PDA

View Full Version : 855 t5 1995 Ac removal

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:37
Spent today removing the a/c from the t5, Wow now boosting harder for longer,

Removed the Ac Condenser Rad infront of the interecooler
Removed the Reciever dryer (youd be suprised how heavey they are)
Removed the A/c Compressor (clutch wasnt working properly)

Quite a good weight saving the compressor weigh's Loads

Replaced the Original Belt obviously with a Shorter one Size 6PK1270

Car is sitting very slightly higher at the front now tho doh lol but she's like a rocket and the steering definatly feels more resposive.

Horrible job the top rear bolt is a Arse to get to, and the front two is best taking the offside arch liner out. (compressor that is)

LiamT4
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:43
Did you drive with it on all the time? Because unless its on then it shouldn't be using any power.

volvo
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:44
well now that you have removed it....should be quite a bit less weigt like you say and therefore go fasssssssssssster!

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:48
Did you drive with it on all the time? Because unless its on then it shouldn't be using any power.

If you have 1 less pulley to go round thats 1 less bit of friction/drag even tho it is freel wheeling.

My Compressor's clutch was seizing so thought i'd get ridd of the whole lot, also ive deffinatly better air flow into the Intercooler seeing as there nothing infront of it now other than the bumper of course.

T4Rick
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:50
It is a good weight saver i removed mine a while back.It left me with error codes which needs clearing

LiamT4
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:54
If you have 1 less pulley to go round thats 1 less bit of friction/drag even tho it is freel wheeling.

My Compressor's clutch was seizing so thought i'd get ridd of the whole lot, also ive deffinatly better air flow into the Intercooler seeing as there nothing infront of it now other than the bumper of course.

I know people do it when they have more of a track oriented car, where everybit less weight and even the smallest improvement in airflow helps. But i doubt it would get you any more than a tenth quicker on the 1/4mile.

If you ever do a 1/4mile that is ;) lol

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 17:55
I havent had any Error codes come up but this may be due to my car being obd1.

Also the system has a low pressure sensor by the bulk head, Which shut's the system down and wont power the compressor up if there not enough gas in the system.

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:06
I know people do it when they have more of a track oriented car, where everybit less weight and even the smallest improvement in airflow helps. But i doubt it would get you any more than a tenth quicker on the 1/4mile.

If you ever do a 1/4mile that is ;) lol

LOL every little helps when you've a Lowly 850 t5 and running a small tired 15g

A Quater mile will be on the cards to, But wanna get it dyno'd 1st to see what she's producing.

claymore
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:19
You could fit a different kind of pump down there now ;)

bigrotch
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:22
It is a good weight saver i removed mine a while back.It left me with error codes which needs clearing

is yours the obd2 and does it have climate control as me/merc85 thinking of doing mine but was woundering if it would throw a error as its more involved on the obd2

bigrotch
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:23
well if merc85 didnt know we was thinken about it he dos now pmsl more cut knuckles

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:49
You could fit a different kind of pump down there now ;)

LOL interesting damm you got me thinking lol

Jim S70R
Sunday 6th November 2011, 18:57
Sounds like you've been a busy boy today then..something else to add to the list to say you have achieved on the car yourself.

Friend of mine removed his a/c from his t5r due to fitting a large intercooler and wished he hadn't when we had a heat wave lol.

LiamT4
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:02
Sounds like you've been a busy boy today then..something else to add to the list to say you have achieved on the car yourself.

Friend of mine removed his a/c from his t5r due to fitting a large intercooler and wished he hadn't when we had a heat wave lol.

I need a/c on a normal road car. The best bit about my S70R is that it can cover huge distances in total comfort, no matter what the temp outside is.

Having no aircon and being stuck in traffic on a hot day, is not a nice place to be.

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:06
Another mod done then, sounds like a job well done too.

Must confess I couldn't live with the loss of my air conditioning which is why I invested in having it repaired. Even if it's only one hot day it's paid for itself because I absolutely hate being hot in a car.

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:07
I need a/c on a normal road car. The best bit about my S70R is that it can cover huge distances in total comfort, no matter what the temp outside is.

Having no aircon and being stuck in traffic on a hot day, is not a nice place to be.

Tbh that's exactly how I view mine, most of the driving I do in the car when I do use it is 100 plus miles and it's always a pleasure :)

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:11
Got the Wifes family BUS if we all decide to go out, A/c has never bothered me But the wife doesn't like a Hot car so we all go out in her's when the weather is hot.

My 850 is Now becoming more of a Toy/Interest and not a usual A -B vehicle which it once was, i've also just got a Company Van so dont need the car for work.

LiamT4
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:11
Tbh that's exactly how I view mine, most of the driving I do in the car when I do use it is 100 plus miles and it's always a pleasure :)

Thats why i'm not too annoyed with it not being as fast as i'd like, at the end of the day it was designed to be a big comfy car that can do big miles easily and it does its job perfectly.

