PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 Braking hard at high speed!

MattM
Friday 4th November 2011, 13:29
Seems that when doing anything over 100mph and trying to stop in a reasonable time isn't possible in my S60 T5. It's not the first time this has happened but when braking this way it feels as though the pads are just sliding off the disks. Thought I was going to hit the roundabout at 50mph instead of the 30 I was aiming for.

Jamest5r
Friday 4th November 2011, 13:39
Don't drive at over a 100 then you will be fine

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 4th November 2011, 13:49
How about new pads or a new set of discs.
Not to mention a bleed.:ready2go:

M-R-P
Friday 4th November 2011, 13:57
do a full brake/clutch flush (£12 for 2L of dot 4) - cheap way of fixing that sort of thing.
Check how much meat is left on the disks, should be over 25mm, 305mm brembo disks are £88 ish from GSF
check how much is left on the pads, obvious when they're knackered £37ish from GSF/Europarts.
Good luck.

Santa
Friday 4th November 2011, 19:23
You were doing over a hundred towards a roundabout? eeerrrrmmm save it for the track mate

LiamT4
Friday 4th November 2011, 20:26
Sounds like your pads may be "glazed" and/or your brake fluid has boiled.

MattM
Friday 4th November 2011, 22:38
There was no hard braking before hand.
And in Milton Keynes you're always going towards a roundabout :P
Don't get me wrong, I don't do this all the time, it's happened only twice and I expected more from Volvo brakes.

t5_monkey
Saturday 5th November 2011, 00:39
slow down a bit mate....

sometimes brakes can be a bit soft after a long cruise not touching them.

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 00:56
There was no hard braking before hand.
And in Milton Keynes you're always going towards a roundabout :P
Don't get me wrong, I don't do this all the time, it's happened only twice and I expected more from Volvo brakes.

System flush and check your pads/disks. I can personally vouch for volvo (brembo oem) 305s and volvo plod pads with fresh fluid slowing from 135mph to 25 mph VERY quickly.

PLUS - P2 brake systems react differently depending on weather you are progressive with them or if you stomp on them. took me a while to work that out ;)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th November 2011, 12:11
Hamish & I were out at Oulton Park - he was in the tuned S60 D5 - sometimes referred to as the green goddess. It has no problem with braking - as I can personally testify.

HLM can provide a lot of help concerning improved braking on phase 2 cars.

I hope that you will keep an eye on our meetups & events & come to the next track day.

wegal
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 12:57
You lose brake feel in the S60 once the brake pads or disks get below a certain level. The brake fluid change will help as well.

Mine is 6 years old and is now on its 3rd set of front disks after 74k miles. Its also on its 3rd set of brake fluid.

New disks.. ( I recommend sticking with genuine volvo units as they dont warp as fast as after market stuff) new pads and new fluids and you will have the brake feel back.

Also the volvo brake pedal on the S60 ( or at least on mine ) is not progressive. You will feel the pedal go down quite easily and you feel a brake effect then the pedal goes hard at a certain point ... keep pressing down and you will find that the brakes work very very well indeed.

I can lock up my wheels at 140 mph on the standard volvo brakes... trust me there is nowt wrong with them so long as the components are in good condition.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 13:02
You lose brake feel in the S60 once the brake pads or disks get below a certain level. The brake fluid change will help as well.

Mine is 6 years old and is now on its 3rd set of front disks after 74k miles. Its also on its 3rd set of brake fluid.

New disks.. ( I recommend sticking with genuine volvo units as they dont warp as fast as after market stuff) new pads and new fluids and you will have the brake feel back.

Also the volvo brake pedal on the S60 ( or at least on mine ) is not progressive. You will feel the pedal go down quite easily and you feel a brake effect then the pedal goes hard at a certain point ... keep pressing down and you will find that the brakes work very very well indeed.

I can lock up my wheels at 140 mph on the standard volvo brakes... trust me there is nowt wrong with them so long as the components are in good condition.

How much was the underwear bill on that one ? :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9nzty_AArsU/TOdOR9rPrMI/AAAAAAAAAqA/2XkOT33TLdI/s320/surprised-cat.jpg