PDA

View Full Version : 2.75" intake pipe WIP

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 01:10
Tomorrow will see my master fabricator friend sort out 2 2.75" intake J pipes for me. Identical to snabbs but cheaper and the same quality.
Using a 90 degree 2.75" (70mm) elbow, a J pipe from polished alloy, nipple for vac pipe from the BCS, hole or no hole for the heater element. and a 70mm-60mm reducer to fit to the TD04's intake port. All held with Marine quality (lloyds shipping insurance approved) full stainless steel Jubilees.
I'm sorting 2 out, 1 for me, 1 for Scott (frobes 2), he wanted black silicon pipes and I've gone for red. J pipes made of 2 pipes pro welded and re-polished. A 1 part J pipe was nearly impossible to find for a reasonable price. I spoke to 5 different pipe fabricators asking to make me J pipes in 2.75" to be told 'no chance mate'. J pipe will be swaged both ends for a snug fit/hold.

I'll put piccys up of the components and the finished jobbie.
Anyone who may want one I'm happy to make as many as needed.

And......they do make a difference. worth the effort to me to go through the grief of sourcing the parts and sorting out Mr Fabricators time to weld them up for me!!
Checked snabbs site and delivered they are now appx £110 (and more if the VAT import tax man gets his slice). (£130+!!!)
These 1's will come in at £78.50 brand new, made to order and with your choice of red, black or blue silicon.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th November 2011, 01:16
Will he be able to make up ME7 variants?

nottsgreent5
Monday 7th November 2011, 09:46
I had a snabb off niles and can say its a good mod seems alot more responsive n sounds brill

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 10:07
Will he be able to make up ME7 variants?

yes mate but ill need an original pipe to take measurements from. Should be the same as an 850 one shouldn't it??

Jim S70R
Monday 7th November 2011, 12:41
Pre me7 70 cars I think have 2 outlets on compared to the 850 which has 1, I think its for the breathers?? Maybe intreseted in 1 after the pics come out.

Flatout Phil
Monday 7th November 2011, 13:16
So is it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_X-FIzJYY

What are the benefits apart from shininess?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th November 2011, 15:32
yes mate but ill need an original pipe to take measurements from. Should be the same as an 850 one shouldn't it??
They are slightly different - not in length but connection diameters & breather holes may vary. Look at the Snabb site & you'll see what I mean.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 16:55
So is it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_X-FIzJYY

What are the benefits apart from shininess?

yes, they are very much the same, i took the measurements from the snabb and the custom ones are identical.
I had the snabb 1 on my car and it spins up the turbo quicker, gives a very nice deep intake growl. Helps the engine breathe at high boost too.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 16:57
being welded this evening but had to leave early. Will be done tomorrow/Wednesday. Personally, I cant wait to get it fitted as my car seems to have lost a little response.
Im sure Frobes will pop in here to give a report as his intake is bog standard.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 17:00
They are slightly different - not in length but connection diameters & breather holes may vary. Look at the Snabb site & you'll see what I mean.

the maf and the turbo inlet are the same size as an 850 Dave, I popped to a mates who has an ME7 V70 T5, had a nose about and seems all the difference is that the ME7 has no vac feed at the top of the pipe like an 850 but have a vac feed near the PTC. Happy to make ME7 ones. Easy as all that'll need doing is fit the vac nipple in a different spot.

leet5r
Monday 7th November 2011, 17:27
any pics yet

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 17:57
any pics yet

only of the pipes before they're modded mate. Not that interesting but ill put them up if you want.

AndysR
Monday 7th November 2011, 20:16
Umm, very interested in this. Do you think you will have it fitted for Sunday?

Volvostorm
Monday 7th November 2011, 20:28
I've just had one made too! Still, I doubt it would have fitted mine.

Can't wait to see some pictures :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th November 2011, 22:37
Awesome, Niles - I was worried that I'd have to source one for you - but if you can get one made - I'd be up for that.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 22:41
Umm, very interested in this. Do you think you will have it fitted for Sunday?

I hope so Andy, all down to international postage on the silicon reducers and my welder mate. welding should be done by tomorrow and the vac nipples are at my workshop waiting.

I will put a few piccys up when the weldings done, then they will need a quick final polish on the weld, then a hole drilled to tap the nipple, then.......hoses on and Job jobbed!!!

I took a piccy of the raw ingredients today and will post the lot up when ready.
As I said, happy to make as many as you lot may want.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 22:43
Awesome, Niles - I was worried that I'd have to source one for you - but if you can get one made - I'd be up for that.

