PDA

View Full Version : 98 v70t5 throttle switch?

danthet5man
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 08:44
Hi newbie here. Ive had the engine management light on for a cpl of days so took it in for diagnosis. I was told that the problem is the throttle switch. The car doesnt like to start and has poor idle speed (ie searches). Has any one changed this switch? Is it an easy task? will it improve start up , performance etc? any advice greatly appreciated. cheers Dan

Vikingxl
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 09:35
I hope you dont mean the Etm as this is a lot of money.

danthet5man
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 15:11
no the etm was introduced on the 2000 model. any one else know ? can the switch be overhauled? Took car out on lunch break and the performance is getting worse !!!!!! helpppp !!!!!!

Rufe
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 16:20
sounds like you mean 14a in this pic of the throttle housing then mate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/v70t5thrtswitch.jpg

14a) part number is 1336385 and its £57 plus vat retail. its a fairly easy job to do mate :)

Vikingxl
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 16:31
no the etm was introduced on the 2000 model. any one else know ? can the switch be overhauled? Took car out on lunch break and the performance is getting worse !!!!!! helpppp !!!!!!
Mines a 98 with etm the ME7 was introduced late 98

Rufe
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 16:36
well it was the 1999 model years that had the potentiometer at the pedal, instead of the cable. in other words your car will have a letter Y as the tenth digit in the chassis number, indictating its a 1999 model. volvo have a habit of calling cars a year early, so some cars registered in 1998 will be 1999 model years as far as volvo are concerned. gets confusing for some people lol

Tosh
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 16:39
I have a spare of these, came off when I replaced the entire throttle body housing (mech prob). The electrical part should be 100% okay.
If you're interested I could arrange to post it to you. If it works great, call it £20 and you could forward the cash to me. If it's not 100% then simply send it back. Your call, the offer's been made...

Vikingxl
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 16:51
well it was the 1999 model years that had the potentiometer at the pedal, instead of the cable. in other words your car will have a letter Y as the tenth digit in the chassis number, indictating its a 1999 model. volvo have a habit of calling cars a year early, so cars registered in 1998 will be 1999 model years as far as volvo are concerned.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but cheers Rufe that sorts out some of the confusion i have had with the year of my car.

danthet5man
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 08:28
Tosh, many thanks for the offer, I will take you up on it if your sure. Many thanks for the responses to everyone else! This forum site fantastic ! Tosh if you email me i`ll send you postal address. many many thanks Dannyjarvis@tiscali.co.uk

audimadmike
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 09:20
That part Rufe shows the diagram (throttle housing) of has just been replaced on my 850 as part of a recall!
Something to do with the emissions, it doesn't idle as well (up and down)

Mike

danthet5man
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 10:39
audimadmike, have you had the car from new? how would a 2nd hand owner know of recalls? any ideas?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 11:04
audimadmike, have you had the car from new? how would a 2nd hand owner know of recalls? any ideas?I think if you ring a dealer with your Vin number they can tell if it's had any recall work done.

audimadmike
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 13:27
I think if you ring a dealer with your Vin number they can tell if it's had any recall work done.

Thats right TDF. I phoned the dealer to get price of wheel bearing and radio code, just gave them reg number and they're computer showed it hadn't had its recall work done, after 11 years!! Not the supplying dealer just the local 1 at Carlisle.
Mike