PDA

View Full Version : A big hello and news on my V70 plans

daza-b
Saturday 5th November 2011, 10:11
hi guys i have just bought a 98 V70 t5 for parts, mainly for the engine, what mods can i do to the t5 engine to get a lot of power, looking for 350-400 if not more, its a 2.4 turbo, looking to do a full rebuild with new pistons, rods, uprated head, turbo ecu everything, where is the best place to get it all from at a reasonable price?? will forward some pictures of the V70 XLT i have, modifications include HID headlights and tinted windows (as i own a window tint business :D) so i will be breaking the v70 T5 so will have parts for sale too :D thanks guys and nice to meet you all :D

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th November 2011, 11:56
First of all a warm welcome to the forum :welcome:

IMHO you should sell both of them - buy a MY 2005 V70 t5 - which will actually have a 2.4l T5 engine in it (1998 T5 is only 2319cc). Save yourself the hassle of taking the engine apart - possibly look at a larger FMIC (3" core). Put a race cat downpipe on it & realistically you will be able to get somewhere around the 320 - 350 mark with a good chance of it being realiable. The ME9 engine has VVT on both intake & exhaust. I think there may also be large turbo options. There is some doubt over the fragility of the 2.5 T5 engine in the S60R/V70R - so I would steer clear.

By the time you have invested to get the 2319 engine & head anywhere near the figures above, you will have spent more than the value of the later T5. I am not trying to rain on your parade - I just think you should save yourself the hassle/money.Others may disagree.

I know for a fact that there is no 2.4 turbo T5 engines prior to 2005.

daza-b
Saturday 5th November 2011, 14:30
thanks for your honesty buddy, only reason i am keeping the XLT is due to it being my granddads and he passed it down to me so a lot of sentimental value, reason i have gone for a 99 v70 is i prefer the shape to the newer one, and as for the 98 t5 on the log book it has 24 something unless my mate read it wrong lol so not sure whats going on there

t5_monkey
Saturday 5th November 2011, 14:43
A later 2.4T5 will get a genuine dyno proven 350bhp with just bolt ons.

- injectors
- downpipe
- FMIC
- Remap

Bingo!

Spend the rest on a good suspension set up - you'll need it! :)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th November 2011, 16:58
I suggest you re-examine the log book because the only engine available for T5 at that time is 2319cc. That didn't change until 2005.

Big power projects are easier to do when you start closer to the end goal. Whilst I do not wish to detract from the memory of your Grandad - sticking an old T5 engine in to get there will be a long and painful process.