The a/c is excellent for demisting windows fast too.

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:20
Thats why i'm not too annoyed with it not being as fast as i'd like, at the end of the day it was designed to be a big comfy car that can do big miles easily and it does its job perfectly.

The a/c is excellent for demisting windows fast too.

Agree with all the above, but it's nice when they're fast too ;) lol

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:21
Got the Wifes family BUS if we all decide to go out, A/c has never bothered me But the wife doesn't like a Hot car so we all go out in her's when the weather is hot.

My 850 is Now becoming more of a Toy/Interest and not a usual A -B vehicle which it once was, i've also just got a Company Van so dont need the car for work.

Fair enough, one of the reasons why I only did just under 3k in mine this year is because I've got a company car for the more mundane things, that also has air con.. lol Also when your not using it everyday you appreciate it more when you do drive it :)

Jim S70R
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:21

Oh well that sounds fair enough.

LiamT4
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:27
Agree with all the above, but it's nice when they're fast too ;) lol

Yeah, but compared to an average car mine aint too bad. :wink:

Most people are surprised at how it goes and even more surprised when i tell them that there are MUCH faster volvos than mine around!

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:29
Yeah, but compared to an average car mine aint too bad. :wink:

Most people are surprised at how it goes and even more surprised when i tell them that there are MUCH faster volvos than mine around!

Not disputing that at all :)

T5frankie
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:33
i just took 4 dust caps off my car and is now boosting harder and is faster too lol

p fandango
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:25
i just took 4 dust caps off my car and is now boosting harder and is faster too lol
well when you drive a lard-arsed V70 you have to do you can ;) lol

T5frankie
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:26
well when you drive a lard-arsed V70 you have to do you can ;) lol

my air con has been removed now too lol

p fandango
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:27
BT never had it lol

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:30

Oh!!!!! So it's not quite as heavy as it once was then.. lol

T5frankie
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:31
BT never had it lol

last summer kwikfit filled it up and it leaked out all over their floor lol (no charge)

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:56
last summer kwikfit filled it up and it leaked out all over their floor lol (no charge)

pmsl..

T5frankie
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:59
Oh!!!!! So it's not quite as heavy as it once was then.. lol

pmsl aint timed it since all this new stuff mate

p fandango
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:01
is the V70 all sorted & running as it should now?

hope you got the wheels rebalanced after you removed the valve caps lol

T4Rick
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:04
I havent had any Error codes come up but this may be due to my car being obd1.

Also the system has a low pressure sensor by the bulk head, Which shut's the system down and wont power the compressor up if there not enough gas in the system.

It wont show on the dash but it is there if you scan it mate.

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:08

Fingers crossed it's not slower.... :jaw:

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:11
Removing the Valve caps Will give you a Fighting chance Frankie, lol

I've carbon fibre caps on mine :P

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:13

So does that mean I'm at a disadvantage as I have metal ones... pmsl

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:13

Lard arse no more lol, it's still Brown Dude

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:14
So does that mean I'm at a disadvantage as I have metal ones... pmsl

Andy i'm only gonna compare mine wiv your's on a Overcast Grey Day lmfao just so i can make the result up lol

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:19
Andy i'm only gonna compare mine wiv your's on a Overcast Grey Day lmfao just so i can make the result up lol

PMSL, so effectively you want to cheat!! ;)

merc85
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:21
PMSL, so effectively you want to cheat!! ;)

Come on andy all joking aside, You know i think your car is the Nut's,

And we all know 850's are quicker than saffy's lol

AndysR
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:29
Come on andy all joking aside, You know i think your car is the Nut's,

And we all know 850's are quicker than saffy's lol

Thanks Merc I know it's only a bit of messing around..

I don't know these Saffy's aren't slow you know... ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 6th November 2011, 22:12

actually i have matching gay gold motorbike caps on mine lol

volvokid
Sunday 6th November 2011, 22:31
I think the AC on my saffy might have seized, I always turned it on when i ran the car to heat the engine but i dont hear it kicking in anymore. Never mind I know theres going to be a big garage bill when it see's daylight again.

smithy
Sunday 6th November 2011, 23:27
I think the AC on my saffy might have seized, I always turned it on when i ran the car to heat the engine but i dont hear it kicking in anymore. Never mind I know theres going to be a big garage bill when it see's daylight again.

remove the ac no more garage bill

Volvostorm
Sunday 6th November 2011, 23:31
All mine has been removed, the intercooler needed the space! Plus, it had a massive leak

Niles
Monday 7th November 2011, 00:12
Im going to do this to mine too. gently tho so if ever it needs to go back on it'll be replaceable.

volvokid
Monday 7th November 2011, 01:19
remove the ac no more garage bill

Na na i'm with some of the others on this one, i never bought the car to strip it out and race it :)

bigrotch
Monday 7th November 2011, 07:59
Neither did I but it's gunna happen deffo