PDA

View Full Version : c70 warning.

t5 stealth
Monday 7th November 2011, 20:06
just thought id mention this as im doing an x reg c70 ragtop at work at the moment,a steering rack change,
reason for change is the welds have broken,
the welds that fits the mounting points to the rack have broken away (part of the rack)and thus leaving the rack floating about,
obviously if it gets bad then you would notice it on the steering,but once its broken it will stress the other end mounts,you dont want that breaking when your going down the motorway etc,
speaking to volvo about it it seems that the c70 has an issue with this happening,so the main point of this thread is purely for your safety,
if you check your rack out,
get it up on ramps etc (not wheels hanging)and get someone to gently rock the steering wheel,
if the mount welds have broken then you will see the n/s end of the rack where it bolts to the cross member moveing,
the rack moves but the mount stays bolted to the crossmember,obviously it shouldnt be moving.....
:eclipsee_

v70rade
Thursday 17th November 2011, 20:04
Well done for highlighting this - unfortunately it's not just C70 though - My V70 had a new rack for this at 97k and I know of others at about the 100k mark - Mine was originally miss diagnosed as worn inner track rods by an 'expert', but my main dealer finally traced it to the cracked bracket - not a cheap fix IIRC.

t5 stealth
Friday 18th November 2011, 18:22
Well done for highlighting this - unfortunately it's not just C70 though - My V70 had a new rack for this at 97k and I know of others at about the 100k mark - Mine was originally miss diagnosed as worn inner track rods by an 'expert', but my main dealer finally traced it to the cracked bracket - not a cheap fix IIRC.

i havnt heard or seen it on any other models,
this was just my findings on a c70..........
but hopefully its just an odd occurance

SteveRuss
Sunday 27th November 2011, 02:48
Good one for bringing this up. I've seen a couple in my local garage getting new racks. Not too expensive of a job either but it seems it's not uncommon..

Regards. SteveRuss

v70rade
Monday 26th March 2012, 17:59
Just to confirm that this is a genuine problem - Mine has gone again!

That's a genuine rack in under 43k miles!

Needless to say I shall be making some phone calls in the morning.