I can get 1 made for you dave. TBH its me who's 'making' them. Only bit thats being done elsewhere is the welding. I can weld but NOT alloy to the standard my mate can.

AndysR
Monday 7th November 2011, 22:43
I hope so Andy, all down to international postage on the silicon reducers and my welder mate. welding should be done by tomorrow and the vac nipples are at my workshop waiting.

I will put a few piccys up when the weldings done, then they will need a quick final polish on the weld, then a hole drilled to tap the nipple, then.......hoses on and Job jobbed!!!

I took a piccy of the raw ingredients today and will post the lot up when ready.
As I said, happy to make as many as you lot may want.

Look forward to seeing the end result :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th November 2011, 23:18
Just let me have some paypal details & I will get the money to you.

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 23:18
dull as hell really. haven't got the reducer pipes yet.
This picture equates to me saying I'm going to make a cake and here's the flour, eggs and sugar.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1107intake0001.jpg

AndysR
Monday 7th November 2011, 23:24
dull as hell really. haven't got the reducer pipes yet.
This picture equates to me saying I'm going to make a cake and here's the flour, eggs and sugar.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2011_1107intake0001.jpg

Definately a fruit cake.....

Niles
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 00:56
ME7 variant Sold to wobbley Dave.

Ideally I need to get at least 2 made at a time. anyone else?

ME7 or Pre ME7.

claymore
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 07:06
I've just had one made too! Still, I doubt it would have fitted mine.

Can't wait to see some pictures :)
Mine is all made in 82mm including the maf housing

leet5r
Monday 14th November 2011, 22:16
any pics on the car m8

Niles
Monday 14th November 2011, 23:10
piccys of completed intake pipes will be posted up here tomorrow/weds mate. bin held up for several reasons (my house was totally flooded on friday, had a hell of a busy weekend).

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th November 2011, 23:16
Did you get my PM?

Niles
Monday 14th November 2011, 23:18
Did you get my PM?

yes thanks mate. im on your pipes case. call you tomorrow to sort 1 or 2 final details out. Thanks.

AndysR
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 23:40
piccys of completed intake pipes will be posted up here tomorrow/weds mate. bin held up for several reasons (my house was totally flooded on friday, had a hell of a busy weekend).

You didn't burst your bag again did you Niles?

Niles
Wednesday 16th November 2011, 01:27
Quote; You didn't burst your bag again did you Niles?

No mate, went to the workshop, spent 5 hours there, went home to hear water splashing, waded to the bathroom downstairs to see the toilet water feed pipe blown and spewing water everywhere.
The nature of our house.....all downstairs either stone floors or oak wood.
We had our water meter read on the Wednesday. Did a quick sum and the burst pipe lost appx 600 litres of water. at least 4-5cm's of water on the floor of every room downstairs.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2011, 01:08
Just checking my email and I found an old one from Snabb - as I said before does the pipe work scope the electronically valved PTC intake as per the Snabb pipe?

http://www.snabb.us/Performance-Fresh-Air-Pipe-99-05-C70_p_12.html

They have a rubber grommet - I assume this will be included in your design?

Niles
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:01
Just checking my email and I found an old one from Snabb - as I said before does the pipe work scope the electronically valved PTC intake as per the Snabb pipe?

http://www.snabb.us/Performance-Fresh-Air-Pipe-99-05-C70_p_12.html

They have a rubber grommet - I assume this will be included in your design?

hi Dave. very useful. Many thanks. The gromit isn't included. You can reuse you existing one. Easy to squeeze in.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:03
Oh - but there will be an appropriate sized hole right?

Niles
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:07
take a look at the snabb pipe on the link. Theres 2 mate. 1 'black' with 1 nipple, 1 polished alloy with 3 nipples total. And, as mentioned, measure the maf diameter please.
This original thread was for the EARLY 70 series, they share the same pipes as the 850's, I got the pattern from an 850.
Happy to make this for you but is taking a little more time as basically I have to start again.
Sourcing the parts is done. Just DO NOT want to make it up, spend time and money to supply a pipe thats not right.
So, need to know, 3 nipple design or 1, is the ptc nipple bung/hole round, Hole diameter? (the 850 hole is not round). Maf diameter in mm.
Thanks!

Niles
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:08
Oh - but there will be an appropriate sized hole right?

yes. need to know holes diameter and the other couple of details requested above. Then, cracky cracky on on on!!!

Niles
Monday 21st November 2011, 10:30
what turbo are you running on your car dave?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2011, 13:29
19t

Niles
Monday 21st November 2011, 16:52
19t

ta.