PDA

View Full Version : ATF Changing - Advice Pls

swordy21
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 09:46
I need to change my Transmission Fluid. The car has done about 20K since I've had it and the fluid is a little browner than I would like and is starting to smell a bit. I have also noticed it is a bit harsher on changes and seems to short shift 2nd to 3rd. No other issues really and more of a precaution for longevity. So Questions:-

How much ATF should I buy?
What diameter clear plastic tubing do I need to fit over the (is it?) return hose for flushing.
Any specific spanners/tools needed?

Obviously when started must be finished, so I don't want to get 1/2 way through and find I'm missing something.

Cheers guys

k690bpp
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 17:35
check this: http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 12:13
If you want I can come down and see you and show you how to do it. You need about 15 litres to do a proper flush. I have done about 5 full changes. I can show you the new C70 and the 19T?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 12:16
I can also bring you some shims to stop yer brakes from squeaking.

k690bpp
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 16:45
are you still selling atf coolers dave???

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 16:57
Yeah mate - I developed the system so I can still make them up.

k690bpp
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 17:05
how much and do you come and fit it or do i come see you.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 22:45
Location is entirely upto you. Personally I prefer my place but that is just coz it is easier.
I did Andrew Cardwells install in Cambs - so I am flexible.

Price is as stated on this thread (you can see pics of his install)
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=899

I am using top quality parts which are not cheap to buy. Install takes about 1 - 2 hrs.
If you want me to come to you then I can but I will need petrol expenses.

swordy21
Thursday 18th August 2005, 12:16
If you want I can come down and see you and show you how to do it. You need about 15 litres to do a proper flush. I have done about 5 full changes. I can show you the new C70 and the 19T?

Cheers for the offer Dave, may very well take you up on it, however need to work out when to do this, only got 1 weekend left before we go on hols, ie this one, and need to use this to get the rest of our camping tackle sorted.

May be easier timewise, if I could pop up to you on a weekday if you're not working, I can always justify a trip out of the office. I'll have a think and maybe give you a ring. Would deffo like to see the new car & turbo......I'll bring my steel pants.

Ref brakes squeeking - I must have the only T5 now with no shims and no squeeks.....since I changed my rotors and pads, no squeeks. I did find the culprit though, was the front OS calliper, piston was sticky, so a bit of fiddling and that sorted that. If I get more time, I may do a complete refurb on the calliper, and get the boot back in place properly.

I'll let you know on the ATF thing.....

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 18th August 2005, 12:23
I have nothing planned for this weekend - so I would be more than happy to come on down. I can do the change and you got and sort out yer bits and pieces?