PDA

View Full Version : Just what is possible for my T5-R engine?

Sean575
Monday 7th November 2011, 16:33
Hi people,

I am interested to know what the options are for engine performance enhancement to my T5-R manual estate.

The car has 150k on the clock and she pulls and boosts lovely with her standard 240bhp.

I've heard about the remapping out there to around 300bhp and where the torque curve gets more fun. But...

Is there anything more nuts I can do though? I'm sure I've heard of 'boring-out' and oversize pistons being put into these cars for super so does anyone know where I can enquire about this sort of 'tampering' but with someone who knows what they are doing?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

dalhousie2008
Monday 7th November 2011, 16:36
Hi have a look in the previous posts, many many tuning threads

p fandango
Monday 7th November 2011, 16:47
firstly, you won't get 300bhp with just a remap. The main weakness on our engines is the con-rods, which bend if you run too much boost at low rpm's

M-R-P
Monday 7th November 2011, 17:02
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32789
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20693
I always find these threads interesting.
Get comfy when you read Pedro's one tho, it goes on for a bit!;)

mitchyboy01
Monday 7th November 2011, 18:54
Above 300whp it gets much more expensive. It all depends on how much money you want to throw at it and of course if you can do the work yourself it helps a lot.

Most people go 19t turbo, remap, injectors, down pipe and with a fair bit of boost 300whp is quite achievable, just get the mapper to limit boost before 3.5k so your rods stand a chance. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks, Mitch.

p fandango
Monday 7th November 2011, 18:58
Get comfy when you read Pedro's one tho, it goes on for a bit!;)
might be better having a look in my garage instead of the whole thread lol LINK (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1022)

Volvostorm
Monday 7th November 2011, 19:25
How much are you willing to spend?

I think my engine has cost around £4,000! :o

mitchyboy01
Monday 7th November 2011, 19:42
How much are you willing to spend?

I think my engine has cost around £4,000! :o

I know mate I got my t4 engine already built but cost previous guy Al over 3k to build. I've still spent almost 2k on other bits. Almost ready to put it all in. Hope it's all worth it or I'm likely to cry lol

t5_monkey
Monday 7th November 2011, 19:44
Depends on how rich you are!

That said.... you car would probably be a lot quicker around a circuit if you spent the money on a good polybushed coilover suspension set up.

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 14:21
Depends on how rich you are!

That said.... you car would probably be a lot quicker around a circuit if you spent the money on a good polybushed coilover suspension set up.

You and your polybushes, monkeyman!;)
He's right tho, getting to speed is one thing, keeping it round corners is another.

JezF
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 20:04
It's hard to overstate the difference decent suspension upgrades make to the 850 along with a suspension refresh. People tend to do power upgrades first but do think about suspension and brakes as well.

Sean575
Monday 14th November 2011, 07:26
Big thanks to all replies on this one from those who did. I enjoyed the threads and the variety of experiences. Certainly think I'll sort the springy stuff on each corner first and then reckon I'll go the 19t turbo, remap, injectors, down pipe way gradually for now. Be a shame to throw too much at her when I'm already eyeing up a second-gen XC70 D5 for those mountian trips I'm doing more of that the 850 hates due to clearance issues and
having only 2WD. Oh, and 17 MPG (LOL)