PDA

View Full Version : 850 race car wont start!

Rydell
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 10:54
Having started this project with lots of confidence, I have hit a problem.

My 854 T5 race car has been thoroughly stripped along with large chunks of the wiring loom and an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser. I reconnected all cables that had been routed through the alarm and all appeared to be well.

Now, I have installed my cut-off switch and starter panel etc, the car will only turn-over. Just after starting to turn over, the engine tries to catch, then goes back to turning over.

All very vague, I know, but are there any common problems or suggestions as to what I can check first? There was also a plastic ring that sat over the ignition barrel, (before this was removed). What does it do? It has 2 wires coming from it.

I have removed the wiring for the diagnostics interface, so unable to use this. The car does have fuel in it and was running recently (within last 2 weeks).

Any help or advice is welcomed.

Tomcat
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 11:32
Think the plastic ring picks up the signal from the transponder in the ignition key, have you removed it?.

JT
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 13:13
:worthless:

Come on, get some pics up! Lol

Rydell
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 13:23
Ignition barrel has been removed. The plastic ring is still attached to the loom. I have tried twisting the 2 cables together because presumably that is what happens when the key is present?

Pics to follow, but its nothing you havent seen before Johnny ;-)

Rydell
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 14:07
Johnny. Do you still have the transponder ring and ignition key in your car????

ncarnall
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 15:50
I think the key contains a coded chip which is read by the antenna ring, which send signal to immobiliser module that is behind glovebox. I don't think twisting wires together to short them is going to work. But I maybe completely wrong.
Good luck with sorting it and pics of the car would be good!

Rydell
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 15:53
I think you are right. The immobiliser needs to know the key is present. What I will try next is to tape the key to the ring having un twisted the cables. I hope the fix is this easy. B-0

JT
Tuesday 1st November 2011, 17:28
Johnny. Do you still have the transponder ring and ignition key in your car????

I dont.
mine is an earlier model,which appeared not to have all that security stuff on it.
I certainly dont use the key anymore and have never suffered with starting problems.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd November 2011, 01:39
The plastic ring is the antenna for the immobiliser to sent a radio signal to the key, this signal then excites the key to return a signal to the immobiliser, which is then checked that it is the correct key that is paired with the immobiliser. That all being correct the immobiliser then sends a signal to the ecu to allow the ignition to fire. If the signal is missing then no spark.....no go. Trying to place the key next to the antenna wolud probably work as long as the rest of the immobiliser wiring is still in place so the ecu can get its initiation signal. At present i am unable to find my info on the wiring connection to the ecu, as far as pin no. voltage etc and whether this is a pulse or continuous voltage. As this signal to the ecu could possibly be placed and the immobilser removed completely. If i find the other info i will add it to your post, hope this is of help to you.

Rydell
Wednesday 2nd November 2011, 19:03
I think the key contains a coded chip which is read by the antenna ring, which send signal to immobiliser module that is behind glovebox. I don't think twisting wires together to short them is going to work. But I maybe completely wrong.
Good luck with sorting it and pics of the car would be good!

Rickard runs once more.

Re-connected the transponder ring and taped the key to it. Car fired 3rd time of asking on its new starter button!! Woohoo!

JT
Wednesday 2nd November 2011, 19:05
Fannnntassssstic!!

said Murray Walker!! lol

just a thought,I'm thinking the tape is temporary?
wouldn't want the immobiliser to cut in if the tape gave up on entry to paddock hill,for example

Rydell
Wednesday 2nd November 2011, 21:30
Yes, just temporary. Someone one here is looking into a bypass for the immobiliser. Watch this space.