place to start.

40mpg and stunning midrange, like the T5, from the 330d and in sport guise they handle very well indeed http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201135413211776/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/transmission/manual/fuel-type/diesel/model/3_series/make/bmw/postcode/s72qa/keywords/2002/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

We had one at work a similar to this car with DMS map, green filter and miltek and it was just about as quick as my RICA304 854 T5 manual rolling from 40-120. And I can assure you my 854 was very spicy for a 15g car, quicker than my P1 V70R with RICA310 that followed!

OR

Staying with BMW the PETROL 530i manual, again excellent chassis poise and grip, 155mph car power more linear than the T5 losing you midrange, but saving your tyres. That said drifting becomes your new hobby!

Look at the price

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201144425352419/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/make/bmw/keywords/sport/radius/1500/postcode/s72qa/page/1?logcode=p

Just a though :D

Palmer
Sunday 27th November 2011, 21:38
I think I've seen this car (or similar) for sale here. used to be quick but has been stripped of the quick bits. Ain't it rear drive? clutch flaired in 1st and 2nd until the mbc was removed? just going from memory (hazy at best)

That was mine (well still is lol)

Handling: very boaty stock, i chucked some 40mm lowering springs on, world of difference it really is.

165bhp: Yes but for around 20 quid you can get that upto 180-190 with a mbc and boost guage.

And im presuming hes not on about mine as it was an LPT i.e no guage in the dials for boost +/-

But if your interested op take a wander into the sales section ;)